Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horses

• 08-09-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I've a field directly behind my back garden. My gf's father breeds horses and I rent him my field.

There's 3 there at moment, Bess a black mare, her foal who hasn't been named yet, we refer to him as foley, and a grey Stallion, John Paul.

They're such beautiful social creatures, I go out every evening and they come over to the fence to me. I can see why people love them.

I'll hate it now when he takes them away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Buy yourself a horse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There was a TV programme where a guy married his horse in the US. Maybe you need to move there to sort out this personal issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The next time he asks to use your field just say....Nay!!

That will learn him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

Maybe you could stop renting the field to him? – If you let the horses stay free of charge he won't be moving them! Which do you love more – the money? – Or the horses? You decide... Or – offer to help out, for free – bits and pieces just, wherever they're kept. That way, you can still be around the horses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

The boy in the hallway was drinking a glass of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I remember many years ago running up the back field in excitement to break the wonderful news to my grandfather that his horse Barney was having a foal.

We could see its leg hanging out of Barney's belly.

I remember many years ago running up the back field in excitement to break the wonderful news to my grandfather that his horse Barney was having a foal.

We could see its leg hanging out of Barney's belly.
    And what happened???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

And what happened???

Barney lost his erection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Barney lost his erection.
    Oh. I see... – I was wondering why she was called Barney!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

They're such beautiful social creatures, I go out every evening and they come over to the fence to me. I can see why people love them.

They come because they think you have food, not because they're social.

They're not everyone's cup of tea (inexplicably), but i agree OP, they're incredibly peaceful, relaxing animals even just to watch.

One of the most beautiful things about horses is their silence. They don't ordinarily make a sound, and even then they usually neigh only out of excitement, for example when they're arriving into the yard and catch sight of their colleagues.

But when they're in pain, they cannot yelp or make a noise to let their human know what's bothering them. When I was a kid we had a pony with kissing spines. This meant that it was agonising for him to have a rider on his back, because the vertebrae and the associated nerves would rub together (you can imagine how painful that would be), but we only found out accidentally. That used to make me cry, thinking of how brave he was. Horses, in general, have a great, quiet bravery to them.

I can't even bear to see a horse with a piece of straw in its eye, because they can't just flick it out like we can, or cry in frustration. They live in their own inner worlds. Which is probably why i find cruelty to any animal, but especially horses, to be so obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hammer89 wrote: »
    They come because they think you have food, not because they're social.
    I've been doing this every evening for the past 6 weeks. I never have food on me.

At first they were very standoffish and wouldn't let me touch them.

Now they come over and put the head in for a few rubs.

I've been doing this every evening for the past 6 weeks. I never have food on me.

I'd say they just like you.

Yeah, many horses love to be stroked, by humans or by one another. They'll often even (literally) scratch one another's backs. it's very reassuring to know, despite all we put them through, that they still enjoy our company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I love horses, and donkeys :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

One of the most beautiful things about horses is their silence.

That's a poncey sentence.
    Horses, in general, have a great, quiet bravery to them.

Another one there, I saw it.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    That's a poncey sentence.

Another one there, I saw it.
    Who cares, like? I'm not twelve, and I don't want to be in your gang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

My sister moved house 2 months ago, and the new house has a few different sorts of fruit trees in the back garden. Behind the house, there's a field with this lovely white horse in it. My nieces love the horse, and a good percentage of the apples from the apple trees have gone to the horse. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭twignme

A local farmer puts his horse on my field next to my house, which I let him use for free. Some of the horses come over for company, some will only come at the sight of a carrot, a bit of cupboard love. But whatever tempts them, I get the chance to breathe in the wonderful scent of a horse that you can only get around their neck and ears. Nothing quite like it in the world. Wonderful creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Theyre nice to look at.
    Not as easy to work with and care for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Horse steak is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

twignme wrote: »
    A local farmer puts his horse on my field next to my house, which I let him use for free. Some of the horses come over for company, some will only come at the sight of a carrot, a bit of cupboard love. But whatever tempts them, I get the chance to breathe in the wonderful scent of a horse that you can only get around their neck and ears. Nothing quite like it in the world. Wonderful creatures.

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a person"

Paraphrased from Sir Winston Churchill

Advertisement