Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC - won't power on with HD attached

Options
  • 08-09-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Having worked as an IT pretender for a while I'm not a total numpty, but this one has me beat. I had a pc built a few years ago. No world beater, but a decent system which worked away fine for the last 2 years or so. A few weeks ago it refused to power on. I thought it was down to dodgy RAM, but I have replaced that to no avail.

I had some time today so spent a bit of time trying to diagnose the problem and basically, the computer won't stay powered on for any longer than a few seconds with a hard drive plugged in. I have tried 2 different SSD's and a mechanical HD and all exhibit the same symptoms. I have disconnected anything else from the motherboard and have removed the mobo from the case to rule out shorts.

Currently, I have the mobo (MSI Gigabyte H81M-HD3) on the bench. 8GB of RAM,processor (i5), monitor, mouse & keyboard (bluetooth) attached and it boots to the bios without a problem. If I attach a HD, it fans will spin up for a second and then shut down again, repeating this until I turn it off. Sometimes it stays on a bit longer and will get to the windows splash screen, but then shuts down again.

I'm currently thinking some sort of power issue, but I have a 500W PSU and I would have thought if it was dying, it just wouldn't power on at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i had a problem like that before and it was the PSU at fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Agree, PSU problem on the SATA rail. Try with a different PSU and see, if its modular try move the SATA cable to another Peripheral port.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Agree, PSU problem on the SATA rail. Try with a different PSU and see, if its modular try move the SATA cable to another Peripheral port.

Thanks for the input folks. A closer look at the PSU shows it's an unbranded cheapo unit, so I'll replace that and see where it leaves me

Advertisement