Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best food the day/night before long run?

• 08-09-2018 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

I changed my diet around at the start of the year, eating mostly lower carb and feel a lot better for it, but due to injury I haven't done any long runs for the guts of 9 months and very little running at all for probably 7-8 months. I'm training for DCM so in recent weeks the weekend longer runs have ramped up. In the past I would always head out the door early for my long runs with no food to activate fat burning/adaption and it wouldn't be a problem but I've noticed I'm struggling the last few weeks. Last week I was planning on doing 14 miles but had to walk home after 11 miles, had a horrible bonky feeling. Today I decided to have breakfast and put my run back a few hours, did 16 miles but half way through I was really struggling and thought I'd have to pull up again and walk home, but it was like the bonk went away and the fat burning kicked in and I finished ok this time.
    I'm not having any issues during the week when doing interval or tempo stuff, but I'm doing them early afternoon after breakfast, like what I did today.
    Anyone any advice on what meal/food to eat the day/night before my long runs so I can go out on empty the following morning and avoid any issues, I've no problem adding some higher carb foods if needs be. Or would I be better at this stage having breakfast before heading out.
    I know it's a bit late at this stage to be experimenting with only 7 weeks to go but I'm worried I'll struggle on the day if I don't get this long run feeding correct.
    Apologies for the long post, I'd appreciate any advice/feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Eat a breakfast. I think that fat adaptation stuff is good for folks chasing down the last 1% of performance, but for us mere mortals we’re better off being well fed and watered at all times. Maybe an occasional run before breakfast might be beneficial, but running without food just seems to me like you’re making it harder for yourself and you’re putting at risk all the other benefits of a long run - it’s not just about learning to burn fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sounds like you just need to get more long runs in. As you said you haven't done one in 9 months. It takes time. A coffee for me with a scone or a croissant is the right balance for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Singer wrote: »
    Eat a breakfast. I think that fat adaptation stuff is good for folks chasing down the last 1% of performance, but for us mere mortals we’re better off being well fed and watered at all times. Maybe an occasional run before breakfast might be beneficial, but running without food just seems to me like you’re making it harder for yourself and you’re putting at risk all the other benefits of a long run - it’s not just about learning to burn fat.

I'd have to agree with Singer here especially given your history with injuries, low iron and big fall off in performances over the last few years. Now isn't the time to be getting fancy with diet and making things more difficult than they already have been. Get the simple things right for now. I'd also say that planning to run a marathon on short notice isn't the best idea after been out for so long and with your history as you need to get back on the bus before overloading yourself again. If you want to get back to where you were a few years ago, you're going to have to make decisions with your best long-term interests at heart as you will just end up repeating the past again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks lads, probably best to go fuelled for the next few weekends.
    I'll be happy just to make the start line, it's an event i really enjoy, didn't enjoy that run last week though. :eek:

Advertisement