Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This notion that weed is grand needs some opposition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Yes. I stopped in Castletown for a swim at about 3 am.

I wasn’t driving my usual car. I was in an Austin A35. It was like driving in the 1950’s except I had long hair and was smoking CBD as if it was 20 Major

before you come back to educate me....save yourself the bother... I'm about to get a ban ;)

why would you smoke it if it didn't have some affect on you. (rhetorical question) no one sober spouts sh!te like 'relaxed and alert at the same time'

If you are ever out night driving in your little fantasy world 'relaxed and alert at the same time' and imagining yourself in some old black and white movie....and crash into my family, that we have worked our bolloxes off to get to where they are today,
    I will take your fantasy living arse and bury you alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

Lackey wrote: »
    before you come back to educate me....save yourself the bother... I'm about to get a ban ;)

why would you smoke it if it didn't have some affect on you. (rhetorical question) no one sober spouts sh!te like 'relaxed and alert at the same time'

If you are ever out night driving in your little fantasy world 'relaxed and alert at the same time' and imagining yourself in some old black and white movie....and crash into my family, that we have worked our bolloxes off to get to where they are today,

I smoke it because it makes me feel relaxed. It helps me to focus. When I smoke it & Rachel is hugging me I just feel so strong. No THC means no harm. Now go drive your self driving car to your doctors office and get your flu job like a sheep

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I smoke it because it makes me feel relaxed. It helps me to focus. When I smoke it & Rachel is hugging me I just feel so strong. No THC means no harm. Now go drive your self driving car to your doctors office and get your flu job like a sheep

Boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've seen what it can do to people after long term use. It should remain banned and enforced with an iron fist.

Balanadan wrote: »
    Boring!

Sleeping in Rachel’s loving arms. Yes that’s boring. Not

Boring!

my radar must be down :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Iv never taken a weed before but I've heard stories about people who lose their minds from it. Fighting, reckless abandonment and in some cases murder.

Crazy stuff altogether.

Autochange wrote: »
    Iv never taken a weed before but I've heard stories about people who lose their minds from it. Fighting, reckless abandonment and in some cases murder.

Crazy stuff altogether.

They were obviously smoking high THC weed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Crazy stuff altogether.

Sounds like alcohol!

• Advertisement

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've seen what it can do to people after long term use. It should remain banned and enforced with an iron fist.

Then alcohol should also be banned yes?

Owl. wrote: »
    Then alcohol should also be banned yes?

No, it's not already banned.

Patww79 wrote: »
    No, it's not already banned.

So? I've seen what it can do to people after long term use. If it's dangerous (and I believe it has caused more damage to this country than any other drug) should it not be banned? The headshops were all forced to close for selling things that weren't previously banned. Why not alcohol?

And someone constantly using the word "boring" is also boring.

Owl. wrote: »
    And someone constantly using the word "boring" is also boring.

Boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Crazy stuff altogether.

That's not weed. That's called 3 a.m. outside the takeaway.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

The damage is done over time and when it is seen it is too late and permanent. And it is frighteningly common among ex users. Keep the ban. Remember the head shops, they gave a sense that the products are legal so must be ok and safe, even with descriptions such as soap and weedkiller and do not consume, sales were rocketing. Gov. has to legislate for the general good so we need to keep the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive been smoking for 30 years its had no effect on ..... whatsyoucallit ... ah sure nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thought to be fair, weed is like whiskey in that it depends how you take it.

Taking potent weed or not having the experience to have a guess at the strength of what you're smoking - basically looking just to get completely stoned - is a bit like drinking straight whiskey quickly, just to get drunk.

People though smoke grass thats more suited to their own taste in terms of potency. You can do everything you could ever do, but in a more relaxed way. Thats like drinking whiskey for the taste, or at least adding water first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

What bothers me is that some people see weed as the solution of all problems in the world, from textiles over food ingredient to magical hokey pokey cancer cure.
    It's not as amazing as people make it out to be. It is versatile, yes, but people don't really care about hemp textiles or ropes really, many use that as a lame excuse for private use.

I don't like weed but I'd still be in favour of legalising it. Reason being, I'm a pretty avid plant person. It grows in so many different kinds and that makes it interesting. I know a thing or two about growing and caring for them and about their properties. I'm not cool with how modified the crap is that you now get in baggies from the friendly dealer around the corner, it's like only having a choice between 80% alcohol or nothing. I'd like to see that people get a feeling for what's out there and what works for them and that there are a lot of options and not only some "fcuk me up bad" weed.
    People won't stop using it even now when it's illegal, I'd rather see some awareness taught like it happens with alcohol than a total ban.
    Self-responsibility and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Boring!

My mate has a 3D printer, could print a handgun in his living room if he wanted. Why are the big bad bullies telling him he can't do this even if he wanted to? He's only be shooting at tin cans ffs. Boo ****ing hoo.

I'd like to see you try and rob a bank with a spliff.

I'd like to see you try and rob a bank with a spliff.

Hold it in your pocket and pretend it's a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Banks don't have cash nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

There were at least two lads that I grew up with who ended up with very serous mental health issues after smoking a fair bit of weed, and they have never been right since. Still in and out of psychiatric units yet. Having seen the damage done to them and their families first hand, I don't believe it's the innocent relaxant everyone is promoting it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Well plenty of people don't condone it, but I reckon its effects can depend on how much is used, and whether the person already has mental health problems.

I know one particular couple who used to spend their days stoned - really not good of course. Then he started to develop psychiatric issues, but they were already there - the weed exacerbated them. She was fine though - no issues in that regard, but she did stop using it in light of his problems.

Extremely regular usage is definitely not a good idea obviously but there are people who smoke it just now and again, like having a few pints now again, and don't have any problems from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

Inform yourselves, the problems with weed is its illegality, who knows what the feck you're getting.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabisandmentalhealth.aspx?theme=mobile

"It is also known that not everyone who uses cannabis, even at a young age, develops a psychotic illness. The available research shows that those who have a family history of a psychotic illness, or those who have certain characteristics such as schizotypal personality, or possibly have certain types of genes, may increase the risk of developing a psychotic illness following the regular use of strong cannabis."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Your Face wrote: »
    It's not fashionable to be sceptical about legalising drugs.

A few years ago, when I first started advocating legalisation, people thought I was mad. Now a lot more people agree, which I think is great.

Living in Colombia has made me more in favour of legalisation than ever. It's easy to favour the war on drugs until you see the amount of damage it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Only sad fools, imo, will argue that at present illegal drugs should be made legal.
    No one has ever been any smarter/wiser or richer from taking them.

You could say the same for Wine Gums, Tayto Crisps and Chocolate. Should they be banned too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

There were at least two lads that I grew up with who ended up with very serous mental health issues after smoking a fair bit of weed, and they have never been right since. Still in and out of psychiatric units yet. Having seen the damage done to them and their families first hand, I don't believe it's the innocent relaxant everyone is promoting it to be.

Good point, but at the same time, prohibition didn't spare them its effects, did it?

I smoked some weed a few times many years ago. It didn't lead on to anything harder and it didn't cause any health problems. Most people i know tell me they've tried it at some point and yet they lead normal productive lives. Overdoing it with anything is bad, whether it's alcohol, cigarettes, fizzy drinks...or weed.

Lackey wrote: »

I'm not going to crash into you because I drive carefully.

You would never speak to me like that if you met me in person.

How do you propose to punish me. A good spanking?

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    That's not weed. That's called 3 a.m. outside the takeaway.

Bunmahon right about now

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

listermint wrote:
    Yet the OP is ok with sniffing lines and dropping pills that came out of someone's arse.

listermint wrote:
    Quality.

You obviously have experience in this. You should enlightened the thread on how this worked out for you. Not a great idea by your tone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

A few years ago, when I first started advocating legalisation, people thought I was mad. Now a lot more people agree, which I think is great.

Living in Colombia has made me more in favour of legalisation than ever. It's easy to favour the war on drugs until you see the amount of damage it does.

So you were advocating legalisation before it was cool.:pac:

I've been smoking weed/cannabis since I was a teenager, and I'm now in my 40s. In my mid 20s, with a decent income, and a group of colleagues who also smoked, we would go through quite a bit regularly.

I can say, in all honesty, that my memory ability along with recall suffered from that period. My mind became slower, with a lack of quickness that was present prior to that. Oh, I've regained a lot of that quickness by working on it, but the idea that smoking doesn't affect your memory/mind, is rubbish.

Still.. I do believe that Adults should be able to choose. I still smoke weed occasionally. I avoid the bongs, or any heavy usage devices, but I'm very happy to have a few joints a couple of times a year. It's a comfortable drug, and I have a far better response from using it, than with Alcohol, or the dozen other drugs I've used. (Although Shrooms, and LSD will always have a tender place in my heart).

I would point out though that the important parts of this is to balance your intake with the realities of living, and to have the discipline to control your intake. I've friends who don't, and they're essentially wasters. On the flip side, I have other friends who smoke on the weekends, and run their own successful businesses the remainder of the time.

The stereotype of the waster stoner is simply a stereotype because many people don't have the self-discipline to control their lives. Not just doing drugs, but to balance the whole of their lives. Weed is just an easy excuse for them failing to take responsibility... but the excuse could just as easily be alcohol, gambling, computer games, etc. Excuses are easy to find.

For my own part, I say legalise and regulate it. Tax it, and have it provide some good for the country. Better quality weed on offer would go a long way to reduce the paranoia or the associated health risks. I suspect many of the issues I had from smoking weed, came from what was mixed with it to increase weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Your Face wrote: »

So you were advocating legalisation before it was cool.:pac:

Hipster drug legalization.

I definitely believed in it before most people did. Not that I am smug, I havr often been very wrong or behind on various issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One difference between alcohol and weed is that you need to be over 18 to buy alcohol.

Another is that I've found more people to be angry drunks than paranoid stoners. Added to this, paranoid stoners don't tend to harm others, or stop smoking because it makes them paranoid. Angry drunks harm others, and don't see drink as the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Weed gives me crippling panic attacks, even for weeks after. Smoked some when I was younger and thought I was dying, got the foolish notion when I was older that it would be different for some reason and the outcome was the same. Took ages to get back to feeling normal after it, just doesn't agree with me I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Personal responsibility and moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

mad muffin wrote: »
    You might not be at risk of oding but it has its long lasting side effects.

I smoked weed daily from my late teens to early 20’s.

Inhaling smoke is never a good thing. But the main reason I gave it up was because instead of enjoying the high. It was making me paranoid, and giving me anxiety.

It also caused memory issues, which I suffer still to this day. Some 20 years since giving it up. In particular, I now find I’m hunting for words when talking to people.

I can’t say I’d recommend it.

Sorry but you can't put this down to weed, the symptoms you describe sound more like aspergers.

A lot of the issues people have in my opinion is from the way it's smoked, I found out years ago mixing tobacco products and weed made me paranoid, anxious and quiet. Once I stopped mixing it and smoking it on it's own it was A LOT more pleasant. I haven't smoked in a good while a few times a year but don't miss it at all, same with alcohol have the odd beer but given the association with health issues and the hangovers it's not worth it. If I did want to be inebriated though I wouldn't touch alcohol given the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I don't smoke it personally (anymore) but I do think it should be legalised, along with all other drugs.

My problem is the idea that is spread around that weed is some kind of miracle drug. That smoking has no consequences and in fact can cure you of all kinds of illnesses. Absolutely CBD has its place in medicine and I'm sure smoking weed will help cancer patients with pain management and appetite but in most cases its not going to cure your cancer.

Smoking weed regularly over long periods of time can't be good for you. I've seen it turn people into fractions of themselves. I've seen people try to give up weed but can't. It is an addictive drug. Weed should be legalised but treated like alcohol. The adverse affects should be made known and there should be a time and place for it. Having the odd joint with a few friends is harmless but not first thing in the morning before you get in the car to go to work, or on your lunch break or every time you are feeling a bit tense etc etc If you are doing that you are are probably an addict and potentially putting other peoples lives in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Sorry but you can't put this down to weed, the symptoms you describe sound more like aspergers.

A lot of the issues people have in my opinion is from the way it's smoked, I found out years ago mixing tobacco products and weed made me paranoid, anxious and quiet. Once I stopped mixing it and smoking it on it's own it was A LOT more pleasant. I haven't smoked in a good while a few times a year but don't miss it at all, same with alcohol have the odd beer but given the association with health issues and the hangovers it's not worth it. If I did want to be inebriated though I wouldn't touch alcohol given the choice.

:confused: Aspergers has nothing to do with memory problems or difficulty finding words. People with Aspergers have difficulty with social interaction and social queues but that is not the same thing.
    But people do these things all the time with nicotine and it is ok. It's been scientifically proven in studies that people who smoke weed are better safer drivers

That's not true at all. Studies have shown that smoking weed effects concentration and reaction times negatively when driving. It found people were steering worse and not as reactive to what was happening around them

I like my weed but driving after smoking is a big no no for me.

:confused: Aspergers has nothing to do with memory problems or difficulty finding words. People with Aspergers have difficulty with social interaction and social queues but that is not the same thing.

That's not true at all. Studies have shown that smoking weed effects concentration and reaction times negatively when driving. It found people were steering worse and not as reactive to what was happening around them

Totally agree and deleted that after reply.

You would never speak to me like that if you met me in person.

Yes I Would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I'd never argue that drugs are harmful, my opposition to prohibition comes from the same place as my opposition to the ban on prostitution, to any limits on consensual sexual activity, to minimum alcohol pricing, to attempts at social engineering through taxation or legislation - simply put, one's body is entirely one's own to do with as one wishes, and if harming it is part of that, then so be it. It's absolutely, 100%, completely and unequivocally nobody's business but the individual who resides within the body that's being exposed to the risk of harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Is this even a prevalent notion? Of course abusing weed will have negative consequences, much like many other drugs!

Moderation in use is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ridiculous thread IMO....

I stopped reading after :

"I like a pill or a line of cocaine but weed is bad"

We will leave it there so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Marijuana smoke makes me reclusive. And leaves me with terrible dark shadows

tumblr_ms8xir6KEi1qdvy33o2_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mad muffin wrote: »
    I smoked weed daily from my late teens to early 20’s.
    Sorry but you can't put this down to weed
    There's been a few studies that shows smoking weed before your brain fully develops (around 21 years old) will cause you to have memory issues. It's still being looked into, but studies have shown that if you take up smoking weed after that point in your life, your memory can return to normal if you stop smoking weed, but if you smoked weed before then, your memory may forever be damaged.
    A blogspot post is your proof?

• Advertisement
Advertisement