Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are the FAI incompetent? Examples?

• 08-09-2018 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Does anyone want to provide examples of mismanagement by the FAI under John Delaney? Not really about over the top salaries but actual bad mistakes and what they should have done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The manky looking jerseys for a start

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Asking for an extra place at the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Good example here posted the other week.
    Pighead wrote: »
    DeanAustin they most certainly did go into debt through bad business decisions.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the Vantage Ticket Scheme fiasco but if not here's a quick breakdown.
    FAI needed to stump up €70 odd million for their contribution towards the AVIVA.
    John Delaney smoking a cigar with his feet up at his executives table says 'Not a problem. We can pay that no bother. I could write a cheque tomorrow if needed.'

John's confidence was borne from a cunning plan where the FAI would sell about 10,000 'Vantage Club' tickets on a ten year deal. The good news was the FAI would only need to sell 6000 of these tickets to break even and make the €70m odd required.
    The bad news was the FAI priced the tickets ridiculously high with tickets at the half way line priced at an eye watering €32000.

Meanwhile ticketing agents ISG offered to buy all the tickets for a guaranteed €75m and were willing to take their chances on any loss/profit thereafter.

Big John tells ISG to do one and decides that the FAI will sell tickets themselves and keep all the juicy profits for themselves.

Just over 3000 tickets were sold which meant the FAI were a cool €40m short of the money they needed to pay off their share of the AVIVA.

That forced the FAI to undertake huge high interest loans which in turn led to more debt and a whole host of redundancies and cost cutting measures. Debt is due to be finally payed off in 2020. Hopefully lessons have been leaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The gross mismanagement of the LOI in particular the licensing system and all the flaws which are evident within that.

The complete lack of coaching education system at grass roots level. If anyone wants to be a coach or get to a good level of coaching the FAI make a profit on all course instead of subsidising them or at least providing them at cost price.

The poor layout of the grass roots sector, the SFAI, DDSL and one or two others dictate grass roots football and the FAI have been slow to disrupt the status quo.

Grass roots development plan seems to have been a 1 point solution of an odd development officer in each area. There is no consistent approach to improving facilities in conjunction with the local authorities or any community based clubs.

Abbotstown is the FAI headquarters but still no centre of excellence fully formed. The new system of LOI underage leagues has promise but The way it's been implemented will likely leave to a reduction in participation from 15 onwards IMO.

I mean I could go on and on here, refereeing is shambolically run in this country. There are dinosaurs in charge of almost every aspect of football in Ireland and the FAI themselves are the prime example of this.

• Advertisement

For me the FAI under Delaney was summed up when Monaghan United went to wall while he was on the piss in Poland.

Sure, it wasn't his fault, he's entitled to go on the tear etc. But employees in the sport here not knowing if they'd be paid at the end of the week while he whooped it up as the national side was getting crushed...just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Had heard about the vantage club thing which turned into a bit of a fiasco but didn’t know the full details.

Duffman- that’s an excellent post. If you have more to say on the FAI please go on.

I do see him as one part Alan Partridge, one part Swiss Tony. I don’t however know for certain if he is bad at his job and would Irish football be better without him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They saddled themselves with massive debt to go 50/50 with the IRFU to redevelop Landsdowne Road, and when all that debt is up and the lease expires they will own exactly 0% of the stadium. The IRFU will own every single seat....

They saddled themselves with massive debt to go 50/50 with the IRFU to redevelop Landsdowne Road, and when all that debt is up and the lease expires they will own exactly 0% of the stadium. The IRFU will own every single seat....

When does the lease expire? Didn’t know that actually. I assume they have always being tenants even in the old Lansdowne. Is it completely the FAIs fault? They simply haven’t the money and aren’t funded enough to build their own stadium?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Had heard about the vantage club thing which turned into a bit of a fiasco but didn’t know the full details.

Duffman- that’s an excellent post. If you have more to say on the FAI please go on.

I do see him as one part Alan Partridge, one part Swiss Tony. I don’t however know for certain if he is bad at his job and would Irish football be better without him.

I'll tell you this, I met Delaney back around 2006 or 2007, I was a young coach, just stopped playing and he spoke to a few of us coaches about all the plans he had and wanted ideas and people to develop grass roots! I really liked the man and thought he had this grand vision for the association.

I gave him credit while Lansdowne was being redeveloped, ah sure there is no money but when I look at what's changed in the 11 or so years since I first heard him speak on grass roots football, I now realise the man is a fraud.

No interest in anything other than his position. Personally I coached for a number of years up until 2015 when I knocked it on the head due to total frustration. I took up refereeing to try stay involved and now see first hand how shambolic the FAI is on a whole other level.

Is he good at his job? The question you need to ask is what do you define as his role? Then people can give opinions on whether or not he is succesful.

• Advertisement

When does the lease expire? Didn’t know that actually. I assume they have always being tenants even in the old Lansdowne. Is it completely the FAIs fault? They simply haven’t the money and aren’t funded enough to build their own stadium?

There is about 50 years left on the lease, at which point the IRFU will own the land and stadium (it'll need redevelopment at that point)

To be honest, a country of our size has ample stadiums and joint venture with the IRFU is probably the best way to go tbh. There is money but not a couple of hundred million to build a new stadium and there is probably not a location in Dublin to do it IMO

duffman13 wrote: »

I'll tell you this, I met Delaney back around 2006 or 2007, I was a young coach, just stopped playing and he spoke to a few of us coaches about all the plans he had and wanted ideas and people to develop grass roots! I really liked the man and thought he had this grand vision for the association.

I gave him credit while Lansdowne was being redeveloped, ah sure there is no money but when I look at what's changed in the 11 or so years since I first heard him speak on grass roots football, I now realise the man is a fraud.

No interest in anything other than his position. Personally I coached for a number of years up until 2015 when I knocked it on the head due to total frustration. I took up refereeing to try stay involved and now see first hand how shambolic the FAI is on a whole other level.

Is he good at his job? The question you need to ask is what do you define as his role? Then people can give opinions on whether or not he is succesful.

Would Irish football be better off without him do you think? Or would the same problems exist? Is the problem just sestemic within the FAI.

You should consider blogging if you have the time on your time in the Irish football system or your views of it now. Be interested to read it.

Would Irish football be better off without him do you think? Or would the same problems exist? Is the problem just sestemic within the FAI.

You should consider blogging if you have the time on your time in the Irish football system or your views of it now. Be interested to read it.

To be honest I think he needs to go. The problem is he has systematically eliminated anyone who has even looked at him sideways. The FAI needs a root and branch overhaul. In 2016 they spent nearly 12 million on salary costs, from memory they've 180 staff of which 50 odd are development officers. They earn roughly 40k per year. He's screwed them over in recent times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fai-chief-accused-of-reneging-on-promise-to-restore-pay-1.3287634

As far as I'm aware there is no performance standard or metric to measure performance of these development officers. Quiet a few of those still play LOI so I would wonder how dedicated they are to developing players and coaches in their catchment area.

There are a large cohort of executives on serious money aswell. Delaneys salary, one man's salary makes up 4% of salary spend. Between him and the rest of the directors and yes man, it would cost a small fortune to get them out.

Would it be for the good of the game? IMO Yes .

Distribution of salary needs to change and IMO a centre of excellence should be priority number one. Both for coaches and players, a creative process for these players to go abroad or play in the LOI also needs to be put in place. There is ways to improve but we aren't even looking at them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I work with some people who are involved in underage coaching. In both jurisdictions on the island.

A couple of guys have had dealings with both associations, and cannot say enough good things about the IFA and it's structures. However, most are damning about the FAI.

They fully understand why the north get so pissed off when they develop youngsters so well, only for them to walk away to Ireland.

To be honest I think he needs to go. The problem is he has systematically eliminated anyone who has even looked at him sideways. The FAI needs a root and branch overhaul. In 2016 they spent nearly 12 million on salary costs, from memory they've 180 staff of which 50 odd are development officers. They earn roughly 40k per year. He's screwed them over in recent times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/fai-chief-accused-of-reneging-on-promise-to-restore-pay-1.3287634

As far as I'm aware there is no performance standard or metric to measure performance of these development officers. Quiet a few of those still play LOI so I would wonder how dedicated they are to developing players and coaches in their catchment area.

There are a large cohort of executives on serious money aswell. Delaneys salary, one man's salary makes up 4% of salary spend. Between him and the rest of the directors and yes man, it would cost a small fortune to get them out.

Would it be for the good of the game? IMO Yes .

Distribution of salary needs to change and IMO a centre of excellence should be priority number one. Both for coaches and players, a creative process for these players to go abroad or play in the LOI also needs to be put in place. There is ways to improve but we aren't even looking at them tbh.

This is gold, thanks for taking the time. I was expecting stupid posts in reply like Delaney has to go coz he appoints managers like Martin O’Neill.

50 development officers. Jesus that’s surely the problem right there. Dublin GAA alone has 90.

Also should they not be full time? don’t like the sound of them having it as a side job while being LOI players is their main income earner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Sending a very obviously sick and frail Bobby Robson on to Liveline after the Cyprus debacle.

This is gold, thanks for taking the time. I was expecting stupid posts in reply like Delaney has to go coz he appoints managers like Martin O’Neill.

50 development officers. Jesus that’s surely the problem right there. Dublin GAA alone has 90.

Also should they not be full time? don’t like the sound of them having it as a side job while being LOI players is their main income earner...

I think there's 55 nationally, I can't say for sure. I'm not up to speed with who's in the roles anymore but a few years ago 4 or 5 them in Dublin were playing LOI. They are supposed to be full time but I've struggled in both a
    Large successful club and a small local club to get a development officer out to offer coaching sessions. I know they have started to operate courses like kick start but they still charge for this as far as I'm aware. Maybe things have got better in the last couple of years?

I have gone as far as UEFA B license, if I wanted to do they A licence (I did) it was 2500ish euro. I did some coaching in Australia with a German guy who did the UEFA A licence for 600 quid in Germany. It's bizarre that we want to make money on developing coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

NIMAN wrote: »
    I work with some people who are involved in underage coaching. In both jurisdictions on the island.

A couple of guys have had dealings with both associations, and cannot say enough good things about the IFA and it's structures. However, most are damning about the FAI.

They fully understand why the north get so pissed off when they develop youngsters so well, only for them to walk away to Ireland.

Off the top of my head I know 4 ex Sligo Rovers players who did their badges with the IFA and not the FAI. None of them are from NI.

As well as cost I'm sure the incompetence of the FAI, which they would be well aware of having played in the LOI, played a part in their decision to travel up there for their coaching education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Worse than incompetence is CORRUPT. You have the same core people there since 2005 constantly voting for one another to keep themselves at the helm, and all the jollies & trips to away games , tournaments, etc
    Imagine being paid stupid money to watch footy, and not having to worry about state of football in Ireland, and no sign of any if them stepping aside, turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
    I used to attend LOI matches for years, used to go to all the international games, well before it ever became popular... a few years after Leech Delaney got himself to the helm I voted with my feet and stopped going to all matches. I now am bacj to watching my 6 year old grandson playing Acadamy footy every Sat.
    Delaney inherited his place in FAI through his old man Joe Delaney.... Google him... Apple didn't fall far from the tree. SICKENING situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I took my young kid to his first ever Ireland game in the friendly v Holland a couple of years back.

Awful game.

Anyway, we stayed the night in a hotel close to the Aviva. My brother was down with us, and he stayed on in the bar til late.

Next morning at breakfast, a few older couples walked past our table and got chatting to my brother. It appears they had met in the bar the night before. As it turned out, they all had great craic the previous night.

When the couples moved on to their tables for breakfast, they joined some other couples who had already been eating. They all seemed to be acquainted.

I asked my brother who they were. I was told they were FAI officials (can't remember their exact job title) from various parts of the country and their wives.

Now, perhaps they paid for everything themselves and if so then this post has no meaning, but if I was a betting man I'd say all these folk were staying, eating and drinking all on the FAI tab.

• Advertisement

I took my young kid to his first ever Ireland game in the friendly v Holland a couple of years back.

Awful game.

Anyway, we stayed the night in a hotel close to the Aviva. My brother was down with us, and he stayed on in the bar til late.

Next morning at breakfast, a few older couples walked past our table and got chatting to my brother. It appears they had met in the bar the night before. As it turned out, they all had great craic the previous night.

When the couples moved on to their tables for breakfast, they joined some other couples who had already been eating. They all seemed to be acquainted.

I asked my brother who they were. I was told they were FAI officials (can't remember their exact job title) from various parts of the country and their wives.

Now, perhaps they paid for everything themselves and if so then this post has no meaning, but if I was a betting man I'd say all these folk were staying, eating and drinking all on the FAI tab.

Their cost of sales tab is suitably high in the annual accounts but I'm sure the FAI have a robust corporate governance policy in place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Absolute madness. It's like paying for a mortgage and then paying rent to live in the house on top of it. It's paying on the double.

Why do it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

They need to make their finances transparent and open.

"I'm off to meet the Queen in the morning" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Delaney is a liar..promise after promise.

Many clubs will bear witness to his charity that never arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think there's 55 nationally, I can't say for sure. I'm not up to speed with who's in the roles anymore but a few years ago 4 or 5 them in Dublin were playing LOI. They are supposed to be full time but I've struggled in both a
    Large successful club and a small local club to get a development officer out to offer coaching sessions. I know they have started to operate courses like kick start but they still charge for this as far as I'm aware. Maybe things have got better in the last couple of years?

I have gone as far as UEFA B license, if I wanted to do they A licence (I did) it was 2500ish euro. I did some coaching in Australia with a German guy who did the UEFA A licence for 600 quid in Germany. It's bizarre that we want to make money on developing coaches.

I know its still expensive but the quality of the courses now are excellent compared to what they were. I did the old youth cert and I've seen the new c licence. They are worlds apart. A huge improvement. The delivery of coaching courses from the fai is not a criticism I'd have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Delaney is like an old FF minister smoothing his way about people and telling them an old yarn to keep them happy as opposed to actually being good at his job.

Everything positive that happens or is meant to happen is to his credit.

Anything bad is someone else’s fault. LoI issues blame Fran Gavin (another jobsworth), international manager problem blame the selection committee (I actually recall him passing the buck to “Ray [Houghton] and the lads” before.

He has overseen the decline of football in this country while enriching himself in the process.

And yet there are idiots out there who think he’s great. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Awful game.

Speaking of the FAI Tab.

There was a Dinner/Testimonial night for an old Ireland player called Dave Langan. A bunch of fans had heard he had fallen on hard times and arranged the usual Dinner, Bar and Speeches gig with Delaney and the FAI.

It seemed like the Delaney and the FAI came good on this one until a few months later Langan realized that the Free Bar was coming out of the money being raised for him.

Fans that attended were disgusted that they were not told about the source of the Free Bar. The FAI folk drank long into the night, pissing away Langan's retirement money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Read an article on his salary.cant mind off the top of my head but was shocked and disgusted at the time.and will we ever know the truth about what he accepted after the Thierry Henry injustice. The man's another me me me minister.

Awful game.

Speaking of the FAI Tab.

There was a Dinner/Testimonial night for an old Ireland player called Dave Langan. A bunch of fans had heard he had fallen on hard times and arranged the usual Dinner, Bar and Speeches gig with Delaney and the FAI.

It seemed like the Delaney and the FAI came good on this one until a few months later Langan realized that the Free Bar was coming out of the money being raised for him.

Fans that attended were disgusted that they were not told about the source of the Free Bar. The FAI folk drank long into the night, pissing away Langan's retirement money.

Christ..

• Advertisement

The FAI have 52 development officers in the country just to clear up that grey area- https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/FAI Contacts.pdf

As stated yesterday Dublin GAA has 90 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just on the Aviva Stadium thing, if I remember right the government paid half with FAI and IRFU paying the rest. I’m pretty sure the IRFU paid more than the FAI and also it was their land so I don’t think the FAI got a bad deal really. Not that I really want to be defending the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's no performance standard whatsoever because there's two in Limerick alone absolutely stealing a living as development officers and would be out on their otherwise. When you see the work being done by some development officers like James Scott in North Tipp or Denis Hynes in Clare, it makes you sick that some people can collect a handy wage for doing the bare minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Speaking of the FAI Tab.

I know a good few lads who went to that.It was said at the time to drink up as the FAI was looking after it .
    Cheap bastards tried their best to shaft Langan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Speaking of the FAI Tab.

Ah, will you stop, the auction alone made 27K, tables were 1500 a head. A free bar isn't cheap but to say it amounted to p*ssing away Langan's retirement fund is downright petty swipe at the FAI, who would not have been the main stakeholders in the event organisation in any case.

The FAI have helped Langan out on many an occasion but he just seems to be unfortunate and unstable in life. It is not as if the FAI kneecapped him. He has had numerous benefits nights organised for him.

That dinner was a huge success and there aren't many former internationals who get that.

FAI can't be held accountable to how Langan's private life has panned out but it was right for them to participate in organising the event but there is only so much you can do for someone who continually "falls on hard times"

This isn't me backing the FAI, it is merely me calling you out on a false bit of unwarranted propaganda against them. I will concede though I may be wrong in my knowledge of this is blurred however................as it wouldn't surprise me.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I know its still expensive but the quality of the courses now are excellent compared to what they were. I did the old youth cert and I've seen the new c licence. They are worlds apart. A huge improvement. The delivery of coaching courses from the fai is not a criticism I'd have.

No issues about the quality of them now, haven't done a course through the FAI since 2013 I think so I can't really comment. My issue was the course costs and how they are profit making ventures. If you're registered with a club for a few years the FAI should be subsidising and increasing the standard of coaching in this country.

• Advertisement

There's no performance standard whatsoever because there's two in Limerick alone absolutely stealing a living as development officers and would be out on their otherwise. When you see the work being done by some development officers like James Scott in North Tipp or Denis Hynes in Clare, it makes you sick that some people can collect a handy wage for doing the bare minimum.

If there is a performance standard it hasn't been implemented whatsoever. I'd have the same opinion as you in relation to a massive discrepancy between performance. One of the development officers in Dublin never stops, 3 hours a day in schools during term time and does 2 coaching sessions in the evening with local clubs. Also involved with league representative panels.

An other guy working in Dublin doesn't have his phone switched on ever, try phone him and it's voicemail everytime. He's in a catchment area of some big Dublin clubs and has never so much as met the Secretary of the clubs. A peer assessment from local clubs would make a lot of sense from a performance management perspective and hold these guys to account.

Ah, will you stop, the auction alone made 27K, tables were 1500 a head. A free bar isn't cheap but to say it amounted to p*ssing away Langan's retirement fund is downright petty swipe at the FAI, who would not have been the main stakeholders in the event organisation in any case.

The FAI have helped Langan out on many an occasion but he just seems to be unfortunate and unstable in life. It is not as if the FAI kneecapped him. He has had numerous benefits nights organised for him.

That dinner was a huge success and there aren't many former internationals who get that.

FAI can't be held accountable to how Langan's private life has panned out but it was right for them to participate in organising the event but there is only so much you can do for someone who continually "falls on hard times"

This isn't me backing the FAI, it is merely me calling you out on a false bit of unwarranted propaganda against them. I will concede though I may be wrong in my knowledge of this is blurred however................as it wouldn't surprise me.

Why tell everyone they were looking after the bar ?
    There absolutely no need to do that other than they wanted to look good.

The FAI had little input on the organisation of that benefit night,majority of the leg work was done by fans.They got on board when it suited them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If there is a performance standard it hasn't been implemented whatsoever. I'd have the same opinion as you in relation to a massive discrepancy between performance. One of the development officers in Dublin never stops, 3 hours a day in schools during term time and does 2 coaching sessions in the evening with local clubs. Also involved with league representative panels.

An other guy working in Dublin doesn't have his phone switched on ever, try phone him and it's voicemail everytime. He's in a catchment area of some big Dublin clubs and has never so much as met the Secretary of the clubs. A peer assessment from local clubs would make a lot of sense from a performance management perspective and hold these guys to account.

Who would even be over these development officers, surely they've got bosses they answer to and I know here in Limerick the FAI pay half their salary while the regeneration pick up the other half, not sure if it's the same in other places and makes it messy on who some answer too if two different organisations are paying your wage. Now that might have changed because I remember one the lads who'd be in well with one the local CDOs saying something before that the regeneration won't be paying half the wages in time.

It's probably never gonna happen but with the introduction of the UEFA elite youth a licence and the LOI underage (which is good in theory) the FAI need to overhaul the way things are done at youth level or risk being left behind at international level.

Seems it’s not black and white with the FAI. For every example saying where they made a mess of something or highlighted their self interest there’s someone willing to counter the point. That’s what I’m trying to find out to be honest.

read a thing in the guardian a while ago about how Germany converted their talent generation system to start creating players again. It seemed relatively simple to be honest; get coaches qualified and get them to go into all areas of the country. Toni kroos was cited as an example of a player from a rural part of Germany that wouldn’t have normally had much exposure to coaching. Really seemed fairly straightforward; not sure how rafa honigstein got a book out of it (Das Reboot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Read an article on his salary.cant mind off the top of my head but was shocked and disgusted at the time.and will we ever know the truth about what he accepted after the Thierry Henry injustice. The man's another me me me minister.

He/They didn't accept it. They milked it for everything it was worth, to the point of asking to be an extra team in tournament. Take a look at how NI managed losing out on qualification last time round due to a dodgy referees call. That's how you handle something like that. It's sickening but you have to handle it in a professional manner.

The IFA is miles ahead of the FAI when it comes to managing talent. They've a smaller pool of potential players, yet they managed to develop a system which is producing young talent and they have a better full international team than the ROI, as of now, in my opinion. Anyone who is involved in football at a decent level on this island knows that the FAI are p1ss poor and the IFA are ever improving.

• Advertisement

Seems it’s not black and white with the FAI. For every example saying where they made a mess of something or highlighted their self interest there’s someone willing to counter the point. That’s what I’m trying to find out to be honest.

read a thing in the guardian a while ago about how Germany converted their talent generation system to start creating players again. It seemed relatively simple to be honest; get coaches qualified and get them to go into all areas of the country. Toni kroos was cited as an example of a player from a rural part of Germany that wouldn’t have normally had much exposure to coaching. Really seemed fairly straightforward; not sure how rafa honigstein got a book out of it (Das Reboot)

Not sure where you are getting the posts countering the negative posts on the FAI.They are an absolute mess of an organisation, it would be a very small minority who would think differently imo.

Das Reboot is excellent, I'd recommend it to any football fan.

yabadabado wrote: »

Not sure where you are getting the posts countering the negative posts on the FAI.They are an absolute mess of an organisation, it would be a very small minority who would think differently imo.

Das Reboot is excellent, I'd recommend it to any football fan.

Sorry but read the thread, the Aviva fiasco and the Dave Langan free bar issue were both argued on both sides.

I’m not saying either side is right but there are grey areas here.

It maybe a very small minority who think the FAI aren’t a mess but within that majority there may not be that many who can form cognitive arguments why they are a sham organization. That is what I’m trying to see posted and so far many have posted intelligent arguments why they are a sham.

Aviva was a total disaster ,the Vantage Club idea was pitiful and put FAI in way more debt than was needed.That was gross mismanagement and heads should have rolled.

Dave Langan had a good few quid held from the benefit night simply because the FAI wanted to look good infront of supporters. It's doesn't matter that he made a lot besides, there was no need to pretend they were paying for the free bar .People I know who attended were disgusted when they found out afterwards, no one cared about the free bar and would gladly have paid for their drinks ,FAI heads going around to tables telling to drink up as they were getting the tab.

Aviva was a total disaster ,the Vantage Club idea was pitiful and put FAI in way more debt than was needed.

Dave Langan had a good few quid held from the benefit night simply because the FAI wanted to look good infront of supporters. It's doesn't matter that he made a lot besides, there was no need to pretend they were paying for the free bar .People I know who attended were disgusted when they found out afterwards, no one cared about the free bar and would gladly have paid for their drinks ,FAI heads going around to tables telling to drink up as they were getting the tab.

Vantage club wasn’t what the debate was over. It was about FAI paying 70 million for a stadium they have no ownership rights to. This was argued as a good deal and a bad deal.

Vantage club wasn’t what the debate was over. It was about FAI paying 70 million for a stadium they have no ownership rights to. This was argued as a good deal and a bad deal.

My mistake ,thought it was Vantage club fiasco.

Not sure why they didnt keep a similar deal that they had previously with IRFU.Could have spent that 70m on centre of excellence(s),coaching and grassroots.

A few proper centres dotted around the country and have nowhere near 70m spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It was me that said it wasn’t a bad deal, I don’t know the exact details bit from memory they brought about 20% of the cash irfu about 30% with the government paying half. It was already the irfu’s land so not unreasonable that after the 50 odd year agreement it would revert to them. That said at that stage the stadium will be in need of rebuilding with a similar agreement probably starting. I’m only doing figures from memory so might be a bit off but I think the point stands regardless. Just for the record I think the FAI and Irish football in general is a mess.

Sorry but read the thread, the Aviva fiasco and the Dave Langan free bar issue were both argued on both sides.

It maybe a very small minority who think the FAI aren’t a mess but within that majority there may not be that many who can form cognitive arguments why they are a sham organization. That is what I’m trying to see posted and so far many have posted intelligent arguments why they are a sham.

I dont know anything about Langan one tbh but the Aviva situation has been argued by a few, me included. The FAI had little option but to enter into the agreement with the IRFU. It was the right option for both sides however the gross mismanagement if the vantage club fiasco is linked to the stadium decision aswell. The redevelopment was needed and the FAI could have taken €75 million from an outside company to sell vantage club on behalf of the FAI.

This was their method of paying off the debt associated. They choose the greedy option and thus set football back 10-15 years in this country as a result. They would have still had substantial game day income from the remaining tickets. The decision to associate with the Aviva project was the only one available to the FAI. The method of payment was what ****ed it up. Any other CEO of an organisation would have been bumped out after that debacle.

I dont know anything about Langan one tbh but the Aviva situation has been argued by a few, me included. The FAI had little option but to enter into the agreement with the IRFU. It was the right option for both sides however the gross mismanagement if the vantage club fiasco is linked to the stadium decision aswell. The redevelopment was needed and the FAI could have taken €75 million from an outside company to sell vantage club on behalf of the FAI.

This was their method of paying off the debt associated. They choose the greedy option and thus set football back 10-15 years in this country as a result. They would have still had substantial game day income from the remaining tickets. The decision to associate with the Aviva project was the only one available to the FAI. The method of payment was what ****ed it up. Any other CEO of an organisation would have been bumped out after that debacle.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Delaney and the fai done a good job with the vantage club. They definitely made a balls of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Aviva was a total disaster ,the Vantage Club idea was pitiful and put FAI in way more debt than was needed.That was gross mismanagement and heads should have rolled.

Dave Langan had a good few quid held from the benefit night simply because the FAI wanted to look good infront of supporters. It's doesn't matter that he made a lot besides, there was no need to pretend they were paying for the free bar .People I know who attended were disgusted when they found out afterwards, no one cared about the free bar and would gladly have paid for their drinks ,

FAI heads going around to tables telling to drink up as they were getting the tab.

So basically they couldn't win............... if they didn't give him (another) fund raiser they are criticised but if they do they are criticised for doing it only to look good.
    The FAI can't be held accountable for Dave Langan's financial and personal life problems.
    That last darkened out part re the tab is downright lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Saying they laid down the foundations for Dundalk getting to Europa League Group Stages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement