Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to rest field after Fluke dose

• 09-09-2018 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

We had a dozen lambs with fluke. We dosed them and put back into the same field for a day and then moved to a fresh one. We are now out of fields and need to move our ram out from the flock. How soon could he go into the field that the lambs were in for the 24 hours after they had the dose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

Just after speaking with our vet. They have advised that after worm/fluke dosing the sheep should remain in the same field for 10-14 days before moving. This goes against what I've heard previously which is moving them after 24 hours. Any other feedback here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

grayh0und wrote: »
    Just after speaking with our vet. They have advised that after worm/fluke dosing the sheep should remain in the same field for 10-14 days before moving. This goes against what I've heard previously which is moving them after 24 hours. Any other feedback here?

I don't know about fluke but with worm doses i aim for 3 days
    but 24hours is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

It depends on the rosin product used and weather or not it has persistent activity, so I think it’s easier to move and then dose after a few days on new pasture. This maintains a susceptible worm burden on the new pasture which will maintain a susceptible burden in the sheep for the next cycle as they compete with resistant worms to keep levels of resistant worms down. If you dose and move to clean ground then the sheep will only shed the resistant worms on the in in the next cycle the proportion of resistant worms will be higher.

Advertisement