Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored alarm phoning "Universal Access Service" daily

Options
  • 09-09-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

My father has a home monitored alarm. The monitored alarm places a phone call to an 081... number each day. The text on his bill for this number is "Universal Access Service". Since this is not a normal Irish landline number, he is being charged for each call (not a huge amount, to be fair). When he called the alarm monitoring company to ask about this, they said that the call was to verify that the system is working OK and that it was essential to maintain the service. My father lives in a house that used to be a business (shop), so maybe this is a throwback from then. But I also have a home monitored alarm and lots of my friends and family do, and we have never heard of this before. Any idea what this could be and why it is necessary?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

An auto test is a must .Once a day via landline is a bit dated though.Most newer systems would be IP/GSM with constant regular testing at no additional cost to the customer.
    If upgrading your monitoring isn't an option I'd strongly recommend keeping the test calls in place.

Advertisement