Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Great session today around Ballinastoe and Ballinafunshoge area. Got myself a gopro hero 9 off adverts so apologies for spamming with videos!

Found some lovely natural trails inc this one at Ballinafunshoge. The gap jump was unexpected and I wasn't going fast enough.

Back up near Ballinastoe and did a long natural trail called Indriya, great trail. Long, mucky, bit pedally in parts but love the last bits.

Exit of indriya brings you out at the bottom of the access road that brings you all the way up to Expressway. Tough slog but you can't visit Ballinastoe and not do expressway.

Nice views at the end to finish with the sun setting over Lough Tay and a rocky trail called Kango.

Discovered later i had wind noise reduction turned off, know better next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

Love that kango section, never seen indriya as wet as that. The few times I've been on it it's been next to impossible to figure out where the trail goes.
    I see they've been clearing felling over there too, was in Djouce today and the harvesters have been around, xtc destroyed despite their promises that they'll be careful around existing trails.

prunudo wrote: »
    I see they've been clearing felling over there too, was in Djouce today and the harvesters have been around, xtc destroyed despite their promises that they'll be careful around existing trails.

Ah ffs! Love that trail, heard Dutch gold there is Savage. Never did it yet.

Wailin wrote: »
    Ah ffs! Love that trail, heard Dutch gold there is Savage. Never did it yet.

From what i can tell they finished felling for now so the only bit thats gone is where xtc was. Entrance to phantom is still altered a bit but still rideable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Plastik

Few tasty steep bits on Dutch Gold alright. Usualish entrance to Phantom and Benchcut has been disappearing and reappearing over the past few weeks depending on where they're stacking timber. It's not so bad up there at the moment but the place was in total slop all around that area from the trucks until they threw the heavy grade down. I miss XTC as my warmer upper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Anyone see that sneak peek the gap posted of a new line coming in spring? It looks pretty epic.

I only have the FB link

https://www.facebook.com/GlencullenAdventurePark/videos/1689454911226104

Plastik wrote: »
    Few tasty steep bits on Dutch Gold alright. Usualish entrance to Phantom and Benchcut has been disappearing and reappearing over the past few weeks depending on where they're stacking timber. It's not so bad up there at the moment but the place was in total slop all around that area from the trucks until they threw the heavy grade down. I miss XTC as my warmer upper.

I agree, xtc was handy one for just warming up before hitting the tougher trails. Probably wouldn't take much to resurrect it in some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iwillhtfu wrote:
    Anyone see that sneak peek the gap posted of a new line coming in spring? It looks pretty epic.

Its great to see these lads not giving up the game, it really is a damn shame about bpi

More gopro action from Xmas eve at Ballinastoe. Chest mounted much better pov but more prone to muck and water splashes. Just did natural trails. The last trip for awhile with lockdown, at least ticknock is still accessible.

This one is probably my favourite:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive lost my mojo and confidence on trails, i dont do anything majorly technical more fast forest trails than anything else but even still after coming off back early November and the resulting injuries and really bad pain im shying away from trails and sticking to roads and canal ways lately.
    Watching them videos instead of exciting me like before now just scares me with the thought of coming down on these ribs again.
    Great videos Wailin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive lost my mojo and confidence on trails, i dont do anything majorly technical more fast forest trails than anything else but even still after coming off back early November and the resulting injuries and really bad pain im shying away from trails and sticking to roads and canal ways lately.
    Watching them videos instead of exciting me like before now just scares me with the thought of coming down on these ribs again.
    Great videos Wailin.

Its tough to get the confidence back after a nasty off. In my own experience it just takes time, slowly start tackling stuff a little bit more technical until you get more comfortable with stuff. Buying new gear in the hopes of a technological advantage also works for me :D

Coming back from an injury myself, could have been potentially much more serious but I'm still lacking confidence. It takes time, I'm just tying to rebuild the fitness at present with a mixture of trail centre stuff and road spins. I'll dip my toe into natural a bit on each spin, albeit slowly, just to keep the skill somewhat there but staying away from steep stuff as I'm a bag of nerves. I know I shouldn't be but the head is telling me I am, even if the body is telling me its fine.

The confidence will come back, its just a matter of trying to enjoy the time you are spending in the saddle and work on small goals. If you are coming back after a ride down beat you won't enjoy the next one, try and pick positives from what you are doing and that will lead to better times.

And finally, remember the motto, Winter miles bring Summer smiles :)

I hear ya dcully. I went down Irn Bru at Djouce back in August not long after I got my first mtb, boardman hardtail. I had neither the skill, experience or equipment (no dropper post) for that trail and had two nasty falls that left a permanent mark on my shin. Thankfully nothing broken. I haven't been down that trail since, I will, once the weather gets warmer. I think the coilte trails are nice and safe, even when wet. Taking it handy on those trails will build the confidence again 100%. Even just doing the fireroads and access roads in the forests will at least get you out in nature and build up the fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Wailin wrote: »
    I hear ya dcully. I went down Irn Bru at Djouce back in August not long after I got my first mtb, boardman hardtail. I had neither the skill, experience or equipment (no dropper post) for that trail and had two nasty falls that left a permanent mark on my shin. Thankfully nothing broken. I haven't been down that trail since, I will, once the weather gets warmer. I think the coilte trails are nice and safe, even when wet. Taking it handy on those trails will build the confidence again 100%. Even just doing the fireroads and access roads in the forests will at least get you out in nature and build up the fitness.

I find the skill difference between the coilte and natural trails to be massive, the reds and blacks on coilte trails are for the most part rideable for someone with no experience, it's some shock then to even try a difficult blue elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I was out on my local trails yesterday. Felt great riding solid ground after the frost. Luckily roots and rocks were dry so pedaled home feeling quiet smug after some nice clean runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

You can cycle the section through GAP on the Dublin Mountains Way walkers path for free.

Technically not true. You need to walk your bike through!! If you use the pedal up paths you need to sign waiver and pay pedal up fee.

Technically not true. You need to walk your bike through!! If you use the pedal up paths you need to sign waiver and pay pedal up fee.

Walk it through because it's a walkers path, or because GAP would prefer you did that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Walk it through because it's a walkers path, or because GAP would prefer you did that?

Maybe do it because it's the right thing to do?

I'll remember to go to confession the next time I pedal some of the Wicklow Way also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Is it a legal right of way ? And if so under who's T&Cs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lads, if you're using the gaps facilities, please just pay the few quid, we need them, and they need us, or you may forget about anyone building these facilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Hard to believe the last post in this thread was January!

Anyway - was up at Djouce yesterday. Great spin, nice and dry in most places. New fencing up around the car parks.

Not sure what the trail is actually called, but was Stage 1 Enduro a few times - it's more or less gone. They harvested all the trees on that hill and there is little left of that stage. The good news is the rest of the forest seemed OK. Saw a few pink spray marks on a few trees though.

There was no one there really - two other mountain bikers and a few walkers.

Found, finally, a mad DH track I had been looking for. Serious stuff and well out of my league at the moment. There's a 25 foot gap jump. One thing I love about Djouce is that I always find something new. The see-saw is gone - anyone know what happened to it?

Would it be XTC you're talking about that's gone? If so it's been gone a few months now. Shame as it was a nice trail to warm up on before the hardcore stuff!

Sadly, I reckon a lot of the classic trails at djouce (Dutch gold, phantom etc) will be ravaged soon enough with the felling.

steamsey wrote: »
    Hard to believe the last post in this thread was January!

Anyway - was up at Djouce yesterday. Great spin, nice and dry in most places. New fencing up around the car parks.

Not sure what the trail is actually called, but was Stage 1 Enduro a few times - it's more or less gone. They harvested all the trees on that hill and there is little left of that stage. The good news is the rest of the forest seemed OK. Saw a few pink spray marks on a few trees though.

There was no one there really - two other mountain bikers and a few walkers.

Found, finally, a mad DH track I had been looking for. Serious stuff and well out of my league at the moment. There's a 25 foot gap jump. One thing I love about Djouce is that I always find something new. The see-saw is gone - anyone know what happened to it?

It's been a while since you've been there! The carparks have been fenced and XTC gone for some time now.

Pity the see-saw is gone. It's a few weeks since I've been up in that part, but there's deforestation going on up around there too.

Was up there myself yesterday too, first time in a since Christmas. Xtc is gone a while, a shame as mentioned it was a nice warm up for the rest of the trails.
    There's a new block of clearfell though which is more recent. Again not sure of the stage name but its the top section that started between the humpty dumpty and the seesaw that would eventually run down to Hawaiian junkie.
    Also noticed the middle carpark was closed, not sure if that is just to facilitate the felling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Coillte are clear-felling and thinning all the way from Glencullen to Djouce so many of the unofficial trails are now blocked or destroyed....

I think people returning to the hills will find a lot of their favorites now gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

prunudo wrote: »
    Was up there myself yesterday too, first time in a since Christmas. Xtc is gone a while, a shame as mentioned it was a nice warm up for the rest of the trails.
    There's a new block of clearfell though which is more recent. Again not sure of the stage name but its the top section that started between the humpty dumpty and the seesaw that would eventually run down to Hawaiian junkie.
    Also noticed the middle carpark was closed, not sure if that is just to facilitate the felling though.

Yea they've closed the middle to facilitate removal of the timber, the humps beside the carpark is blocked and over the other side is felled also...

Was blessed for the last few months to have Djouce in my 5k. Often wonder what sort of distance/time/elevation you'd take to cover every trail in a day.

• Advertisement

Its a pretty small area, like most mtb trail forests in ireland. I'd say you'd be surprised how little distance it takes to do all those trails. Elevation would be high enough though as it is pretty steep. I've seen lads do spins from ticknock, cover most of the trails in djouce and back to ticknock and only do about 50-60k

Advertisement