Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

First visit to the Slieve Blooms today, beautiful area. I just did the Baunreagh loop following the signs initially. Was finished after about 40ish minutes so took the road up to the upper trails. Passed two trails that were unfinished so there will be plenty of km's to keep everyone happy when finished. The link up with the trails from the top is nice and long, not the most exciting, just your typical coilte trails with little or no features. Great to get out though on a day like today and enjoy the fresh air and views.

51205098808_b1e1265cf2_c.jpg

Dickies and Homegrown today at Ticknock. Some day for it. First time doing the bomb hole at Dickes, just went for it without pausing to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Mo bother to you, must be that fancy new bike!

Thanks M, second spin on the bike today and still adjusting to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Wailin wrote: »
    Thanks M, second spin on the bike today and still adjusting to it!

You need gloves and elbowpads or a long sleeve top or you'll fuq yourself up. Fullface helmet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

fatbhoy wrote: »
    You need gloves and elbowpads or a long sleeve top or you'll fuq yourself up. Fullface helmet too.

Each to their own imo. Once they have a mtb rated helmet I don't care what other protection people wear. We all measure risk differently.

I keep all that gear for the more sketchy stuff, and in particular, wet rooty trails (my nemesis!). Hot summers day, a full face is the last thing I need going up hills. If its any consolidation to you I had knee pads...As for gloves, just simply forgot them.

He looks like a handy biker, we don’t all need bubble wrap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Fair play Wailin i remember when you were just asking about getting into MTB-ing thats fair progress.

Or stupidity haha! Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Epic solo spin last weekend. Weather was unreal, got burnt to a crisp, and scenery was something else. First time doing a lot of the trails, some great natural stuff in these areas.

51257492491_3ceec7a713_c.jpg

51270542434_b9292e2d48_c.jpg

This one in Laragh stood out for me. But "stealth" near moneystown was unreal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

Those tails look class - gonna have to get up there and have a look around! Those trails on trailforks?

Nice riding, for riding those trails blind, look proper steep in some sections even with the gopro effect!
    First time doing a lot of the trails, some great natural stuff in these areas.

Those tails look class - gonna have to get up there and have a look around! Those trails on trailforks?

Nice riding, for riding those trails blind, look proper steep in some sections even with the gopro effect!

Surprisingly enough that trail is not on trail forks. I just followed another strava users route to find it.

The exits are quiet steep alright and the last section is steep with a jump on it to boost the heart rate! Wanted to do it again but didn't want to hike the bike back up. I'm sure there's an easier way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Epic solo spin last weekend. Weather was unreal, got burnt to a crisp, and scenery was something else. First time doing a lot of the trails, some great natural stuff in these areas.

51257492491_3ceec7a713_c.jpg

51270542434_b9292e2d48_c.jpg

This one in Laragh stood out for me. But "stealth" near moneystown was unreal too.

That's class, we have very few flowy trails like that down here, it's all vertical fall-lines where you're hanging off your brakes for survival 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Did the epic club course - not been up there for two years.

Finished the first tech section, got ready for the steep killer fireroad climb and discovered a sweeping berm and dusty, rocky tech climb.

Oh.... Harder work.

Then got caught out another two times on other bits.

Did 4 flatout (for me in my current state) laps, nearly two mins slower than bitd.

Loved it though, constant tech xc, change in pace, change in power and thinking about buying a third lung.

And edit to say that it looks like I need to get back up to Glendalough too!

Is there anyone frequenting here since the outage and new layout.

Some heat out there today, really zapped the energy out of me on the climbs. Still though, far better than last Sunday which was misty wet shite.

I can’t get used to the new layout so haven’t been on much. I had my frequently visited forums saved but can’t seem to manage it now.

yes is was very hot out on the trails today but fantastic too!

I went exploring around Keeper hill yesterday. It's a fantastic spot but goddamn it was hot. I only got to scratch the surface of what's there.

Where's Keeper Hill? Never heard of the place.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I'm checking it every now and then but I'm not a fan of what they've done here. If they were trying to unnecessarily decimate their user base then they've done a great job.

Have been up Ticknock most weeks recently. Had some bike trouble recently which I hope is all sorted now and had a great spin on Thursday, mainly because the bike was playing ball.Had a broken chainstay, leaking fork damper (Charger 2), and a horrible metallic / frame related rattle. €600 and about 20 hours of my time later and I think it's back to itself. Was tempted to buy a new bike, but quickly realised everything is out of stock!

Djouce Enduro is going ahead on 31st - can't wait. Looks like Grassroots format.

Was very tempted to sign up for Djouce but confidence is still not there since my off last year. Stupid really because I know Djouce and there's no real reason why I shouldn't but something in my head hesitated hitting the send button for the entry.

As you say though, it looks like a grassroots format which should be good. Also I noticed that trail breaker are involved in the stage design so that should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Didn't do the enduro champs at the weekend but took a spin over to Djouce over last night to ride the 3 stages. Great to have a fair chunk of XTC back running again.

Djouce Enduro was good - had a massive crash on 2nd run of stage 3 which messed me up and I had to quit but great to be back racing. I still think I prefer the old Enduro format and wonder what the future is. 3 stages as many times as you like, and no practice day, doesn't feel like an Enduro exactly. It is a good format though and probably more accessible but maybe not good training for any youngsters planning to join the EWS. Was pretty busy there and great to see / hear lads from all around the country participating.

Anyway - was at Ballinastoe yesterday afternoon. No one around so was a nice quiet spin. Just did the official trails which are all riding very well. Ticknock probably the next spin this week and want to get to Crone at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

As far as I'm aware the format was modified to allow all categories to race over the 2 days to split numbers up.

Once restrictions allow (hopefully next year) we'll be back to having the normal format.

Any injuries or did you get away unscathed. A mate of mine had an off on stage 3 too, just a bit black and blue but he got shook up.

No injuries thankfully. Probably the fastest crash I've had, but got away with it. Banged the head pretty well of the ground and had a headache so thought it best to quit. Shame because I was really enjoying it but have to be happy to come away unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Last Sunday down in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Made use of an owed day off work and dug the MTB out.

Unfortunately, the rear shock has a leak, so didn't get as much of a spin as I would have liked.

Another 08 specialized brain shock gone, like so many before. Surprised it lasted this long.

On the plus side, I can legitimately look at frames now. I think this frame shall be hung on a wall.

Advertisement