Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which loppers to buy?

Options
  • 09-09-2018 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a cheapo and rather small aperture set when in a hurry and not wanting to spend too much but they're already knackered so this time I'm going to do it properly - so recommendations for a set preferably NOT extendible. Not a fan of them to be honest. They must be able to cut at least 30mm branches with ease.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a pair of fiskars bypass loppers. not extendable; cost about 50 quid five years ago, and they've been put through their paces and are still going strong.

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/136461-fiskars-powergear-545mm-bypass-lopper-l74-112290.aspx?pv=56892&currency=eur&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIndry5pyu3QIVAbTtCh1N1QAYEAQYASABEgJXB_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pruning saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The fiskars are best for 30mm branches because they are geared, so you get a lot of power, and also the blade closes against an anvil.

For smaller twigs and branches I still prefer a cheaper loppers I have had for ages, because quicker to cut (not geared down) and cleaner cuts (bypass cutting action)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

recedite wrote: »
    The fiskars are best for 30mm branches because they are geared, so you get a lot of power, and also the blade closes against an anvil.

For smaller twigs and branches I still prefer a cheaper loppers I have had for ages, because quicker to cut (not geared down) and cleaner cuts (bypass cutting action)

Got a True Temper ratchet anvil lopper in Woodies that would eat through 30mm branches. It's a bit cumbersome though, needs the handles opened pretty wide to open or close the ratchet, so not good for tight spaces. It has extendable handles, but the lockout works fine so they don't open accidentally.

needs the handles opened pretty wide to open or close the ratchet, so not good for tight spaces
    Same with the fiskars, but you do get more leverage/power that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just bought some Darby loppers on the basis that they were the only reasonable ones I could find locally - been down the cheapo route, useless. Haven't had these long enough to know how they will last but they seem very efficient and were cutting approx 30mm branches no problem. They are racheted which makes life easier - there were some more powerful looking ones for about another €5 or so, but they were too heavy for either of us (two women) to handle comfortably - though they had a rachet system that looked as though it would take down a tree!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to clarify - the ones i got, and the ones in the link, are bypass loppers, not anvil loppers.
    i'd always understood that bypass loppers are better for tree/shrub health - that they do not bruise the wood, but this won't be a concern if you're just trying to munch through a bit pile and don't care about the health of what you're working on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The models have changed slightly over the years but these are the nearest to the ones I'd buy if I could justify the price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Felco-Model-Lopper-Two-hand-pruning/dp/B0006229QU/ . Used to use them commercially and they were excellent.

just to clarify - the ones i got, and the ones in the link, are bypass loppers, not anvil loppers.
    i'd always understood that bypass loppers are better for tree/shrub health - that they do not bruise the wood, but this won't be a concern if you're just trying to munch through a bit pile and don't care about the health of what you're working on.
    Fair enough I didnt notice that, these are the ones I have.
    I use them for cutting birch branches into kindling. It saves having to split logs down into kindling. The anvil is going to be slightly better for larger sizes, say 30-40mm, because with the bypass type there is sometimes a tendency for the blades to be twisted apart, and then they don't cut through properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I suppose in an ideal world I'd have one of each but for now the bypass type is more useful. Thanks for the suggestions.

'Swiss made' is code for you probably can't afford it!

• Advertisement

with the bypass type there is sometimes a tendency for the blades to be twisted apart, and then they don't cut through properly.
    most commonly when trying to cut dead wood, i've found. i don't really recall it being an issue with wet wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Fair enough I didnt notice that, these are the ones I have.
    I use them for cutting birch branches into kindling. It saves having to split logs down into kindling. The anvil is going to be slightly better for larger sizes, say 30-40mm, because with the bypass type there is sometimes a tendency for the blades to be twisted apart, and then they don't cut through properly.

That price is ludicrous, they are half that on amazon!

my3cents wrote: »
    The models have changed slightly over the years but these are the nearest to the ones I'd buy if I could justify the price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Felco-Model-Lopper-Two-hand-pruning/dp/B0006229QU/ . Used to use them commercially and they were excellent.

+1 on the Felco and don’t forget if they snap or something breaks on them they have a lifetime guarantee.

I also have a slightly cheaper pair of Bahco professional, which are very good, I can’t remember the price but a bit cheaper than the Felco.

You really do get what you pay for and it isn’t worth scrimping if you want something to last.

I purchased a cheapo and rather small aperture set when in a hurry and not wanting to spend too much but they're already knackered so this time I'm going to do it properly - so recommendations for a set preferably NOT extendible. Not a fan of them to be honest. They must be able to cut at least 30mm branches with ease.

Have you thought about a good pruning saw instead of loppers?

Obviously you’d need secateurs for the smaller stuff.

A medium size Silky saw would probably do.

Just a word of caution, they really are as sharp as they say so always keep your spare hand away from the blade!

I tend to use loppers only for high overhead work or reaching into thorny areas.

Small branches are perfect for a pruning saw. I have a Silky Zubat and it's a pleasure to use, whereas bypass loppers are a pain in the hole.

Main thing with bypass loppers is to use relatively gentle force and let the ratchet do the work. Using force with bypass loppers will knacker them in no time.

Lumen wrote: »
    I tend to use loppers only for high overhead work or reaching into thorny areas.

Small branches are perfect for a pruning saw. I have a Silky Zubat and it's a pleasure to use, whereas bypass loppers are a pain in the hole.

Main thing with bypass loppers is to use relatively gentle force and let the ratchet do the work. Using force with bypass loppers will knacker them in no time.

The zubat is my go to saw, I have two of them, I also have the pocketboy 130, pocketboy 170, gomtaro pro sentei, katanaboy 650 and the biggest hayauchi.

They are all fantastic.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    The zubat is my go to saw, I have two of them, I also have the pocketboy 130, pocketboy 170, gomtaro pro sentei, katanaboy 650 and the biggest hayauchi.
    Holy moly. Can I be on your side in the zombie apocalypse?

Of course, the more the merrier I have three chainsaws and one on a stick if it gets tricky! :D

You haven't seen my axe and maul collection yet.

i bought a splitting maul on lunchbreak once; carried it into the office. the security guard just looked at me and shrugged, but a woman refused to get into the lift with me, despite my protestations that i didn't have enough room in there to swing it.

• Advertisement

You haven't seen my axe and maul collection yet.

I’m currently in my workshop looking at two
    2.5kg French nails and a hatchet, I don’t normally think of my workshop as an armoury, 30 razor sharp chisels too....just wondering what else I can play with.

French nails?

French nails?

Rotten autocorrect mauls!!

Scratching at the zombie's eyes with manicured french nails might actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

monkeynuz wrote: »

They are all fantastic.

Nah :) All you need is a bigboy. Small enough for one handed & big enough for two. I got mine on an Amazon warehouse deal £55

2crsluh.jpg

Discodog wrote: »
    Nah :) All you need is a bigboy. Small enough for one handed & big enough for two. I got mine on an Amazon warehouse deal £55

2crsluh.jpg

The katanaboy can be used one handed!

Although I have my eye on the new 1 metre version 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Back to pruners:
    I bought a Kamaki L81 from the Silky people at a forestry show in the UK a few years ago, and it's by far the best pruner I've ever used:
    http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/kamaki.php

Now, I've never used a Felco so I can't compare to them, but they're miles ahead of anything I've ever come across from the usual garden/farm/hardware shops.

I've never seen them on sale here in Ireland though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I generally like Wolf Garten but I was a little disappointed with their telescopic handle loppers. They are good but not as good as I was expecting.

Advertisement