Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/tist in the Spotlight - aquinn

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great answers so far!

1. Have you a dream race or time that you feel you'd retire happy if/when you achieve or do the goal posts keep moving?
    2. Best piece of advice you've ever been given?
    3. Single piece of advice you'd give to someone starting out?
    4. Any guilty pleasures?
    5. Strava/social media in general - help or hindrance?
    And finally would you mind sharing the secret to running fast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Another fine thread, hope not to repeat anything asked so far.

1. Long term wise, what would you like achieve on the running front. Are there certain races or times you really wish to do?

2. Do you feel you are a stronger person now after coming through what you did with your knee?

3. If you could beat one boardsie (aside from misterpaul) in a sprint finish who would it be?

4. Why did you choose Crusaders to run with? If you had to pick a different Dublin AC, which one would it be?

5. How sweet was that 10 mile pb knowing you are faster now for that distance post surgery than you were before. That is fair going!!

6. How much would you like people to not ask you about your knee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

1. Did you think you got away with me asking questions? :D (Some of the questions might look familiar ;) )

2. Will you go skiing again?Already answered... will you go on a holiday somewhere snowy again? :)

3. Did you like school?

4. What's your fave running gear? Any particularly nice or preferred tops/shorts/etc.?

5. Best meal you've ever eaten?

6. Best restaurant in Dublin?

7. Best holiday you've been on?

8. Top 3 concerts you've been to.

9. Best posts on A/R/T? (or at least, tell us about some posts you can easily recall 'cos they were awesome)?

10. Best ever threads on A/R/T?

11. Historically and right now, what are the best logs on A/R/T?

12. Do you have any treasured running paraphernalia, like old race numbers, your first pair of running runners, Raheny 5M plaque etc.? Or at least hang on to any of it? Or is it straight into the bin?

13. Which part of the Tuesday Cru warmup is your fave? Any part you dislike? How seriously do you take it?

14. Which poster(s) do you miss the most on A/R/T?

15. Why am I calling it A/R/T when the "T" has long since been banished?!

16. If you could only have one of Strava, the club or boards, which would it be and why?

17. Desert Island Discs?

18. Any claims to fame?

19. Ever meet anyone famous?

20. You've just won the lottery! What do you do? (Like, serious money, Euromillions).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello! Well done on the thread so far! People have already asked such great questions, I only have a few!

1) Do you feel you're fully back, confidence-wise after your knee operation? You're running great, but would you still hesitate to push as hard? Do you think you'll ever almost 'forget' you had surgery?

2) You should be really proud of all the work you did rehabbing you knee. Were there any unexpected positive effects? Like did the rehab make any parts of you stronger than ever, in ways you might notice either in running or ADL ('activities of daily living') :)

3) Loads of boardsies in your 'group' (I men people you run with like Murph D, Anna PR, Bungy Girl) sometimes do sessions on their own with the watch. Do you mainly do yours with the club, and if you do both, which do you prefer - your own timed session or track sessions with the club.

4) Favourite strip/singlet/colours of all the Dublin clubs (apart from Crusaders) :)

Thanks!!

ARRGH, it lost all my answers. Will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

aquinn wrote: »
    ARRGH, it lost all my answers. Will be back.

Oh nooooooo! I hate when that happens. I went through a phase of typing everything in Word and then pasting into boards as it was eating my posts so often. Sympathies!!!

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello! Well done on the thread so far! People have already asked such great questions, I only have a few!

1) Do you feel you're fully back, confidence-wise after your knee operation? You're running great, but would you still hesitate to push as hard? Do you think you'll ever almost 'forget' you had surgery?

2) You should be really proud of all the work you did rehabbing you knee. Were there any unexpected positive effects? Like did the rehab make any parts of you stronger than ever, in ways you might notice either in running or ADL ('activities of daily living') :)

3) Loads of boardsies in your 'group' (I men people you run with like Murph D, Anna PR, Bungy Girl) sometimes do sessions on their own with the watch. Do you mainly do yours with the club, and if you do both, which do you prefer - your own timed session or track sessions with the club.

4) Favourite strip/singlet/colours of all the Dublin clubs (apart from Crusaders) :)

Thanks!!

I have my fitness back anyway. I'm not sure about confidence. The majority of it I would say. Things like slippy surfaces and getting a kick in races still give me a fright. I'm careful with curbs. I can't use the knee as an excuse not to run anyway. Even if it swells during the day if I go for a run it doesn't bother me. I think I'm ok at pushing. More building confidence required though as to what I can achieve. I am more cautious that I used to be and wouldn't be a big risk taker anyway. At the minute I don't see myself as forgetting it as I can feel it every time I go down stairs.

2) You should be really proud of all the work you did rehabbing you knee. Were there any unexpected positive effects? Like did the rehab make any parts of you stronger than ever, in ways you might notice either in running or ADL ('activities of daily living')

Thank you. The rehab was tough going. I had a bad moment and a moan to my Sister after not seeing any improvement. She was very sensible and reminded me that I have a life and a job and can't spend the whole time in the gym. I am only normal and doing the best that I could as I am not a professional sportsperson. I do wonder should I really go back to the physio exercises and I possibly should. The minute the physio told me I could train for intervals and that it would help the knee rather than continueous running I was gone like a flash and back at the club and the physio hasn't seen me since.  

I only tend to go to the club once a week and that is on Tuesdays. I get a weekly schedule where I have the option of the club or do a session. I don't mind doing sessions on my own but wouldn't attempt a 12*400 or anything like that. I was recently given a 15*1 minute alternating between steady and easy pace. This I did ok and enjoyed it. It is good to train with the club and I have to get used to doing the run up and back on my own. It is a fair distance on a Tuesday night as I would end up covering 10+ miles with the run and then the session. The club do hills and long runs and a Thursday session which I don't do.  

Parkrun is amazing on a Saturday for incorporating a session. I have noticed that if I need to do a segment before parkrun I am very sluggish and struggling. Once parkrun starts it is the opposite and I have to slow myself down.

4) Favourite strip/singlet/colours of all the Dublin clubs (apart from Crusaders)

I don't think any of them are flattering to be honest. I did think it was really great at the recent 10 mile in Swords at the number of parkrun t-shirts though.  
    I hope that's all ok and thanks very much.

ariana` wrote: »
    Great answers so far!

1. Have you a dream race or time that you feel you'd retire happy if/when you achieve or do the goal posts keep moving?
    4. Any guilty pleasures?
    And finally would you mind sharing the secret to running fast :D

Good morning, congratulations on your weekend PB:

Not something I have thought about to be honest. I do love running but then when people say they want to keep on running when they are 70+ this doesn't appeal to me at all. Running is hard work. I would like to think I gave it my all and lined up as best I could with the predictions. I would like to achieve my full potential that if I trained for something that I did achieve it.  

Times would be sub 20km. Sub 43 or below for the 10km. Sub 35 for 5 mile. Sub 3:40 for the marathon.  

They are all fine times I would love to achieve. 

From the novices in 2014 before the marathon and I still think it was from Murph_D, he doesn't think it was. To enjoy your first marathon, you will never get the chance again. Embrace the day.  

Also, no matter how horrific the race was smile at the finish for the photos as you'll be stalked for months when they want you to buy them.  

None of us like running at the start. Once you run continuously for 30 minutes you have broken the back of it and you will then start to enjoy it.  

We all have unpleasant toilet moments and all move on. Don't fret.  

4. Any guilty pleasures?  

Purple snacks, see previous post.  

Yes, on Strava/FB/Twitter for the most part.  

I met P on Tinder so would obviously be a big fan of it.
    And finally would you mind sharing the secret to running fast  

Being short and stubborn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

From the novices in 2014 before the marathon and I still think it was from Murph_D, he doesn't think it was. To enjoy your first marathon, you will never get the chance again. Embrace the day.  

Also, no matter how horrific the race was smile at the finish for the photos as you'll be stalked for months when they want you to buy them.  

Well that didn’t sound quite like how I would put it, so I looked it up from that thread. ;)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Best of luck, all you debut marathoners.

Like some other things in life, the first time is rarely your greatest performance, but it's often the most memorable. :)

Trust the training, grab the reward, enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks! Great answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well that didn’t sound quite like how I would put it, so I looked it up from that thread. ;)

I knew D was gonna do that :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I knew D was gonna do that :D:D

Pedantic to the last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great thread, Aoife and everyone asking the questions...

1. You're someone who comes across as relentlessly positive... even in the depths of your rehab, you handled it really well... how do you manage to stay so upbeat?

2. What's your proudest moment as a pacer? (excluding almost killing me on the way to my 5k pb) How would you rate your pacing skills? (cough)

3. What's your pet hate at parkrun?

4. So, now that it's Friday will you be taking a break from work Boards for the weekend? :p

5. Is 'North Kildare' really a thing?

6. What's the worst thing any Boardsie has ever called you to your face in real life... (ok, in McGrattan's)?

diego_b wrote: »
    Another fine thread, hope not to repeat anything asked so far.

1. Long term wise, what would you like achieve on the running front. Are there certain races or times you really wish to do?

2. Do you feel you are a stronger person now after coming through what you did with your knee?

3. If you could beat one boardsie (aside from misterpaul) in a sprint finish who would it be?

4. Why did you choose Crusaders to run with? If you had to pick a different Dublin AC, which one would it be?

5. How sweet was that 10 mile pb knowing you are faster now for that distance post surgery than you were before. That is fair going!!

Evening,

Similar to another question. I suppose to run and race to the best of my ability.

I would love to pace actually, a HM or the fitness for the full and to be able to help others.

I completely underestimated what it would take out of me. I'm strong willed anyway but the biggest shock was losing my confidence. I had to be shown how to get on/off a bike or cross-trainer. Simple tasks.

What got me most at the start that it all happened so quickly and painlessly. That was what really made it hard. Some people are 'lucky' and their ACL just pops. Because I had no pain until the drugs wore off after surgery. That I found very hard.

Ha, BG.

It was equal distance at the time from home to Clonliffe and Raheny. As Denis and BG were members I went with Crusaders.

It's about time I got a new PB so delighted.

I don't mind. If I'm tired I can still limp or on a bad surface. It still swells in the cold and doesn't like the heat either.

Cheers D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I don't mind. If I'm tired I can still limp or on a bad surface. It still swells in the cold and doesn't like the heat either.

Cheers D

I think I told you that I had the same operation in 2009 also after a skiing accident. I have absolutely no trouble any more doing anything or with swelling or anything like that. It prob took two years to get to that point though.

It’s been very interesting reading your answers. Great thread.

Singer wrote: »
    1. Did you think you got away with me asking questions? :D (Some of the questions might look familiar ;) )

2. Will you go skiing again?Already answered... will you go on a holiday somewhere snowy again? :)

3. Did you like school?

4. What's your fave running gear? Any particularly nice or preferred tops/shorts/etc.?

9. Best posts on A/R/T? (or at least, tell us about some posts you can easily recall 'cos they were awesome)?

12. Do you have any treasured running paraphernalia, like old race numbers, your first pair of running runners, Raheny 5M plaque etc.? Or at least hang on to any of it? Or is it straight into the bin?

13. Which part of the Tuesday Cru warmup is your fave? Any part you dislike? How seriously do you take it?

16. If you could only have one of Strava, the club or boards, which would it be and why?

17. Desert Island Discs?

18. Any claims to fame?

20. You've just won the lottery! What do you do? (Like, serious money, Euromillions).

"]1. Did you think you got away with me asking questions? :D (Some of the questions might look familiar ;) )

So close!

I still have my ski gear but no, definitely not skiing. I'm not going boarding either before you ask.

Being on top of a mountain covered in snow and looking around and appreciating it all is magical. It is so beautiful up there. I don't see myself hiking up, and especially not to then jump off with a shute on your back.

3. Did you like school?

I did yes, I had no problems with anyone. Never in trouble.

I don't think so. Anything that doesn't leave a welt really. Sure I look great in everything?

I treated my Sister to Heron and Grey in Blackrock market last year, it was incredible.

I do love Chez Max. Opium was really good recently. The Washerwoman is excellent. I do love food so the list is fairly long.

13 months around the world. Turns out I have run in Australia.

The Stone roses in the park a few years ago was excellent.
    REM in Slane were super, I had gone to see Oasis and they were s#@t.
    Saw Lunusa recently with Natalie Portman, that was a great gig.

There was a time that I read logs that have been around for years from the start. I thought Killerz was excellent. I have yet to read Kristy's.

Nothing goes in the bin. I am a hoarder.

Yes, I keep all race numbers and write the summary of how it went always on it. Most is them mention how bloody hot it was.

I don't like the warm-up. I tend to not do some of the bits I don't like so ignore them. The knee in my excuse, it doesn't like bum kicks. I like strides.

The grumpy meno.

I don't think I noticed this before. T for triathlon?

My clubs on Strava.

17. Desert Island Discs?

18. Any claims to fame?

My Mother's, Cousins in-laws wrote the Fields of Athenry.

Dad's relations brought Naper Tandy in at Burtonport.

Aidan Gillen count?

20. You've just won the lottery! What do you do? (Like, serious money, Euromillions

Start with this for the craic?
    https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/21-cambridge-terrace-york-road-monkstown-co-dublin/4268906
    Posting now before I lose this.

Thanks B

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think I told you that I had the same operation in 2009 also after a skiing accident. I have absolutely no trouble any more doing anything or with swelling or anything like that. It prob took two years to get to that point though.

It’s been very interesting reading your answers. Great thread.

Thank you.

I know you mentioned it but I didn't know when you had it done. No more swelling or concerns, fully trust it? Ski again?

annapr wrote: »
    Great thread, Aoife and everyone asking the questions...

1. You're someone who comes across as relentlessly positive... even in the depths of your rehab, you handled it really well... how do you manage to stay so upbeat?

2. What's your proudest moment as a pacer? (excluding almost killing me on the way to my 5k pb) How would you rate your pacing skills? (cough)

4. So, now that it's Friday will you be taking a break from work Boards for the weekend? :p

6. What's the worst thing any Boardsie has ever called you to your face in real life... (ok, in McGrattan's)?

Ha, spot the person who knows me well.

I don't know. I can only guess due to my Family. They are amazing. We're all very different but get on very well. I'm incredibly lucky.

I go through bad phases. I tend to shut down. Just completely close off until I am ready to move on.

What are you on about, that was a great moment. Ok so a few bad last few 100 metres but other than that it was all great.

I have paced parkrun a few times now, officially. Still a lot to learn there to not come in slightly too fast. The first time 6 was very stressful. I just can't do km.

Ha, I have yet to meet a person who tells me how many parkrun they have done and I have never not mentioned I hope you have volunteered. I hate that people take advantage and don't volunteer, especially when they are regulars and the team is calling out for volunteers. It really annoys me.

Porterstown have the right idea. Do a standoff until the roster is filled, good for them.

Check me out. Friday night and online. Unusual I will admit.

What are you on about? Is it a 'thing'. It is where I am from. It isn't Narnia.

6. What's the worst thing any Boardsie has ever called you to your face in real life... (ok, in McGrattan's)

L&£#a, called me a C^%T and then threw my phone at ME! Still reeling.

Thank you.

I know you mentioned it but I didn't know when you had it done. No more swelling or concerns, fully trust it? Ski again?

Totally trust it. It’s never a concern. Only the scars bother me a bit and they are worse on the other leg where they took the tendon from to create a new crucial eye. Like you I had to be taught to do everything again, walking, stairs, balancing. I did go skiing the year after which was pure mad. Never mind pain, I was ridiculously nervous. I dropped down a few levels in ski school. I skied here down the hill in our garden during the snow in March :D - just to say I’d skied at home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Totally trust it. It’s never a concern. Only the scars bother me a bit and they are worse on the other leg where they took the tendon from to create a new crucial eye. Like you I had to be taught to do everything again, walking, stairs, balancing. I did go skiing the year after which was pure mad. Never mind pain, I was ridiculously nervous. I dropped down a few levels in ski school. I skied here down the hill in our garden during the snow in March :D - just to say I’d skied at home :D

I’d say aquinn is stunned into silence by your post-injury skiing exploits :)

Morning,

My week has come to an end.

Thanks all for taking part.

I have a newbie lined up and they will be available at the end of the month.

If you would like to volunteer in the mean time let me know, both here and don't forget to volulnteer at parkrun!

Thanks,

Aoife

• Advertisement

Thanks aquinn!

Advertisement