Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Fix RTE?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

vicwatson wrote: »
    Stop paying those “top 10” exhorbitant amounts of our cash for starters. Rte think they are the national broadcaster of america ffs

Set a wage cap of €100,000.
    Its utter madness that in a tiny market like Ireland, people can be paid half a million plus to chat on the radio for a couple of hours a day.

If you aren't happy with that, go sell your talent abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nonsense. The top 10 have prime time slots. Advertisers pay for this regardless of whether it's Miriam, Marty or Marian. The people who watch and listen to these programmes are often victims of circumstance, trapped in waiting rooms, hospital wards, nursing homes or just watch the "late late" because they've always done. Sure, there's a handful of people who might like Ryan Tubridy and /or Ray D'Arcy but I've yet to meet one, however, I've met hundreds who complain about them. These RTE cronies offer neither insight nor entertainment in their textbook interviews. If you put any presenter in those slots you'd see the same level of revenue and possibly even more because the public might be interested to see how a new face might succeed as surely the newcomer couldn't be as poor as the incumbents.

You've obviously done your research around the hospitals and waiting rooms. But your reasoning about the Late Late is a bit suspect.

I think we move in different circles. I have never had a conversation with anyone about radio presenters. I wonder in what circumstances someone would have hundreds of such interactions?

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

More Mary Kennedy with less clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As for trying to make the orchestras relevant....stop copying ideas that have been done before, and done better.

01-385970.jpg?w=500

C7MHPikX4AMggHh.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

No one is remotely interested in getting a picture of her pussys either.

• Advertisement

Jimmy. wrote: »
    More Mary Kennedy with less clothing.

Homer_Simpson_Eye_Bleach_animated_450.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Star Bingo wrote: »
    There’s a lack of adventure in RTE where’s the irish bear grylls. Ireland’s Most Dangerous Roads? Dual Survivor in the comeragh mountains.... why was it down to the BBC to pack Ed n Dara off to Mandalay

But they ended up showing Youth Hostelling (*) with Chris Eubank (**)

* B&Bs
    ** Daniel O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

As for trying to make the orchestras relevant....stop copying ideas that have been done before, and done better.

01-385970.jpg?w=500

C7MHPikX4AMggHh.jpg

Jenny greene has been doing it since 2016, same as Pete Tong I think.

Ipso wrote: »
    But they ended up showing Youth Hostelling (*) with Chris Eubank (**)

* B&Bs
    ** Daniel O'Donnell

Monkey* Tennis** with Nathan Carter

*sheep
    **hurling

Jenny greene has been doing it since 2016, same as Pete Tong I think.

Tong recorded and released Classic House, then RTE had an "idea" I think.
    He's onto round 2 at this stage.

pete_tong_orchestra.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Tong recorded and released Classic House, then RTE had an "idea" I think.
    He's onto round 2 at this stage.

pete_tong_orchestra.jpg

So are RTE, they've moved on to the rap/hiphop equivalent of it. I don't like much of what RTE do but the concert orchestra really are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

It’s all gone Pete Tong :o bring back Jo Maxi

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I don't think anybody was saying shut them down. But they are too much of a shoulder of burden for RTE. Privatize them and let them market themselves. Have an Irish version of The Proms and market the recordings.

how are they too much of a shoulder of burden for RTE? in the great scheme of things i'd imagine they don't cost that much.
    why should we privatize them and let them market themselves given rte can market them and they would likely still receive public funding?
    there is nothing stopping rte having an Irish version of The Proms and marketing the recordings if there is demand as it is, they don't need to be privatized for that to happen.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Set a wage cap of €100,000.
    Its utter madness that in a tiny market like Ireland, people can be paid half a million plus to chat on the radio for a couple of hours a day.

If you aren't happy with that, go sell your talent abroad.

doesn't work like that anywhere in terms of broadcasting. those who bring in the money and the audience will get a wage that reflects that, which will depend on the size of audience and revenue.
    the people being paid half a million to chat for a couple of hours a day are bringing in a high audience and i suspect quite high revenue, hence they get a wage that reflects that. that's not going to change because like any broadcaster, good talent has to be paid for. now there are personally some broadcasters on rte that i don't think are good at all, just like everyone else has their views on specific broadcasters. but regardless of my opinion they clearly are doing a good job in terms of audience and revenue for their employer.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So are RTE, they've moved on to the rap/hiphop equivalent of it. I don't like much of what RTE do but the concert orchestra really are fantastic.

Which is in itself a copy of BBCs Electric Proms. There isn't an original idea inside the boundaries of Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

how are they too much of a shoulder of burden for RTE? in the great scheme of things i'd imagine they don't cost that much.
    why should we privatize them and let them market themselves given rte can market them and they would likely still receive public funding?
    there is nothing stopping rte having an Irish version of The Proms and marketing the recordings if there is demand as it is, they don't need to be privatized for that to happen.

doesn't work like that anywhere in terms of broadcasting. those who bring in the money and the audience will get a wage that reflects that, which will depend on the size of audience and revenue.
    the people being paid half a million to chat for a couple of hours a day are bringing in a high audience and i suspect quite high revenue, hence they get a wage that reflects that. that's not going to change because like any broadcaster, good talent has to be paid for. now there are personally some broadcasters on rte that i don't think are good at all, just like everyone else has their views on specific broadcasters. but regardless of my opinion they clearly are doing a good job in terms of audience and revenue for their employer.

Musicians like that don't get out of bed for less than €100,000 a year and there are a lot of them on the payroll. Good orchestras pay for themselves and if the RTESO is losing money they should be forced to turn that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Musicians like that don't get out of bed for less than €100,000 a year and there are a lot of them on the payroll. Good orchestras pay for themselves and if the RTESO is losing money they should be forced to turn that around.

good orchestras pay for themselves how? perhapse those orchestras that do pay for themselves are involved in less of a minority part of the musical art then the rte ones? given the rte orchestra is technically a public service then how should they be forced to turn any losses around given it's likely what they offer is an ultra-minority but likely culturally signifficant part of the musical art?
    i still want to know how the rte orchestras are to much of a burdin on rte and why privatizing them would make any difference to that given rte would likely still commission them and pay for that via the licence fee? i'm assuming that they are dedicated to rte work so wouldn't have the time to do other activities?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

good orchestras pay for themselves how? perhapse those orchestras that do pay for themselves are involved in less of a minority part of the musical art then the rte ones? given the rte orchestra is technically a public service then how should they be forced to turn any losses around given it's likely what they offer is an ultra-minority but likely culturally signifficant part of the musical art?
    i still want to know how the rte orchestras are to much of a burdin on rte and why privatizing them would make any difference to that given rte would likely still commission them and pay for that via the licence fee? i'm assuming that they are dedicated to rte work so wouldn't have the time to do other activities?

You mean RTE would commision €13 million in orchestral services per year if it didn't have its own orchestra? That's ridiculous.

Advertisement