Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Leopardstown Valley a rough area to live?

Options
  • 10-09-2018 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been living in Dublin for 2 years with my family (wife + 2yo kids) and we are looking for a house to rent, since our apartment got too small for all of us.

There are a few affordable options in Leopardstown Valley, close to Dunnes and Leopardstown Luas stop.

From my research, I found that Ballyogan is a rough area with frequent antisocial behaviour. Most of what I found about it is from a few years ago, though.

How safe is it to live in Leopardstown Valley today, considering it's very close to Ballyogan and shares the same Luas stops?

Is it safe enough to walk from Luas at night? Are break-ins common around there?

We are looking for a place where we can safely stroll around with the kids at day and stay home in peace at night.

Although we live in North Wall and we're used to go back and forth from the city centre late at night, there is always people around. Leopardstown on the other hand seems to get pretty desert.

Any advices are welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't frequent the area. I've seen a small amount of vandalism in Ballyogan, but nothing in Leopardstown Valley. Despite Luas and bus, Leopardstown Valley is a bit car dominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You get a few scummy teenagers hanging around outside the spar in the evening and I wouldn't go in the pub there but you've nothing to worry about. It's a fairly quiet middle class area outside of the ballyogan estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abp

You get a few scummy teenagers hanging around outside the spar in the evening and I wouldn't go in the pub there but you've nothing to worry about. It's a fairly quiet middle class area outside of the ballyogan estate.

My wife has had rocks thrown at her while walking near Spencer Dock/North Wall Quay. What you said doesn't seem much worse than what we are used to here :)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moved to Dublin County South

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Its not rough at all, even the working class areas are reasonably quiet compared to what the north inner city would be.

Some problems coming out of the local halting site but thats to be expected anywhere there is a halting site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I lived in the Gallops for 9 years. There is an anti social element to the old council estate but I don’t think it was that bad.

With the Luas and local facilities I think it’s a great area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dutch.irish

Hi,

I am getting a new construction house in Lucan Shackelton Park at 360k 3bed middle terrace but I am confused between the new development in Lepordstown opposite luas stop at 390k for a 2 bed apartment but it's a bit out of my budget but I was trying to stretch considering Lepordstown is south and will be safest but after reading the reviews I dont know what to do. Can you suggest what's right as I intent to be safe with family and kids and will also look for renting the house after few years as i will move back to my home country in few years. I dont know if renting a 3 bed in lucan will be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yoke

Shackleton park is a very nice area, and very safe. Renting out a house there should be easy enough, I think there's plenty of demand there.

I suspect Lucan is priced relatively low compared to similar areas because it has no viable train option to the city centre, and had a really **** bus service back in the day, although I don't know if that's true anymore. Also there are a few ex-council estates in Lucan that can be dodgy, but nowhere near Shackleton park!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

abp wrote: »
    My wife has had rocks thrown at her while walking near Spencer Dock/North Wall Quay. What you said doesn't seem much worse than what we are used to here :)

Thanks

That’s not great. It doesn’t make leopardstown any better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s not great. It doesn’t make leopardstown any better

Would I live in Leopardstown Valley? Only after speaking to each of the neighbours in every house 3 doors up and down, and visiting the area late at night on weekends as well as during the day. A friend rented there for a few years and there were parking issues and sound issues.

Would I live in the inner city? Hell, no. Some wonderful people but the rogues spoil it for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think you take a chance no matter where you choose to live nowadays. That's just life.

I'd do what a pp said, and go around at night, weekends, etc. and see what's going on around the place. If you feel it's right have a word with neighbours and the local Gardai.

But in the main Leopardstown Valley looks sound and has good transport links and shops and schools on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In my experience Ballyogan is the centre for many of the problems in the Leopardstown area, although there are a few families doing their best to try and improve the area. Everywhere outside of that is generally fine.

In Lucan the problem areas are more diffuse and you have to be a bit more careful with where you choose. There are some nice areas, and some areas which are not. Generally West of the Penny-hill is best. You'll get a bigger house in Lucan for the same money.

I'd personally have an issue buying somewhere where there is large amounts of space for new developments as you can never be sure what a future government decides to build in the area.

The LUAS is a huge advantage for Leopardstown, and being near the mountains is great if you are an active family. If buying in Lucan you need to be very careful about making sure you are comfortable with the commute.

Advertisement