Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best / tastiest Pear Tree to grow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭worded

On ripening pears

Ripening pears - best done off the tree according to what I’m reading on two sites .... https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Ripen-Pears%3famp=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Comice, William or conference are all good pears.

Conference are always best ripened off the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭worded

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Comice, William or conference are all good pears.

I have this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Home-grown Conference are pretty good but you DO have to pay attention to picking and storing for ripening. They are an easy tree to grow but rely on pollinators, make sure the bees fly.

Beurre de Comice is tricky to grow but the years that mine ripened they were celestial. 1e One year in ten.

Proverb: A pear is perfect for only fifteen minutes. True.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

monkeynuz wrote: »

I've three pear trees, and if I'm honest I've no idea which variety (Pirum Aldi Vulgaris? ;) ). Two have small enough fruit, heavy cropping, quite hard and very tasty, the other has larger softer fruit that I usually pass on to elderly neighbours. What I love about the smaller hard fruit, is they're slow to ripen and slow to go off, hence providing a late crop of fresh fruit when all the apples are long gone. Most years I'm still eating them until late November and the last few fruit were still on the tree at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

smacl wrote: »
    I've three pear trees, and if I'm honest I've no idea which variety (Pirum Aldi Vulgaris? ;) ).
    :):):)

Advertisement