Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Issues

Options
  • 10-09-2018 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the correct thread, but unsure of where else to put it!

I have the chromecast plugged in to the tv, did a factory reset of it, downloaded the google home app. The app detects there is a chromecast to be set up, but when I go to set it up I just get the following screen

eg5lbc.jpg

Installation just stalls at this screen.

Can anybody suggest what to do?
    My internet connection (vodafone siro) works perfectly with other things, phones, laptops, sky q box, so don't think there's an issue there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

What are you seeing on the tv at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

This screen;

img_588fd4954a26a.png

Check if your phone is connecting to the Chromecast wifi (probably Chromecast0082 if thats your tv screen dump above)

Hi Tom, phone is connecting to Vodafone, not Chromecast.

Hi Tom, phone is connecting to Vodafone, not Chromecast.

Can you see a Chromecast-related wifi network? If not, move closer to the TV.

• Advertisement

I can see it, but shouldn't connect my phone WiFi to this surely?

I can see it, but shouldn't connect my phone WiFi to this surely?

If youre using the phone to set up the Chromecast, it has to be connected. Otherwise, the Chromecast has no way of being connected to, as it has no knowledge of your internal wifi settings.

Google Home shoukd have done that automatically.

TomOnBoard wrote:
    If youre using the phone to set up the Chromecast, it has to be connected. Otherwise, the Chromecast has no way of being connected to, as it has no knowledge of your internal wifi settings.

Ah. Okay. Will try it out later. Does this mean I'll never be able to stream from WiFi to chromecast, as it will be connected to chromecast network rather than broadband network, or once its set up will it be okay?

Ah. Okay. Will try it out later. Does this mean I'll never be able to stream from WiFi to chromecast, as it will be connected to chromecast network rather than broadband network, or once its set up will it be okay?

When you connect to it, youre going to feed it the SSID and credentials for your internal WiFi network, after which time you'll connect your phone back to WiFi network as well. If Google Play had worked correctly, you wouldn't even see this step.

Lovely, thank you Tom, will give it another go this evening. I'll let you know how it goes!

• Advertisement

IMHO, Google Home is a bit flaky when dealing with the Chromecast. I tend to cast from my laptop's Chrome browser as it seems to work best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

What generation of Chromecast are you trying to set up?

The second (round) one takes a few tries, but found that the first (er...looks like a jew's harp) was absolutely useless no matter how many times I factory reset it!

Also, FYI... VLC now lets you cast files. Just click Playback - Renderer and you'll see the chromecast there. ;)

Worked a treat Tom, thanks. All is working perfectly.

Also thanks to verycool for the VLC tip, must check it out. Have Allcast for using with Showbox, but it's not the best.

It's a 2nd gen.

Advertisement