Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Christmas Debate - #1 Sweets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

This option might make peoples choices easier :D

Quality Street pick and mix is coming to John Lewis this Christmas with an exclusive personalisation station at their Oxford Street department store in London.

From September – when the Christmas shop will open – John Lewis will partner with the iconic confectioners to offer customers bespoke, collector’s edition tins of their favourite sweets.

Whether your go-to chocolate is The Purple One, Strawberry Delight or The Green Triangle, you can choose your absolute favourites from Quality Street's 12-strong assortment. It also ensures that you won't have that one unwanted chocolate flavour left in the tin!

http://https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/food-drink/a22130566/john-lewis-quality-street-pick-mix-personalisation-christmas/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Other
    Ultimate tin: Heroes choc eclair, Penny toffee from QS, Teaser from celebrations, Lindt red ball, Twirl from Heroes, Purple one from QS, Toffee one from Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I chose Other.
    I find miniatures-size bars just a gimmick, not Christmassy at all.
    Only had Quality Street once as a child (still have the tin, though !) so do not have any memory of it.
    Tried Roses when I lived in Ireland, maybe I was unlucky but always seemed the get flavours I did not like (full disclosure: don't like toffee).
    So
    In my family we get selections of Ferrero chocolates at Christmas, and my favourites amongst those are Pocket Coffee, followed by Mon Cherie (the boozie cherry ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Miniature Heroes
    Celebrations for me.
    Mainly because they are the only tub that are emptied and I enjoy.
    I find the quality of them fairly consistent.
    Every year we end up with tubs of strawberry, orange and coffee roses/Quality Street left over.
    I used like quality street but they've dropped sweets such as the nut chocolate and introduced stuff such as that honeycomb one in the last few years and I love honeycomb.

Miniature Heroes
    Celebrations..

I just love maltesers. I steal all of them as soon as the box is opened. Mine , mine, mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Celebrations
    Lads...with the weather outside and the talk of chocolate I may just cave and buy a tub tonight....*leaves thread quickly- you're all a bad influence :P*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Celebrations
    jellybear wrote: »
    Lads...with the weather outside and the talk of chocolate I may just cave and buy a tub tonight....*leaves thread quickly- you're all a bad influence :P*

Funny you say bad but I hear great influence :P

Also if anyone doesn’t like the orange and strawberry sweets in roses and quality street I am happy to rehome them for ya :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Celebrations
    51 votes placed so far and only 5 votes separating the top 3!

Going to be a lot closer than I thought!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Other
    Loughc wrote: »
    Also if anyone doesn’t like the orange and strawberry sweets in roses and quality street I am happy to rehome them for ya :pac:
    I'm happy to rehome these plus coffee ones and any Bounty celebrations :pac: It's funny how the ones everyone hates are the ones I love. More for me!

Other
    Ill have a load of fudge heroes going spare. Free to a good home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 trik

Miniature Heroes
    Definitely Celebrations for me. I used to love Roses, they were my favourite, but Cadbury's chocolate has changed so much that I don't like it anymore.

Celebrations
    Pter wrote: »
    Ill have a load of fudge heroes going spare. Free to a good home.

Sold.

11qgtna.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Celebrations
    Another vote for Quality Street! I’m one of the rare breed that devours all the orange and strawberry cream ones first !
    Quality Street lasts about 48 in our house whereas Roses will last 2 weeks!
    Think that says it all 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Other
    Heroes for me. Grew up with Roses but ever since they dropped the coffee cream and moved the mini Bournville I dropped them. I also find it easier to ration the children's intake by allowing them a mini bar as treats.

Celebrations
    Loughc wrote: »
    51 votes placed so far and only 5 votes separating the top 3!

Going to be a lot closer than I thought!

67 votes now and only 5 votes separating the top 4 now! It’s getting even closer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Celebrations
    Grew up with Quality Street and Roses. The others are just modern imitations. Pity you can't get real roses any more. I know they are called Roses but they taste nothing like the real ones. Whatever they are coated in isn't chocolate.

Quality street wins my vote because I can still close my eyes eat the Orange Creme and be transported to the my definition of the happiest place on earth. My childhood living room at 7am with a fire crackling to life, some cartoons on TV, surrounded by family and presents from Santa.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Miniature Heroes
    Celebrations, because everyone I know seems to hate Bountys, which just leaves more for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Celebrations
    I love the Bountys! :D My favourite celebration!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Other
    There's a bit of a Bounty fan club forming in here :D

Celebrations
    Another Bounty fan here too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I chose other. The quality drop in the others is just way too steep for me to buy them any more. Two years ago I bought some big tubs on offer but no-one wanted to actually eat them. They just sat on my coffee table until long after Easter. Last year I went out and bought a selection of chocolates and sweets that I actually really like and put them in festive tubs and tins. It was much better.

Other
    Saw a metal tin of heroes in Supervalu last night for €10. Big auld size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I was torn between Quality Street and other.....but I went with other.  Quality  Street are up there, but not as good as they used to be - I would probably say Thorntons nowadays.  I used to love Roses, but in common with everyone else, I wouldn't be bothered with them now.  Got a box of Heros as a present last year - they finally got finished in June....says in all really. 
    I'm also in the Bounty fan club when it comes to the Celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Used to be Roses hands down for me. But they've gotten a bit stingier over the years and some of the new flavours / presentations don't do it for me. Actually built up a liking of the coffee version because they were the dregs left over after Christmas...and I really like chocolate so needs must :D

Like very few of Quality Street, Celebrations are pretty good (needs more Malteasers though...and Galaxy Truffle when that was a thing) though I don't like Snickers or Bounty, while Miniature Heroes has a good selection.

My box of choice, however, is Terry's Orange Sensations. Love getting a couple of the popping candy ones at the same time!

461071.JPG

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Quality Street
    I voted roses bacause overall I like more of the selection, however a tin comprised of just Bountys would be heaven.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Celebrations
    I'm all for the Quality Street vote, out of the tin/tub selection. Quality Street have the green triangles and the purple ones.
    However, you can't beat Ferrero Rochers in the grand scheme of things.

However, I've almost given up chocolate completely, so will be restraining myself this Christmas and not bulk buying sweets like I usually do. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Quality Street
    I was traditionally always a Roses man, then they went and ruined them. I was pleasantly surprised last year in finding that they had made changes I approved of, so Roses are back on the menu. My tastes have changed over the years and I now live the coffee, orange and strawberry creme sweets!

Much less chocolatey but very flavorsome are Lemon's Season's Greetings. I rarely see them any more and miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Miniature Heroes
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Much less chocolatey but very flavorsome are Lemon's Season's Greetings. I rarely see them any more and miss them.

We used always get these. Never had an issue.
    The company last year was sold to a Polish company and they were very disappointing and had dropped several sweats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Celebrations
    Quality Street all day long. Toffee Penny, Toffee stick thing, used to have the brown wrapper toffee type thing (actually, did they bring them back), and work well for my family at Christmas because the kids like the fudge, and cremes and not the toffees.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Celebrations
    Definitely going with quality street because of the traditional selection and upkeep of quality...heroes are up there too but I find them kinda sickening.....might be my issue with having to eat around 20 in a row though

Advertisement