Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darndale Sunbather in a Vegetative state

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Awful story, fact that the person who ruined their lives hasn't even been caught and charged is desperate

I read the story this morning and gofundme was at 2k around 8am, I can see its now hitting 10k so hopefully they can bring him home or provide better care with that money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Cabaal wrote: »
    Awful story, fact that the person who ruined their lives hasn't even been caught and charged is desperate

The law shouldn't have as many grey areas as it does...

Yeah, It's great to see the target being reached but we know even that money won't get her far given the cost of living here in Dublin. It just touched me how her life is also ruined knowing the plans they had to try for baby... it's all beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

they only just arrived in the country and this happens :(

some people live very unfortunate lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

It's just awful! So tragic for them. I hope they are at least able to claim benefits, the state should be looking after them.
    Cannot believe scramblers are legally used in a public park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This reminds me of an incident when I was in college, a couple of German erasmus students rented an apartment in Herberton Apartments (formerly known as Fatima Mansions) and were stabbed to death by some scumbag kids a few weeks later when they answered the door, for the 'crime' of not letting the assholes in to drink cans.

Reminds me of this one because, just like Herberton and as awful and admittedly snobbish-sounding as this is, with the state of the justice system in this country Darndale is one of those places I just wouldn't take the risk of hanging around in. Not because I believe the majority in those places are assholes - I know for a fact and personal experience that they aren't - but because in this country, the minority who are, are guaranteed to be free individuals and not safely behind bars, under house arrest, or otherwise physically locked up like they should be.

Of course foreigners who come to Ireland have no way of knowing this, and it would be totally un-PC to put up signs saying "NOTICE: Because of our utterly spineless judiciary, criminals known to be operating in this area do so with impunity. Proceed with caution." in areas with known anti-social behaviour issues - issues which could be gone a long way towards solving within weeks if the individuals responsible were no longer free to walk the streets as they wished.

I honestly always get more of a horrible sympathy-pang when I read these stories and it's foreigners or tourists who've been injured or killed by scumbags in scumbaggery blackspot areas, because at least as an Irish person one has a reasonable chance of knowing which parks, streets, buildings etc are dangerous no-go areas. A foreigner comes along to a place like this (Darndale Park on Google Street view) and they're just going to think "oh look, a nice patch of green open space on a beautiful summer's day! Let's head in there and chill out for a bit". Your average Dubliner is going to say "A bit of open green space in Darndale... Yeah that's probably not a good idea, maybe let's not do that."

And again, I am not casting any aspersions on the average citizenry of Darndale. This is not a class or social housing bashing issue. This is about the fact that in every community you get a minority of psychopathic types who don't give a f*ck about anyone else and have no problem hurting others (or even find hurting or hassling others to be great craic), but in Ireland, we simply let those people be and don't intervene to prevent them from acting on their violent or disruptive tendencies. My own local area would be regarded as a 'posh' suburb, but it does have several areas which are simply known by local people as being dangerous and unsafe to walk or hang out in, because they are known to be frequented by dangerous individuals. And that's all well and good, until some poor foreigner enters the equation and can't see anything beyond "well this looks like a nice bit of public green space - and there's hardly anyone here, we have it to ourselves! Jackpot!"

As a country, we really should be more ashamed that we don't deal with this. A civilised country shouldn't have any "no-go areas", FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Heartbreaking story. It's a scandal that dangerous carry on with scramblers and quads is allowed to go on in parts of Dublin with impunity. Proper and timely action by the authorities could have prevented this innocent man from being left in a vegetative state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Surely there's a law about criminal negligence or something that would cover this. I can understand that there could be a loophole in that they can't charge someone with using the bike in the park (and that should be cleaned up) but surely there's an existing law about hitting someone in the head with one.

@hatrickpatrick good points raised and many would be in agreement.

I'm sure the decent locals of Darndale would find this equally as tragic and feel it's a large stain on their community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Go Fund Me nearly 13k now, fair play people

vicwatson wrote: »
    Go Fund Me nearly 13k now, fair play people

Alot of good still exists in the world. Sadly the money won't fix her shattered life plans but it will relieve some of the short term financial burden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Grayson wrote: »
    Surely there's a law about criminal negligence or something that would cover this. I can understand that there could be a loophole in that they can't charge someone with using the bike in the park (and that should be cleaned up) but surely there's an existing law about hitting someone in the head with one.

Personally I think a charge of manslaughter would be appropriate. It's shocking that no charge has been leveled at the biker.

We have laws for cycling a push bike irresponsibly on a pedestrian path but somehow this is a grey area...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I see this all the time in D1. Guys racing around with no helmets. Gaurds seem powerless to stop it. I know Darndale Park a little and while it is better than it used to be it is not a place I would bring my kids.

conorhal wrote: »
    Personally I think a charge of manslaughter would be appropriate. It's shocking that no charge has been leveled at the biker.

He is not dead

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I see this all the time in D1. Guys racing around with no helmets.

Like these ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbBxmBU_vFA ... (the fools enter about 8 seconds in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

This was a daily occurance in Tolka Valley park when I was living in Finglas and the guards basically told me to stop reporting it because there was nothing they could do and 'if we chase them it'll just get more dangerous'. As far as I'm concerned the blame for this lies first with the scumbag on the bike, but the Gardai are a surprisingly close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This was a daily occurance in Tolka Valley park when I was living in Finglas and the guards basically told me to stop reporting it because there was nothing they could do and 'if we chase them it'll just get more dangerous'. As far as I'm concerned the blame for this lies first with the scumbag on the bike, but the Gardai are a surprisingly close second.

I have to disagree with this, and regulars here will know that I'm the last person to defend AGS when they're accused of corruption or wrongdoing, but honestly ths blame for this lies at the doorstep of the judiciary, not the Gardai. It's not the Gardai's fault when they spend a few weeks or months surveilling low level scumbag criminals, build a case, collect evidence, prepare a file for the DPP and then show up to court to actually give evidence in person - and the judge says "broken home, addiction problems, bad crowd, turning his life around... Meh suspended sentence. Off you go now - and don't do it again!"

That must be so horribly demoralising when you're a good police officer genuinely trying to make your community a better place and you find yourself arresting the exact same f*ckers week after week, dragging them to court, and having a judge let them go. Ireland needs more jails and harsher mandatory sentences for violent behaviour. The Gardai honestly seem to be trying their best within the existing framework - but when that framework is "no matter what action we take, once it gets to court the whole attempt to deal with the situation dies", it's got to be hard to motivate yourself to show up for work every day and see nothing come of it.

Honestly, my analogy for the work the Gardai do in places like Darndale is, imagine if you worked for a company where your own job was to type out and print long, complicated reports every week - and your week ended, without fail, in delibering the file to your boss, watching him or her literally shred it and toss it in the bin without even reading it, and then having him or her say "good job this week! Enjoy the weekend, see you Monday".

That's what the Gardai are dealing with when they have to put up with judges who refuse to punish criminals after the Gardai manage to convict. We're not talking innocent until proven guilty here, we're talking people who have literally been found guilty in court, and are still allowed to walk out of the court and immediately resume their scumbaggery.

Love/Hate, fictional though it was, did a good job of explaining that in the series in which brain-damaged Tommy ratted out the lads for their tiger kidnapping antics - there's a conversation in which the lawyer says "sure we're grand, the case won't be heard for a year or two and we'll build a nice sympathy story in the meantime. Worst case scenario, Fran might end up doing a year or so and the rest of you will be grand."

Ireland needs to get past the idea that there aren't some genuine bad apples out there who need to be forcibly segregated from the law abiding population by means of a long (years long) jail sentence. There are, unfortunately, some people with whom the only way to stop them doing violent things is to physically prevent them from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

rainemac wrote: »
    It's just awful! So tragic for them. I hope they are at least able to claim benefits, the state should be looking after them.
    Cannot believe scramblers are legally used in a public park.

Apparently she can't get any benefits as she's Russian so she's not entitled to any in her own right and the husband is being cared for by the state.

Nightmare scenario for anyone to find themselves in. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unfortunately this is an incident that even the locals will tell you was seen coming, The park has been full of people on scramblers ,quads and horses for years

I was up watching a soccer match early one Sunday morning and there was numerous bikes zipping across the pitch when the ball is at the other end,
     It's nothing new and its not unfair to single out  Darndale, its happing in loads of parks around the city , Bikes quads and young lads on horses,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Grayson wrote: »
    Yes, criminal negligence and dangerous driving are two possibilities in this case.

"It's a park and it has bye-laws" is a bullsh1t fob-off. The person who said it is either profoundly ignorant or profoundly lazy.

If I stabbed someone in a park, the Gardai wouldn't ask the park authorities whether that was against the bye-laws.

Criminal Law > Bye-Laws. Always.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to seek compensation from MIBI?

truely awful story.

the guards' attitude is just really passing the buck and spineless.

I recall a story in the north but involving a woman originally from westmeath - 35 and the mother of 3 young kids - killed while out for a walk after being hit by a scrambler

http://www.thejournal.ie/valerie-armstrong-scrambler-bike-death-2887741-Jul2016/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/woman-35-dies-after-being-hit-by-a-scrambler-bike-1.2729507

at least the "youth" in that case got 18 months in the end

had no sympathy for the cases where a couple of years in a row in Dublin (2/3 years ago?) some of these idiots managed to kill themselves a day after getting such a responsible present for Christmas from ma and da

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I see this all the time in D1. Guys racing around with no helmets. Gaurds seem powerless to stop it. I know Darndale Park a little and while it is better than it used to be it is not a place I would bring my kids.

Gardaí can stop it. How do these scumbags get to the park? They drive on public roads. Guarantee the gardai know where 90% of these "bikers" live. A road near me in Finglas has scumbags driving scramblers up the road about 3 times a day, usually no helmet, numberplate, breaking red lights, up on footpaths.
    Unfortunately it was an Armenian roofer and his foreign wife that had their lives ruined. Nothing will be done. If it was a Judges son, a TD's son, Joe Duffys cousin or some one important from the right part of town there'd be police checkpoints, bylaw changes, raids, CCTV, garda bike units, online investigations set up all within the week. But no, same old shíte, little scumbags on their bikes will continue.

Youtube is full of videos of scumbags like this btw. Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMAhD9_Shuc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cienciano wrote: »
    Gardaí can stop it. How do these scumbags get to the park? They drive on public roads. Guarantee the gardai know where 90% of these "bikers" live. A road near me in Finglas has scumbags driving scramblers up the road about 3 times a day, usually no helmet, numberplate, breaking red lights, up on footpaths.
    Unfortunately it was an Armenian roofer and his foreign wife that had their lives ruined. Nothing will be done. If it was a Judges son, a TD's son, Joe Duffys cousin or some one important from the right part of town there'd be police checkpoints, bylaw changes, raids, CCTV, garda bike units, online investigations set up all within the week. But no, same old shíte, little scumbags on their bikes will continue.

Ha in D1 they just ride around the streets as no park to speak of. They couldn't give a shyte about anybody or anything.

Cienciano wrote: »

I mean, this isn't hard. Watch the video for 2 minutes, and you can establish that they came from <snip>.

Granted, that was 3 years ago so no use now, but keep an eye out for a few channels and the Gardai could nail these knackbags within hours. Take the bikes, destroy them, job done.

seamus wrote: »
    Take the bikes, destroy them, job done.

Chances of them being taxed and insured? Insurers should hike the insurance on these... make it completely inaccessible.

Should be easy for the Gardai then to take the bikes away.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Chances of them being taxed and insured? Insurers should hike the insurance on these... make it completely inaccessible.

Taxed and insured :D:D

Good one.

seamus wrote: »
    Taxed and insured :D:D

Good one.

This is the thing, even paddy power wouldn't give you odds on these things being insured or taxed. It would be a pretty easy "campaign" for the Gardai to run here, spend a week targeting these people, even if there are no criminal charges, the will have at least made the location safer to live in by removing more of these things from the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

This is the thing, even paddy power wouldn't give you odds on these things being insured or taxed. It would be a pretty easy "campaign" for the Gardai to run here, spend a week targeting these people, even if there are no criminal charges, the will have at least made the location safer to live in by removing more of these things from the streets.

Sure they aren't even road legal, never mind tax and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I read this earlier this morning and the gofundme was about €5000 at that stage. Glad to see that it's almost quadrupled since then. I hope this gentleman can recover and that his wife feels as though she's getting some bit of support from the Irish public because neither of them seem to be getting any support from the law or government.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Sure they aren't even road legal, never mind tax and insurance.

And because of this MIBI compensation wouldn't be available to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

What profoundly depressing news.

if there was ever a gofundme that was worthy this is one. great to see that it has just gone over €20k.
    but not sure how far that would go if they would be liable for medical bills.

glasso wrote: »
    if there was ever a gofundme that was worthy this is one. great to see that it has just gone over €20k.

One example of social media being a good thing also, that's how I came across the gofundme page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I don't think they'll be liable for the medical bills as he is from Europe, still 20k won't last too long if the poor lady is not entitled to any social welfare and can't get a job because her English is very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why is he not being charged just because theres no laws against driving scrambler bikes through a park? Surely grevious bodily harm through negligence is still an appropriate charge regardless of how he caused it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It was just contained mostly in Tolka park but over the last few years they're all over Finglas. A few weeks ago I seen one break a red light at an intersection, mount a path, just miss a Gardai car that had to break for it then sped off. Gardai couldn't do anything but watch. The sale of them needs to be regulated and the need to be banned outright from certain areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

This is so sad, all their dreams gone in a second, I hope he recovers and they get to live the life they were dreaming of. Hopefully this money will help her stay in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Why when one of these grey tracksuit runts gets killed on a quad its all over the papers how sad blahh blahh blahh when all they are are scumbags. Its a guarantee that the vermin that caused this poor guys injuries is still out in the park doing the same thing.The only hope for any justice in this country will be if him and his mates play chicken with a bin lorry and lose and we can listen to all the boo hooing on liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Very hard to read that, christ life is a bitch. I hope they find some kind of solace.

Quick edit:

Does gofundme take paypal?

• Advertisement

Poor woman on rte news tonight. Pure Devastation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

kupus wrote: »
    Very hard to read that, christ life is a bitch. I hope they find some kind of solace.

Quick edit:

Does gofundme take paypal?

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Just to echo what's been said above, I live in a fairly nice area but literally one street over can be scumbag central. A few days ago I saw a gang of scumbag kids running out of a shop carrying everything from cans of beer to tubs of ice cream. One of them got on their bike, cycled down the wrong side of the road and a car coming around the corner had to do an emergency stop. Of course, the little scumbag started mouthing off to the driver. To them, this is just great craic.

A few weeks ago, I saw a scumbag driving a car so fast around a roundabout that he lost control of the car and ended up mounting the roundabout itself. Luckily nobody else was there at the time otherwise it could have been a nasty accident.

About a year ago, I was waiting at a bus stop with a few others and a scumbag swerved onto the path to hit another scumbag (which he did) and took off again. The other scumbag limped away. The driver was seconds away from ploughing his car into a bus stop full of people if he had lost control during the crazy maneuver.

Nothing will change in this country unless there is genuine consequence for this antisocial behavior.

As for that poor woman in the story, can't imagine what she is going through. Her whole future completely uncertain now.

When I lived in Lucan/Clondalkin, you would see and more so hear these daily.
    There is a spot on the ring road where it goes from 80 to 50 and there are always guards here ready to pull you.

One day, there was a garda on a motorbike at this junction, then came a group of youngsters on these and one of them even hit him on his helmet when they raced passed him, the garda then turned around and looked like he was going to chase them, and then paused and then did a 180 and went the other way, and as he did, a little lad passed him on one of these scramblers (no helmet), I hazzard a guess he was not even a teenager and stuck the finger at him.

The reality is that they don't care...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

It is pretty amazing that Mary harney could bring in legislation overnight to screw over the takeover of BUPA and yet they cannot change laws to stop pedophile judges and assh@les like this. This is what makes me ashamed of our politicians.

Very proud of the Irish people who have donated €25k+ though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

why when the scum are in court is the poverty defense always aloud to be used.
    If they can use the poor upbringing/ bad parent/ disadvantaged area bullsh*t as mitigation then previous convictions should also be aloud as a way of reinforcing the need for a custodial sentence. they should not have it both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I have to disagree with this, and regulars here will know that I'm the last person to defend AGS when they're accused of corruption or wrongdoing, but honestly ths blame for this lies at the doorstep of the judiciary, not the Gardai. It's not the Gardai's fault when they spend a few weeks or months surveilling low level scumbag criminals, build a case, collect evidence, prepare a file for the DPP and then show up to court to actually give evidence in person - and the judge says "broken home, addiction problems, bad crowd, turning his life around... Meh suspended sentence. Off you go now - and don't do it again!"

That must be so horribly demoralising when you're a good police officer genuinely trying to make your community a better place and you find yourself arresting the exact same f*ckers week after week, dragging them to court, and having a judge let them go. Ireland needs more jails and harsher mandatory sentences for violent behaviour. The Gardai honestly seem to be trying their best within the existing framework - but when that framework is "no matter what action we take, once it gets to court the whole attempt to deal with the situation dies", it's got to be hard to motivate yourself to show up for work every day and see nothing come of it.

Honestly, my analogy for the work the Gardai do in places like Darndale is, imagine if you worked for a company where your own job was to type out and print long, complicated reports every week - and your week ended, without fail, in delibering the file to your boss, watching him or her literally shred it and toss it in the bin without even reading it, and then having him or her say "good job this week! Enjoy the weekend, see you Monday".

That's what the Gardai are dealing with when they have to put up with judges who refuse to punish criminals after the Gardai manage to convict. We're not talking innocent until proven guilty here, we're talking people who have literally been found guilty in court, and are still allowed to walk out of the court and immediately resume their scumbaggery.

Love/Hate, fictional though it was, did a good job of explaining that in the series in which brain-damaged Tommy ratted out the lads for their tiger kidnapping antics - there's a conversation in which the lawyer says "sure we're grand, the case won't be heard for a year or two and we'll build a nice sympathy story in the meantime. Worst case scenario, Fran might end up doing a year or so and the rest of you will be grand."

Ireland needs to get past the idea that there aren't some genuine bad apples out there who need to be forcibly segregated from the law abiding population by means of a long (years long) jail sentence. There are, unfortunately, some people with whom the only way to stop them doing violent things is to physically prevent them from doing so.

While this is generally true, this is not the issue with bikes and quads in parks. The issue is that Gardaí are not allowed intervene. And if they were, they probably wouldn't because there is absolutely no doubt that if a young lad fell of his bike and got seriously injured after the Gardaí tried to stop him the Garda who was driving would be thrown under the bus without hesitation.

Someone else mentioned going to the houses and removing the bikes from there. I'm not sure what law or warrant would allow you to do that.

What might help is to make parents criminally and civilly liable for allowing a child to use a vehicle like this in a public place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

NoDrama wrote: »
    The reality is that they don't care...

Exactly, they don't care because there is no consequence. And it is also ingrained into them at a very early age by some parents that the police are the enemy. I'll never forget when I used to work down in the IFSC and there was a group of kids hanging around from the surrounding area. When a garda car passed by, one of the kids, who was barely school-going age, blocked his face with his arm as the car passed so they couldn't see his face. It was pretty much instinctual for him, which for a child that young, is absolutely crazy when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Most aren't even registered, never mind tax and insurance.

Definitely, first gofundme I ever donated too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

When I was living in the city centre and my 2 month old motorcycle was stolen on Christmas day the response from the guards seemed like utter defeat. They mentioned it was probably in darndale by mid morning and trashed in the middle of a field. On the way to the station several scrotes on bikes were speeding on the road and almost crashed into the squad car. Guards just mentioned there's nothing they can do to stop it, they just let them run out of fuel and try to intercept the bike. If you're on a bike in Ireland and you want to cause mayhem, you're pretty much immune to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement