Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again.. and no job (rant)

Options
  • 10-09-2018 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I'm looking for a job in an area where there is no teacher shortage and in fact, every year there are more teachers moving back looking for work closer to home. I teach one core subject and after that most of my experience is in learning support or filler subjects, so I do understand why other candidates would be more attractive to management.

My main issue is that a former school has passed me over for interview twice this summer. I worked there for over a year, and no interview! I'm extremely concerned about this, as the principal is my second reference. Last year they had a teacher going out on SEN teaching practice, and I covered her for the first block of her placement. I made it clear to the principal that I was looking for more stable work and might not be available for the second block. Sure enough, when they texted me in the middle of December, I was unable to work the weeks in January. I haven't spoken to this Principal since. When I called the school in June re: a reference, they were unavailable and had the secretary call me back to say that it was ok.

I know I'm probably over thinking things because I'm in a bad situation, but I've had some of my best interviews this year and still no job. I'm terrified to ask for feedback from interviews, and I really don't want to approach this former principal.

I suppose this is just a rant, because I've made a decision to leave the profession as I can't handle the uncertainty anymore. I just have to struggle through another two years of this while I retrain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

I feel exactly the same. I don’t know where this job shortage is. The language subjects perhaps but I’m staring at my phone all day , refreshing ed posts looking for a miracle. It’s soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Eimee90 wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same. I don’t know where this job shortage is. The language subjects perhaps but I’m staring at my phone all day , refreshing ed posts looking for a miracle. It’s soul destroying.

Yes educationposts has been very quite all summer long definitely in my area. Don't give up - I only started in my job last year around the third week of September!! The maternity leaves will be starting soon. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

What have you decided to leave teaching for? What area will you go into

i'm in the same boat as you. Demoralised

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I feel totally the same. I am 7 years teaching and so far the only work this year is 2 days subbing this week.

I applied to a job last week which cost me 2 hours of my time to complete their standard application, e3.10 to post it and e5 to photocopy all the numerous documents + 3 copies they were looking for and will I even get a reply? Maddening.

Jane98 wrote: »
    I feel totally the same. I am 7 years teaching and so far the only work this year is 2 days subbing this week.

I applied to a job last week which cost me 2 hours of my time to complete their standard application, e3.10 to post it and e5 to photocopy all the numerous documents + 3 copies they were looking for and will I even get a reply? Maddening.

I presume that is primary - yes it is absolutely (In the words of Martin Callinan :) ) disgusting and that school probably won't have the decency to reply. Thankfully in second level, a lot more schools are accepting applications via email so that burden is lifted although I know a school that required five copies of the application form - would I apply for that school - probably not - I think that's there to put you off. Also, I have noticed that some schools require an online application form which is just copy and paste from your CV but it takes a good amount of time.

Has anyone noticed that educationposts has been very quiet of late? I know they introduced a charge for advertising vacancies so maybe it is having an impact. I also notice that educationcareers have a lot of ETB vacancies - are schools not advertising and bringing in people that they know or are there just no jobs??? (I know schools are legally obliged to advertise but where are the vacancies - a small ad in the local paper??)

• Advertisement

I presume that is primary

Actually it's secondary. Closing date was last Friday and as expected I haven't heard a thing.

I presume that is primary - yes it is absolutely (In the words of Martin Callinan :) ) disgusting and that school probably won't have the decency to reply. Thankfully in second level, a lot more schools are accepting applications via email so that burden is lifted although I know a school that required five copies of the application form - would I apply for that school - probably not - I think that's there to put you off. Also, I have noticed that some schools require an online application form which is just copy and paste from your CV but it takes a good amount of time.

Has anyone noticed that educationposts has been very quiet of late? I know they introduced a charge for advertising vacancies so maybe it is having an impact. I also notice that educationcareers have a lot of ETB vacancies - are schools not advertising and bringing in people that they know or are there just no jobs??? (I know schools are legally obliged to advertise but where are the vacancies - a small ad in the local paper??)

I’m secondary, no work so far. I’m going mad here. Have very up and down days where I feel so dejected about my situation. Education posts has been so quiet. I didn’t hear about this charge to advertise, another way to deter getting jobs. I’ve gotten a few alerts from ED Posts only to see its three/four hours work. I’m nearly at the point that I’d take it though.

I presume that is primary

Actually it's secondary. Closing date was last Friday and as expected I haven't heard a thing.

It can take more than a week depending on who you are applying to i.e. if ETB it will be much longer. If vol secondary then there could be a lot of applicants or something could happen in the meantime. Don't give up yet. I have started ringing schools for shortlisting criteria if not shortlisted.

I’m secondary, no work so far. I’m going mad here. Have very up and down days where I feel so dejected about my situation. Education posts has been so quiet. I didn’t hear about this charge to advertise, another way to deter getting jobs. I’ve gotten a few alerts from ED Posts only to see its three/four hours work. I’m nearly at the point that I’d take it though.

I would jump at a few weeks work as you never know where it may be lead - even general subbing is better than sitting at home. It is a terrible situation to be in - I've been there!! Best of luck.

I never knew about the 'educationcareers' website, so I had a quick look and spotted a job that I would be qualified for but am very dubious as there is very little information about the role and the school are using an irish version of their name.
    Is it fair to be skeptical?

• Advertisement

It can take more than a week depending on who you are applying to i.e. if ETB it will be much longer. If vol secondary then there could be a lot of applicants or something could happen in the meantime. Don't give up yet. I have started ringing schools for shortlisting criteria if not shortlisted.

Do you find schools actually give you that information re shortlisting criteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woovington

Hi,
    Secondary school qualified PE sub needed in my school for 20 days in Dublin. Does anyone know someone who could take on this position. Or anyone have any advice on how to find someone would be greatly appreciated.

I would jump at a few weeks work as you never know where it may be lead - even general subbing is better than sitting at home. It is a terrible situation to be in - I've been there!! Best of luck.

I probably didn’t phrase that right. These 2- 4 hours would be in areas that it would cost more to travel than what I’d get back. I’d have no problem doing any hours if it pays the bills but can’t afford any that leave me short on rent.

Is it early yet, I rarely find myself this late without anything.

I never knew about the 'educationcareers' website, so I had a quick look and spotted a job that I would be qualified for but am very dubious as there is very little information about the role and the school are using an irish version of their name.

I wouldn't be. From what I've seen on educationcareers, it seems to be the ETBs and I know in my area, they prefer to go by their Irish name so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'd apply anyway.

Do you find schools actually give you that information re shortlisting criteria?

Well I am always shortlisted and in one school I wasn't, I rang to see why I didn't make the shortlist - principal did tell me the reason. I also questioned the ETB and they do gave me the shortlisting criteria.
    I probably didn’t phrase that right. These 2- 4 hours would be in areas that it would cost more to travel than what I’d get back. I’d have no problem doing any hours if it pays the bills but can’t afford any that leave me short on rent.

Yes I get your point. I'm sort of in the same position at the minute - have part time hours but over an hours drive - so am looking for something closer to home with better hours - it may happen - if not, I'll have to stick it out where I am.

Well with mid-term approaching, there may be maternity leaves. Never give up hope - I know it's difficult but you will get that call. I did get work last year but it was this/last week and was sorted for a few months work. I hate that question everyone feels that they can ask 'Where are you now?'

I wouldn't be. From what I've seen on educationcareers, it seems to be the ETBs and I know in my area, they prefer to go by their Irish name so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'd apply anyway.

Well I am always shortlisted and in one school I wasn't, I rang to see why I didn't make the shortlist - principal did tell me the reason. I also questioned the ETB and they do gave me the shortlisting criteria.

Yes I get your point. I'm sort of in the same position at the minute - have part time hours but over an hours drive - so am looking for something closer to home with better hours - it may happen - if not, I'll have to stick it out where I am.

Well with mid-term approaching, there may be maternity leaves. Never give up hope - I know it's difficult but you will get that call. I did get work last year but it was this/last week and was sorted for a few months work. I hate that question everyone feels that they can ask 'Where are you now?'

It’s also the pain of people you know from schools you were in asking how are you getting on and the shame of saying you have nothing at the moment.

Advertisement