Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a garage liveable

Options
  • 10-09-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm looking at getting a concrete shed and converting it into a living space.

I would be using one of these chaps and modifying the inside accordingly.

Total size would be just under 24sqm (9x2.65) - garden is about 140 sqm.

Rough plan below

https://ibb.co/db4oH9

https://ibb.co/mXBw4p

Questions

1 - under 25sqm - need planning?
    2 - the household water and waste pipe access ports are literally 1 metre from where I will place the unit. Easy to connect?
    3 - insulation - was planning moisture membrane, foam, plastic sheet, wood panelling. Passive air vents. Sound ok?
    4. Raised bed as illustrated - was figuring single steel beam support - ok?
    5. Electricity is sorted.
    6. What am I missing? Is this doable?

Thanks for any advice - very new to this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

As described, planning required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

What amendments would be needed to avoid planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

What amendments would be needed to avoid planning?

The living part.

:)

So if it was for instance, an office, everything is ok? i.e. dump the bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    The living part.

That made me smile.:D:D

OP,
    If the unit was to be habitable it will need separate connections to the Irish Water network, i.e. water and FS unless it can be deemed an extension to the existing property.
    Separate access to the the unit? You allowed for that to existing house?

• Advertisement

Made me smile too :)

It is basically in the driveway which is beside the house - however would be set back from the front of the house by about 4 meters. To all intents and purposes it would be an extension that was not actually attached. There would be a meter wide side passage between the shed and the house - which is where the electricity, waste and water access are all situated. If it needs to be an extension, costs start to rise significantly I guess - the Barna is only €7000 for the base unit - with maybe another €5-6000 to fit it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Made me smile too :)

It is basically in the driveway which is beside the house - however would be set back from the front of the house by about 4 meters. To all intents and purposes it would be an extension that was not actually attached. There would be a meter wide side passage between the shed and the house - which is where the electricity, waste and water access are all situated. If it needs to be an extension, costs start to rise significantly I guess - the Barna is only €7000 for the base unit - with maybe another €5-6000 to fit it out.

I was speaking to a lad yesterday who sells log cabins, you can ad a forty metre extension to home without pp assuming it hasnt already been extended and you have a certain amount of open space left, so connect this to home and voila... Is that an option for the op?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I was speaking to a lad yesterday who sells log cabins, you can ad a forty metre extension to home without pp assuming it hasnt already been extended and you have a certain amount of open space left, so connect this to home and voila... Is that an option for the op?

Has to be completely to the rear.
    Has to have 25 Sq. open space to rear remaining.

Now the hard part...….
    Because its an extension, it needs to comply with Building Regulations. Insulation, limit heat loss, limit uncontrolled air infiltration and it also needs to comply with Part B (Fire Safety). Show me a log cabin in this country that complies with our fire safety regulation, specifically, external spread of fire.

The log cabin also needs to be connected to the main dwelling and how this is done needs to comply with Construction Product Regulations, it needs to be weather proof etc

So to re-cap, it will actually be cheaper to build a proper extension then to try get a log cabin to meet regulations.

Not an option with the log cabin - although I have looked at them for the future and my sustainable living plan! My dream is to be Laura Ingles Wilder... no wait I mean, Grizzly Adams!!

But also, it would look too different from the main house. The big attraction of the Kelly Barna is the finish is the same as the house.

Advertisement