Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smelly people on public transport

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Skinny people do smell but not as much as obese people. Would wager an unhealthy diet is a huge cause of BO with all the crap emitting from pores.

Such ill informed nonsense in one post, kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think I know what it is in a lot of cases.

Sometimes if you wash clothes and they're not 100% dry and you put them away, they get a damp smell. I assume it's some sort of bacteria/fungal/mildew thing. But it gives clothes a horrible smell. It doesn't go away after the next wash either, it gets worse, so some people could continue wearing these stinky clothes wash after wash. They don't notice it and because they wash their clothes and shower, they think they're fine. I walked past someone in a shop last sunday with the damp clothes smell and it was unbelievably strong.
    I have thrown out clothes like this but putting a cup vinegar in the wash of any infected clothes gets rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Oh look, more fat bashing.

NEWSFLASH - skinny f**kers sweat too.

I wasn't "fat bashing". The girl I so happened to reference was obese which was a definite factor in her smelling like cheese.

Yes, I am aware there are plenty of skinny BO offenders :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Jimmy your come backs are getting lame you really need to take your head out of peoples crotches.

Balls deep in your wife’s one is a health and safety hazard :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The dirty cnuts are the ones that have to shower 2-3 times a day WTF are they doing to get so dirty?

Exercising?

Skinny people do smell but not as much as obese people. Would wager an unhealthy diet is a huge cause of BO with all the crap emitting from pores.

I think its just that the fat increases body temperature and makes you sweat more, causing more smell, rather than the food they eat, don't think that really affects the smell of your sweat very significantly

trik wrote: »
    The absolute worst for me is the garlic-type breath that some people have in the morning. I've noticed it far worse with continental Europeans, I think it must be something they eat for breakfast, maybe some type of salami or something. I feel like puking when I'm next to or talking to someone with that stench.

I noticed that too actually with a lot of continental europeans, I think it is some kind of ham or salami

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It doesn't adhere to your agenda OP, but most people do actually shower in the morning.

Anyway, that's what you get for being a peasant and using public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The medieval church used industrial quantities of incense to combat the reak of unwashed damp peasants attending compulsory church services.

At least the majority of people do wash and change their clothes more than once a year these days :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Such ill informed nonsense in one post, kudos.

Far from it actually. Do you really think skinny people smell more than fat people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Far from it actually. Do you really think skinny people smell more than fat people?

Whoever washes less smells worse. If you shower every day and change your clothes, you won't smell from sweat, even if it's a hot day and you're doing physical activity. But wear the same shirt or don't shower you'll start to stink the next day. It's down to hygiene, not weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Cienciano wrote: »
    Whoever washes less smells worse. If you shower every day and change your clothes, you won't smell from sweat, even if it's a hot day and you're doing physical activity. But wear the same shirt or don't shower you'll start to stink the next day. It's down to hygiene, not weight.

Not necessarily. Some people just naturally smell worse than others. Like someone might have a shower ever second day and you don't get a whiff, but someone else who showers daily might be that stinkier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

OP carry an oversized novelty clothesline peg in your bag and next time a reeker sits beside you, peg your nose shut with a theatrical flourish.
    Not only will it let the reeker know that they stink, it will also give the other passengers a good laugh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I once worked in a short contract job just after finishing college doing data entry (seriously soul destroying in itself) and a woman colleague had the most vile, foul stench from her person and it wasn’t BO but from her lady parts. No-one said anything at the time but people would ask to be moved from the office she worked in and another co worker used air freshener in the office all day long to try to mask the stench. The fact that the radio was on all the time churning out crap from Robbie Williams, Janet Jackson and the Lighthouse People didn’t add to the experience...

This was the late 90s - I finished up after a couple of months and got offered my first proper “career” job. I was delighted to be leaving that place.

Been there allright. Yer one was suffering from depression badly at the time though.

Then there was the one on the bus - as she walked from the back seat to the front of the bus you could see people recoil, reach for windows and the rest as the waft hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think I know what it is in a lot of cases.

Sometimes if you wash clothes and they're not 100% dry and you put them away, they get a damp smell. I assume it's some sort of bacteria/fungal/mildew thing. But it gives clothes a horrible smell. It doesn't go away after the next wash either, it gets worse, so some people could continue wearing these stinky clothes wash after wash. They don't notice it and because they wash their clothes and shower, they think they're fine. I walked past someone in a shop last sunday with the damp clothes smell and it was unbelievably strong.
    I have thrown out clothes like this but putting a cup vinegar in the wash of any infected clothes gets rid of it.

No, I know what you're referring to and that is its own distinct smell.
    Kind of like rotting vegetables.

There's also a difference between stale BO sweat and the "that person is a bit smelly today" from travel/rushing around whatever. .

• Advertisement
Advertisement