Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaky Bitcoin Blues

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

elefant wrote: »
    Well, I certainly do.

You'd want to have a pretty warped idea of society if you think most people don't like paying taxes towards anything that doesn't directly benefit themselves.

Mate if people liked doing that there wouldnt be strict law on taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mate you’re a slave. You’re so far deep into the slave mindset that you cant fathom a world where a person keeps whats theirs.
    Oh I can.

It's called anarcho-capitalism.

And it's one where a small number of people live in fortified compounds with their "stuff" while the rest of the world fights over resources outside.

Guess what - you wouldn't be one of the people living safely with all your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Loads of Buttcoiners are into libertarian woo. All that Austrian school of economics nonsense. Everyone is an individual and the state is the ultimate tyranny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-Bitcoin-Right-Wing-Extremism-Forerunners/dp/1517901804

Good book about bitcoin being heavily influenced by right wing extremism and libertarian bollocks.

seamus wrote: »
    Oh I can.

It's called anarcho-capitalism.

And it's one where a small number of people live in fortified compounds with their "stuff" while the rest of the world fights over resources outside.

Guess what - you wouldn't be one of the people living safely with all your stuff.

It already exists today mate. The cartels in latin america. Pablo escobar. 100 billion USD. Living a life of paradise while the rest of the world pays 20% on their 8eu wages

Loads of Buttcoiners are into libertarian woo. All that Austrian school of economics nonsense. Everyone is an individual and the state is the ultimate tyranny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-Bitcoin-Right-Wing-Extremism-Forerunners/dp/1517901804

Good book about bitcoin being heavily influenced by right wing extremism and libertarian bollocks.

Do you honestly think a Professor of English knows the first thing about blockchains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It already exists today mate. The cartels in latin america. Pablo escobar. 100 billion USD. Living a life of paradise while the rest of the world pays 20% on their 8eu wages

Yeah we wish we were Pablo Escobar - dead for the last 25 years, the day after his 44th birthday!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yeah we wish we were Pablo Escobar - dead for the last 25 years, the day after his 44th birthday!

Yes. Killed by the government with vested help and influence from the Federal government of the US.

You wanna live a life of big government? Authoritarian state? Then pay your taxes. Fund the machine thats keeping you shackled in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Good luck with building your roads, paying for your kids teachers, firemen, ambulance drivers, cops, prison officers, hospital nurses, running costs, water services etc etc etc yourself!

Yes, it seems to me that if nobody paid taxes, we’d all have to increase our personal skillsets exponentially to cover all the above stuff and use our personal wealth to pay for all the stuff that our taxes pay for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nermal

In terms of the good of society and the future of humanity, a currency that's immune to taxation is not a good thing.

A government that can identify and take your money is not a good thing either. Taxation would still be possible even if bitcoin was the national currency anyway, no need to panic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bingo. That's the problem with those of this "libertarian" bent, they think they'd be "John Galt", but vanishingly few of them would be. Never mind that they themselves would have and continue to benefit from wider society and taxes and government etc.

It's the philosophy of the self, the self involved and purely self interested. "Self made men" are often to be found among their number. I did, so why can't everybody else!! types. It's also often populated by those who have been at some point in someway rejected by the very society they seem to despise. The bookish Billy no mates folks in school, who because they are bright do well after school and make a life for themselves, who then project that early social rejection into an odd philosophy.
    You’re projecting. I can donate money to causes if i wanted to. Do i wanna pay for methadone clinics, social welfare and whatever else doesnt benefit me? Do you?
    Yes, because I'm not a sociopath. Nor am I a fool(mostly..), because even a fool can see that a society built on such me me me foundations ends up as a shit hole, with wealth accumulating among a tiny percentage, some who feed off them and the rest outside the walls fighting among themselves and trying to get over said walls. As Seamus said; anarcho-capitalism. As for the example of Mexican cartels, that's coming from crazy naivete, trolling, or a place of stupidity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Thank you captain hindsight

hehe.

As the old line has it, those who are so keen on no government in theory should move to Mogadishu and see how they like it in practice.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bingo. That's the problem with those of this "libertarian" bent, they think they'd be "John Galt", but vanishingly few of them would be. Never mind that they themselves would have and continue to benefit from wider society and taxes and government etc.

It's the philosophy of the self, the self involved and purely self interested. "Self made men" are often to be found among their number. I did, so why can't everybody else!! types. It's also often populated by those who have been at some point in someway rejected by the very society they seem to despise. The bookish Billy no mates folks in school, who because they are bright do well after school and make a life for themselves, who then project that early social rejection into an odd philosophy.

Yes, because I'm not a sociopath. Nor am I a fool(mostly..), because even a fool can see that a society built on such me me me foundations ends up as a shit hole, with wealth accumulating among a tiny percentage, some who feed off them and the rest outside the walls fighting among themselves and trying to get over said walls. As Seamus said; anarcho-capitalism. As for the example of Mexican cartels, that's coming from crazy naivete, trolling, or a place of stupidity.

Yes mate im so rejected by my family, friends and uni. Thats why i dont like paying taxes
    Thats NPC tier arguments lol

As the old line has it, those who are so keen on no government in theory should move to Mogadishu and see how they like it in practice.

‘JUsT Go tO AfRiCa’

NPC tier. Thats not what libertarianism is about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yes mate im so rejected by my family, friends and uni. Thats why i dont like paying taxes

Should I convert my BTC to NPC? Is it more stable?

The wife is going mad here!!

Can the word "mate" be put on some Boards' list of expletives that are replaced by *? And add 'Pal' and 'Bud' to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can the word "mate" be put on some Boards' list of expletives that are replaced by *?

No Pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

What the **** is "NPC tier?"

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    What the **** is "NPC tier?"

Its just a joke mate

Standman wrote: »
    Should I convert my BTC to NPC? Is it more stable?

The wife is going mad here!!
    Yes, send all your btc to my address ill convert them for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Its just a joke mate
    What does it mean mate

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    What does it mean mate

Its the hottest new meme. NPC = non playable character in videogames.

Aka people with no inner monologue simply parroting their programming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yes, send all your btc to my address ill convert them for you

Not falling for that one Lad, got burned by Elon Musk last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Anybody making their "millions" in BTC trading would have been beaten to death long ago in the absence of society :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Its the hottest new meme. NPC = non playable character in videogames.

Aka people with no inner monologue simply parroting their programming

What's a meme?

What's a meme?

Memetics (also referred to colloquially as memeology) is the study of information and culture based on an analogy with Darwinian evolution. Proponents describe memetics as an approach to evolutionary models of cultural information transfer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

31266891.jpg

What's a meme?
    What the previous poster copy pasted and/or an easy out in lieu of an argument. I did it myself above. Kinda. Like the shorthand all too common like "sheep/SJW/Fascist/NPC/Whatever" stuff on the interwebs. That's the thing about the interwebs, it shows the common mind to be all too common and all too banal and all too easily influenced.

Irony free too. QV "Aka people with no inner monologue simply parroting their programming" while spouting a third hand imported interwebs "philosophy" verbatim while thinking others are running on programming. It's rare a debate on any matter and from any side on any matter doesn't at some point do this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a terrible analogy anyway since in any computer game, NPCs generally fare a lot better than playable characters.

The playable characters die thousands of times before they taste success. NPCs rarely die, they just tend to their house, talk to passers-by and get to live a happy existence.

Of course, make the game a one-shot deal, no save points, no health bar, no magic, just one life, and being an NPC becomes the far superior option.

It's a terrible analogy anyway since in any computer game, NPCs generally fare a lot better than playable characters.

The playable characters die thousands of times before they taste success. NPCs rarely die, they just tend to their house, talk to passers-by and get to live a happy existence.

Of course, make the game a one-shot deal, no save points, no health bar, no magic, just one life, and being an NPC becomes the far superior option.

NPCs are the characters you kill by the thousands mate.
    Only an NPC would be proud of being an NPC

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    31266891.jpg

What the previous poster copy pasted and/or an easy out in lieu of an argument. I did it myself above. Kinda. Like the shorthand all too common like "sheep/SJW/Fascist/NPC/Whatever" stuff on the interwebs. That's the thing about the interwebs, it shows the common mind to be all too common and all too banal and all too easily influenced.

Irony free too. QV "Aka people with no inner monologue simply parroting their programming" while spouting a third hand imported interwebs "philosophy" verbatim while thinking others are running on programming. It's rare a debate on any matter and from any side on any matter doesn't at some point do this.

I clearly hit a nerve when i said i dont like paying taxes. Then suddenly some lad started projecting about social life and being rejected by society lol

Truly an NPC way of thinking. Does it scare you that other people think differently?

Advertisement