Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop battery.

Options
  • 10-09-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. I purchased a Lenovo Yoga laptop from Currys/PCWorld about 2 months ago. The battery life is supposed to be 2.5 hours but I have noticed it's only lasting about 50mins to an hour. After two weeks the charger top snapped and got stuck in the charger port. My partner returned the laptop and they deemed that the damage was 'physical', and would only offer a repair. He didn't mention at that time about the issues with the battery. So they repaired the charger and return the laptop. I emailed their customer service and outlined the issues with the battery and the repair on the charger. In the email I told them I felt the laptop is faulty and I fear I will have further issues with it and I wanted a replacement or refund. Their reply is that the battery is not covered under consumer law and I should buy a new battery. We also took out their insurance at the time of purchase. I have noticed other issues with the laptop but more on the programming side, it's very slow, the cursor just completely disappears off the screen requiring a forced shut down. It took two full days to do updates that should have only taken a few hours.
    I'm not staisfied with the laptop and I've not been using it as it's just very frustrating. So I've paid almost 400e for a laptop that I can't use two months on.
    Can anyone advise my if I am entitled to a replacement or refund and if what Currys claim about the battery not been covered is true and legal.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

batteries are considered consumables and generally are only covered for a year so you should be able to get that replaced under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Call the consumer connect line on
    Helpline Lo-call: 1890 432 432 | Helpline National: 01 402 5555 or visit https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you are entitled to once of the following repair, replace refund.

Currys would be acting reasonably by offering a repair. This repair must be permanent and if the issue occurs again you can insist on another remedy. as thats what they have offered you should allow them the chance to do so.

Re the battery you should stick to your guns and demand currys replace it. It is a special case because they are consumables, but you can counter that the battery has never worked to manufacturers specifications and it is only 2 months in the life of it.

Advertisement