Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Tour 2018

Options
  • 10-09-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Anyone else do the Rebel Tour last Saturday?
    Good turnout despite the weather, and the descents of the Healy Pass were a bit hairy because of the wind, rain, sheepshyte and loose chippings.
    Great fun! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Yea I enjoyed the day. Nice to get support on a long tough spin. Well organized and good food stops. The weather was as bad as it gets in Ireland. I’ll do it again I’m certain. Parts of it were so wet and wild it seemed like a dream when I think back. Like getting wiped out while surfing

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Biggest decision was left or right after first food stop on 160. Went right myself. Like cycling under a running shower for long periods. Wettest ever on a bike. Longest and most epic ride I've ever done. Rode Sheep's Head solo in beautiful sunshine on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hopelessone1

Great day out despite the weather which was as bad as it gets. Lots of people did went left after first foodstop and second foodstop was very quiet with loads of food left over. Anyone any idea how many registered and how many actually did it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

The event was very well organised, especially the Eyries food stop. Very good marshalling too. Heard a few at the Adrigole food stop saying that they were going to change to the shorter route. I decided to press on as I was soaked but not cold, and besides, my lift home (the missus) wasn't due in Glengarriff until 5 o'clock, so I would've been hanging around for a few hours cold, wet and hungry.
    I had the road to Castletownbere virtually to myself for a long time, and began to think that the 160km had been cancelled until I met a handful of fellow cyclists just before the town. Loads of sandwiches and other food at Eyries, but probably loads left over.
    Horrible weather, but I found the worst thing to do was rest for more than 5 minutes, as the cold would rapidly set in, so the best thing to do was to keep moving and get back on the bike as quick as possible.
    Saw 2 cases of broken chains, and heard 2 other lads who had broken chains discussing how they made temporary repairs but "Had to go easy on the hills" afterwards. Also a few punctures. Definitely an event that would find any weaknesses in your bike.
    It was noticeable when I arrived in Glengarriff at 5 o'clock that there were very few cyclists about, and later on leaving the town hardly any cars left that were lining both sides of the road early on.
    Did they switch to the 80km route and thus get back early or was I one of the last to finish?:D
    How many actually registered , and how many actually took part? I suspect that quite a few after seeing the weather stayed at home.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

I did the 160km route and found it to be a very well organised and well resourced sportive, despite the absolutely god awful weather! While the rain was mostly of moderate intensity there were some absolutely torrential downpours mixed in, hard to see much ahead at times. Very glad I packed my perfetto jersey and outer shell!

I noticed a fair few people started and headed off before the 9am start time, not sure why.

The loose chippings on the Healy Pass descent were bonkers; no doubt the roadworks were ordered by someone in the county council who wanted to see a few cyclists get picked off.:D

After the first food stop I noticed loads of people turning left to Glengarriff, they were just giving up after only 50km. In fairness it was freezing after that food stop and it was also when the first real downpour began...not easy to face into another 110km in those conditions.

There were so few on the road to Castletownbere with me that I also thought the event had been cancelled! Luckily caught up with a nice group and we shared the drafting all the way to Allihies.

Really pleased with my performance, it was the longest cycle I've ever done (previous was 130km) and the conditions really couldn't have been worse. I arrived back in Glengarriff around 15:25, Garmin said 05hrs 50 of cycling time and 30 minutes at food/water stops.

It was a pity that the reception event at the finish line was so dead, it felt like loads of people had simply gone home early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Also does anyone know where the photos will be uploaded? I saw a few 'professional' looking photographers at various stages.

Those poor volunteers at the top of Healy Pass, fair play to them for standing in the rain for 8 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Perciville

Weather was brutal and made for a tough day in the saddle. Roads were very quiet after the first food stop so presume a lot of people turned left and headed home. The Healy Pass descent was lethal with the loose surface and heavy winds. Enjoyed it all the same. Thanks to all the volunteers for hanging around in those conditions.

There have been some photos posted to the Cork Sports Partnership FB page. None of the Healy Pass yet as far as I can see. Hopefully some more will be posted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Surinam wrote: »
    I did the 160km route and found it to be a very well organised and well resourced sportive, despite the absolutely god awful weather! While the rain was mostly of moderate intensity there were some absolutely torrential downpours mixed in, hard to see much ahead at times. Very glad I packed my perfetto jersey and outer shell!

I noticed a fair few people started and headed off before the 9am start time, not sure why.

The loose chippings on the Healy Pass descent were bonkers; no doubt the roadworks were ordered by someone in the county council who wanted to see a few cyclists get picked off.:D

After the first food stop I noticed loads of people turning left to Glengarriff, they were just giving up after only 50km. In fairness it was freezing after that food stop and it was also when the first real downpour began...not easy to face into another 110km in those conditions.

There were so few on the road to Castletownbere with me that I also thought the event had been cancelled! Luckily caught up with a nice group and we shared the drafting all the way to Allihies.

Really pleased with my performance, it was the longest cycle I've ever done (previous was 130km) and the conditions really couldn't have been worse. I arrived back in Glengarriff around 15:25, Garmin said 05hrs 50 of cycling time and 30 minutes at food/water stops.

It was a pity that the reception event at the finish line was so dead, it felt like loads of people had simply gone home early.

You did brilliantly considering it was your first time at this distance. My cycling time was 7hrs 25 mins with 35 mins total for stops. I was ultra cautious on the descents, so lost time there, although there was a long, wide, straight and deceptively steep section between Adrigole and Glengarriff on the way back where I lost the run of myself and clocked 70km/hr (42mph) at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

This was my second sportive so I was happy out to complete the 85km route, weather was also poor on my first sportive. Huge thanks to the numerous volunteers who spent hours standing in the cold and wet. On that spin steep section between Adrigole and Glengarriff I clocked 72 km/hr, fastest I've clocked to date. Lots of photos up on the Cork Sports Partnership Facebook page.

Advertisement