Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite take-away meal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If I'm going for Indian it's an aloo tiki starter and a side portion of tarka daal and garlic naan

Chinese, tofu in green pepper and black bean sauce with fried noodles. However we've recently moved and the local Chinese doesn't do tofu doesn't do black bean sauce and their noodles are awful fat soggy yokes.

There is a van that sells the nicest chips in the world world though, if going there just the bag, salt and vinegar and batch with real butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Well....it was breast n a bun.....may have to rethink a gluten free version of that : (

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Chicken Rogan Josh with Pilau Rice

Me too, and it should be oily and spicy! When it comes to Indian breads though, I like wholemeal roti, over the white flour nan type breads, which a lot of takeaways don't do :(

I like to keep some of the frozen wholemeal stuffed paratha on standby in my freezer; Indian/Pakistani stores sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Chicken tikka masala with a keema naan

+1 simple but can't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Have to go now or they'll be closed......and i've a fierce longing on me.

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Have to go now or they'll be closed......and i've a fierce longing on me.

I know, right? Making me hungry too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

dominos pepperoni with chicken strips and barbecue sauce. Ben and jerry's chocolate chip and a can of coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hot and sour soup from the place in Shankill that closed a few months ago coz of mice and will probably reopen under a new name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A plain cheeseburger and chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

When I'm feeling flash I'll order a chicken chow mein from a particular Chinese takeaway in town, delicious saucey chicken with the right amount of crunch in the vegetables and not overdone (hate that)...sometimes I'll have chicken balls and curry sauce with it too if I'm starving.

Or if I'm after something cheaper, I do love a lunch box from my fave chipper. (3 pieces of chicken and chips) Everybody has a chipper that's their chipper and the chips and and the other grub in general isn't the same anywhere else. If this place ever closed down I'd cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Handed out through a hatch. Spot on. You can't see how your order of crap is made up. Just as well. Food for drunks.

I've been in 5☆ hotels where I couldn't see how the food was being prepared too btw.

Anyway for me, Chinese is mostly sugary syrupy gloop that mostly tastes the same bar a few tweaks here and there.

For me the ultimate guilty pleasure would be lamb stuffed samosa, but the Punjabi version which is made from a dough rather than that filo pastry crap. Chicken Saag - which is cubed chicken cooked in a spicy minty tomatoe based sauce with spinach, and pilau rice.

I can take or leave naan bread, but if I'm having naan, either GOC or Keema.

Ice cold beer to wash it down with.

Warning though, next days farts are eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Smoked Cod, batter sausage, chips, curry sauce
    General Tso Chicken, fried rice, half port chicken balls, chips

maybe once or twice a month- trying to keep off the 6st I lost since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

maybe once or twice a month- trying to keep off the 6st I lost since 2016

Your sh1te probably weighs 6 stone after that feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Here comes the 3pm two for Tuesdays Domino's.

Classic thick crust Pepperoni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Those places are absolutely vile, I literally wouldn't be caught dead eating any of their disgusting slop.

The takeaway menu is the suicide note of the morbidly obese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I like Chinese, yuk sung and prawn toast or chicken fried rice and stir fried veg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Is it me or have Chineses gone to ****e? Can't remember the last time I enjoyed one. MSG riddled spice bags in particular leave me feeling lethargic and groggy.

They were always crap (with some exceptions), the only difference is that the competition around them got a lot better.

Most use big tubs of crap for their sauces and don't even make genuine Chinese food largely because when they first popped up customers just wouldn't touch that stuff. It might long since tine for them to rethink hat though by now, though I reckon on average their best sellers are still 3 in 1s, chicken breast and chips, and spice bags. In which case maybe not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Billy86 wrote: »
    their best sellers are still 3 in 1s, chicken breast and chips, and spice bags. In which case maybe not...

And long it may continue, yes there's bad takeaways but a good takeaway tastes better than eating all healthy food... unfortunately

Greyfox wrote: »
    And long it may continue, yes there's bad takeaways but a good takeaway tastes better than eating all healthy food... unfortunately
    You should buy a cookbook and learn how to cook your own food. Much better than eating the slurry you'll get in McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Indian from Tulsi (Ennis restaurant) as a treat, but only a few times a year.
    A main of Vegetable Patala, side of Saag Aloo, and a side of Chana Masala, garlic naan and pilau rice..
    Yum..lasts a few days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You should buy a cookbook and learn how to cook your own food. Much better than eating the slurry you'll get in McDonalds.

Ah the whole chopping veg is too time consuming. Its true that if you learn to cook food properly it makes a world of a difference and some things like salmon taste lovely and is easy to cook... but a spice bag with curry sauce is absolute heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Is it me or have Chineses gone to ****e? Can't remember the last time I enjoyed one. MSG riddled spice bags in particular leave me feeling lethargic and groggy.

Most of them have although there is one local to me that you feel ok after and there is an even better one thats MSG free a bit away that you feel totally grand after. Both a bit too far for delivery though.

Theres a thai place I eat IN but its too far from me to get delivered, but the food is YUMMY. And clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Those places are absolutely vile, I literally wouldn't be caught dead eating any of their disgusting slop.

Why do people like this wade into these threads? Good for you, you don't eat takeaway, you're obviously better than everyone else here, good job.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Why do people like this wade into these threads? Good for you, you don't eat takeaway, you're obviously better than everyone else here, good job.

I guess it's like when a fan of easy listening classics walks into a metaler's bar, rocks right up to a couple discussing their fave metal bands, and blurts out to them "How do you people listen to this ****?!".

Ya know, as people do.

I would never offer that opinion in a restaurant so your analogy is flawed from the outset.

I would gladly offer that same opinion on a bulletin board, they are typically used for the free exchange of ideas and debate.

Anyway, carry on. If you want to poison yourself with that ****e, be my guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Love a little poison now and again meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I would never offer that opinion in a restaurant so your analogy is flawed from the outset.

I would gladly offer that same opinion on a bulletin board, they are typically used for the free exchange of ideas and debate.

Once again, I hope you're having fun feeling superior. In the grand scheme, a few takeaways every now and then won't do anybody any harm. A lot of people do eat this sort of food regularly though I suppose, and that may very well give you some issues down the line.

I'm more into cooking and not much of a takeaway-getter myself as it happens, what do you like to cook for yourself when you fancy a treat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Why do people like this wade into these threads?

Attention, it's always attention. They can't get any by being cool, funny, or interesting so they make do with whatever scraps of attention they can scrounge by being annoying, shocking, or rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ribs
    whether from a take away, restaurant or cooked at home I cannot get enough.

Once again, I hope you're having fun feeling superior. In the grand scheme, a few takeaways every now and then won't do anybody any harm. A lot of people do eat this sort of food regularly though I suppose, and that may very give you some issues down the line.

I'm more into cooking and not much of a takeaway-getter myself as it happens, what do you like to cook for yourself when you fancy a treat?
    I'm partial to a Spanish omelette. I grow my own potatoes and onions and I keep my own chickens in the yard. Much better than the store bought stuff, never mind that puke you'd order from a takeaway.

• Advertisement

So you wouldn't say it to their face, is what you're trying to say.

I'm off to the gym anyway, trying to up from 3 visits a week to 5 at the moment because frankly while I'm in good shape my girlfriend is in far, far better condition than I am (she's kind of an athletic freak). And guess what? Both of us like the occasional Thai or Indian takeaway, or (shock!) even a drunken chipper now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm partial to a Spanish omelette. I grow my own potatoes and onions and I keep my own chickens in the yard. Much better than the store bought stuff, never mind that puke you'd order from a takeaway.

Yeah cool, you done yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

stop stealing AvonB's schtick

Billy86 wrote: »
    So you wouldn't say it to their face, is what you're trying to say.

I'm off to the gym anyway, trying to up from 3 visits a week to 5 at the moment because frankly while I'm in good shape my girlfriend is in far, far better condition than I am (she's kind of an athletic freak). And guess what? Both of us like the occasional Thai or Indian takeaway, or (shock!) even a drunken chipper now and then.
    I don't really care what you and your girlfriend are getting up to, and I'd suggest you work on developing a bit of a thicker skin at that gym of yours. I'm speaking from my personal opinion about takeaways, you don't need to take it as a slight upon yourself.

I don't really care what you and your girlfriend are getting up to, and I'd suggest you work on developing a bit of a thicker skin at that gym of yours. I'm speaking from my personal opinion about takeaways, you don't need to take it as a slight upon yourself.
    Sorry to break it to you that your "morbidly obese" opinion was as full of sh*te as you are, but try not to take it so hard in future ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

If It meant not dying of a heart attack, I'd live on Spanish tortilla. Especially with onions and peppers added in. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We definitely should have done a 'food snob, loike' bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Pizza!

Don't have many take outs but when I do... bacon double cheeseburger XL and large fries and a side of onion rings. Please.

• Advertisement

Of course you literally will never be caught dead eating anything, will you?

Also, judgy. Very judgy. But not judgy enough to ruin my enjoyment of the occasional burger and fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Pizza, must be pizza... with plenty of wine..... Its been quite a while ... may fix that at the weekend !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Pizza. Every time. Dont get it more than once or twice a year due to cost but when i do its yum.

Woukdnt mind chinese either but pizza will always win:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It used to be a snack box, with two breasts. You pay a little extra for the second breast, but god damn it's worth it. I sometimes wonder why it doesn't come with two breasts automatically. In fact, does anyone even like the other bits, the drumstick, whatever bit of the chicken that is, and the leg?

With the drumstick you're eating a lot of grease, a lot of batter/breadcrumbs and a lot of tendons, but there's very little chicken isn't there? Don't get me started on that other piece, the piece only good for the skin, and once you take it off and eat it you lose your appetite because you realise 'white meat' isn't quite accurate, because it's not white. It's dirty white. It's traveller white. And fair balls to KFC here because they've managed to make you think all the pieces are as succulent as the rest, but they're not.

The only piece worth it's weight is the breast. Don't get me wrong, I realise some breasts are far from perfect, and some patently shouldn't have been fried at all, but I find the success rate on a breast is far higher than any other piece. It's the only piece that you can devour really if we're honest here.

The brown meat is ALL I want. :confused: It’s the most succulent part! If there’s a choice, I don’t order breast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

lamb jalfrezi extra hot with extra popadoms garlic naan and jasmine rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The brown meat is ALL I want. :confused: It’s the most succulent part! If there’s a choice, I don’t order breast.

It's the nicer meat but each piece is 80% bone and gristle and 20% meat. I'd rather get the value of the breast which normally only has the half wishbone left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Serena Williams thighs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pizza is not a meal in a million years.
    It's the kind of thing I'd eat while I'd be waiting on my dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A lamb saag with mushroom pilau rice is divine. You'll be ****eing green spinach coloured lava the next day though.

Also a smoked cod and proper chipper chips with beans and curry sauce, utterly beautiful.

I'm not a fan of Chinese slop myself but now and again I would go for a house special curry with chips and fried rice. Sometimes I'd get a veggie curry with chicken balls, chips and rice.

I'm also quite partial to a chicken breast kebab from my local Italian chipper with chips smothered in ketchup. Yum :)

A mixed diner/shawarma kebab from Turkmaz near the market in Limerick after a few beers always goes down well but I can feel the effects of it the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What is a spice bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ipso wrote: »
    What is a spice bag?

Chips with chicken goujons, onion, pepper all coated in an MSG laden spice mix. I prefer to call it a Heartburn Bag

• Advertisement
Advertisement