Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would HR know if I am being managed out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just to throw in here- lots of big companies neglect the yearly performance chat and even more so the longer you are there. Being a large company and regulated heavily doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be monitored closely. It all boils down to culture.

Very true.
    But managers handing out bad reviews are pure fools if they don’t have a water tight paper trail, I would always have documented meetings with people getting a bad review.
    Sets the stage of what is coming and of course opportunities to improve before year end.

You can’t just spring anbad review on someone not telling them during the year that they are heading towards it.

That is a slam dunk at being overturned and so undermines the credibility of the manager if their decisions are being overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, as others have stated, don't go to HR but please do schedule a meeting with your manager asking to discuss your performance and "how you're getting on" I've done same with my manager on an ad hoc basis and they've also initiated same with me periodically. You can then use the opportunity either immediately or after you've discussed recent accomplishments, challenges with others or tasks etc, the topic of whether there is any issue between the two of you. Be honest and admit you sense a chill between the two of you and would like to understand where it stemmed from. You can ask them to prove that there is no such issue from their side or else they may explain if there is indeed an issue. You should outline your observations from witnessing your colleagues getting repeated praise but note you never do. Ask for the reason why, even if the answer may not be favorable to you. Finally if you need to, ask why you weren't invited to the social do if you feel you definitely should've been. No decent manager would exclude an individual team member that way unless it was an honest oversight. Give them the chance to explain even if it shames them into acknowledging it was a poor move on their part.

I've had ongoing tensions immediately evaporate from these meetings previously as I and my manager aired our grievances and realised often that it was down to misunderstandings. Sometimes it was down to different styles of work and communications and once we both laid out where we were coming from, we were able to acknowledge and respect our differing viewpoints.

OP, please don't let this fester on unnecessarily by not approaching your manager. If they haven't picked up on or approached you about this, they may very well not be a competent manager but why don't you take the initiative and be the bigger person here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bilbot79 wrote: »
    HR are there to make sure that the company can successfully manage people out without getting sued.

And also protect the company from legal action by current employees - which often means they'll give a line manager a bollocking behind the scenes if the HR person is doing their job properly, and the manager isn't.

Advertisement