Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Of course the people at the top table will be paid .
    Out of our taxpayers money of course .
    While the volunteers .... Ah ya the volunteers ... The modern day cannon fodder who do the work for nothing , while the top table bury their snouts in the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Of course the people at the top table will be paid .
    Out of our taxpayers money of course .
    While the volunteers .... Ah ya the volunteers ... The modern day cannon fodder who do the work for nothing , while the top table bury their snouts in the trough.

nyom nyom nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What's the plan for Feb 8th down the swamp? Think i'll don the wetsuit... I can roll around in the muck

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

It doesn't have volunteers, it has Wave Makers representing a positive disruptive energy and bringing about change!

I wonder if it's sourcing of wave Makers is any more successful than it's efforts at sourcing sponsorship.

lion_bar wrote: »
    It doesn't have volunteers, it has Wave Makers representing a positive disruptive energy and bringing about change!

I wonder if it's sourcing of wave Makers is any more successful than it's efforts at sourcing sponsorship.

slave labour wavemakers lol

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What's the plan for Feb 8th down the swamp? Think i'll don the wetsuit... I can roll around in the muck

the beginning of an 11 month car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm doing a project in the county (I run a community Arts group) and the two most heart breaking things of all are...

1) Galway County Council has 'zero' rates on empty properties so there'll be no sign of rejuvination we had hoped for, if businesses are expected to pay and property hoarders sit back and see what happens

and

2) We just got this years insurance quote and it's jumped 9 fold.... I could cry. It could be insurance premiums that beat us!!

The highlights of 2020 for me will be the 2 weeks of the " arts festival and the June bank holiday weekend gig at galway airport...... O hold on they were both on anyway .
    Did the 2020 organisers ( I personally would call them chancers ) approach the arts festival / galway airport gigs and say .... " let us put ye on as part of our programme and ye will get free advertisement for your projects ".
    Will we ever know ?

The highlights of 2020 for me will be the 2 weeks of the " arts festival and the June bank holiday weekend gig at galway airport...... O hold on they were both on anyway .
    Did the 2020 organisers ( I personally would call them chancers ) approach the arts festival / galway airport gigs and say .... " let us put ye on as part of our programme and ye will get free advertisement for your projects ".
    Will we ever know ?

The Arts Festival most certianly are part of it yes. Every festival was approached about it (even our local food festival). That side of things they were very much on top of. You'll see it in their promo videos, even Druid are back in doing a gig. All the corporate backing selling 'brand Ireland' is to the fore...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na63PVAyAXc

But a lot of us, who are the creative workers trying to pull projects together, we are weary of the shrinking budgets and the broken promises from Local Authorities....

So every festival that was already running in galway was approached to be part of the "2020 " year long festival ???
    Ready you couldn't make this **** up .
    What we are going to get is festivals that were already on and throw in a grand opening ( if weather permits ... Or it's cancelled ) and a few poxy side shows .
    Is it any wounder the lad that was involved in the opening of the London Olympics ran away from this faster than usain bolt .

• Advertisement

So every festival that was already running in galway was approached to be part of the "2020 " year long festival ???
    What we are going to get is festivals that were already on and throw in a grand opening ( if weather permits ... Or it's cancelled ) and a few poxy side shows .
    Is it any wounder the lad that was involved in the opening of the London Olympics ran away from this faster than usain bolt .

The 2020 project knew it wasn't going to be a 'festival' itself, but you have to have everyone on board so yes they would be part of it. So certian projects have different organisations & festivals co-producing because you can canteliever something off their insurance etc. so that's how that works. I'm co-producing with another organisation myself.

As for the Lad who ran away.... I'm guessing you're talking about Chris Baldwin? The former creative director? I'm under the impression, the former CEO made things tricky for lots of people, but there might have been a personal reason. I'm very aware lots of Galway creative expertise is not involved because they were either not invited to take part, or when they did apply, just didn't make the cut. We've some folk who are world class, but I still feel we have an inferiority complex in Ireland & Galway about 'our own'.

I'd would say the suits don't trust the creatives.... again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If they ignored all the locally run events and festivals you'd be whingeing that they weren't included, they can't win really.

If they ignored all the locally run events and festivals you'd be whingeing that they weren't included, they can't win really.

while they were at it they should have included the galway races in their festival .... Chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

while they were at it they should have included the galway races in their festival .... Chancers

Not forgetting the Oyster Festival as well

I'm sure they asked, Race committee were probably happy as they are.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not forgetting the Oyster Festival as well

To right Storm ... They could have got 2 extra festivals ... Clarinbridge and galway city oyster festivals ....

The long term forecast for next Saturday is woeful .
    Storm is forecast for galway bay and all along west coast .
    Wouldn't be surprised if the launch is cancelled .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Two big towers constructed down at South Park with cabling between them. Loads of barriers all over the place. Very difficult to find any details but they seemed to be working to a plan. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They should really have it in renmore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

They should really have it in renmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Two big towers constructed down at South Park with cabling between them. Loads of barriers all over the place. Very difficult to find any details but they seemed to be working to a plan. :)

Surely not more high wire antics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Surely not more high wire antics?

Must be..going by the latest interview with the guy organising it, he says it doesn't matter where you're standing, you'll have a clear view..

They've released more information this eve..no buggies allowed, I'm sure it will put a lot of families off https://galway2020.ie/en/opening-ceremony-faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Isn't it great.
    Host the opener atop town dump with scenic views of the sewage treatment plant, exposed to near gale force winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

They've released more information this eve..no buggies allowed, I'm sure it will put a lot of families off

It's not no buggies allowed, they advise against buggies.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    It's not no buggies allowed, they advise against buggies.

Anyone with half a brain would surely know not to bring a buggie onto the Swamp in February!!!

We advise you to travel light leaving large bags, umbrellas, pets and buggies at home.
    We advise you not to bring large bags bigger than A4 as you may not be admitted with the bag.

zell12 wrote: »
    We advise you to travel light leaving large bags, umbrellas, pets and buggies at home.
    We advise you not to bring large bags bigger than A4 as you may not be admitted with the bag.

Banning umbrellas in February in the swamp are they for real, do they expect families with small children to be carried on people's backs it's a joke .

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Banning umbrellas in February in the swamp are they for real, do they expect families with small children to be carried on people's backs it's a joke .

Sure won't Daddy be a farmer / construction worker. No problem to him.

Forecast for next weekend looking pretty bad for an event in the South Park whoever decided on this venue should be fired

• Advertisement

Just a biteen of wind and a scoop of rain
    HNu2Dpf.jpg?1

Advertisement