Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Forecast for next weekend looking pretty bad for an event in the South Park whoever decided on this venue should be fired

South Park has been the venue for a huge amount of public events. It has a power source and hard stand near it. I can see by the thread here that there are a lot of hurlers on the ditch with plenty to say about how awful it's all going to be, however...

1) It had to be at this time of year, for the opening, and in fairness, they did kick it down the road a bit
    2) it had to be in the city centre so as to be accessible by public transport to most of the county. And yes, more public transport has been put on for it.
    3) It had to have a capacity for the largest audience (50k) that one place in Galway city could accommodate. The swamp has been used for years, it's not a new venue for these kind of things.
    4) It had to be outdoors. Galway always has ****e weather, we can never ever get around that, so an element of 2020 is a project is called 'hope it rains' which basically explores the fact that.... it's always bloomin raining!! So this is honestly designed for folk to get on their wellies and ……. lol, suffer it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pyrotechnics does mean fireworks, right ?:)

They'd be nice viewed from lots of locations around the city rather than being stuck in the swamp so it'll be enjoyable for people who can't attend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway preparing for a space launch
    aWCs4wo.jpg

Dunno if I should post this, but the headliner at the Athenry 2020 opening ceremony is Rofi James..... doing a few gigs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Greaney wrote: »
    South Park has been the venue for a huge amount of public events. It has a power source and hard stand near it. I can see by the thread here that there are a lot of hurlers on the ditch with plenty to say about how awful it's all going to be, however...

1) It had to be at this time of year, for the opening, and in fairness, they did kick it down the road a bit
    2) it had to be in the city centre so as to be accessible by public transport to most of the county. And yes, more public transport has been put on for it.
    3) It had to have a capacity for the largest audience (50k) that one place in Galway city could accommodate. The swamp has been used for years, it's not a new venue for these kind of things.
    4) It had to be outdoors. Galway always has ****e weather, we can never ever get around that, so an element of 2020 is a project is called 'hope it rains' which basically explores the fact that.... it's always bloomin raining!! So this is honestly designed for folk to get on their wellies and ……. lol, suffer it!

2. Racecourse, accessible from everywhere and beyond

3. Racecourse, easily has the capacity and some

4. Racecourse, even with the element it has shelter and it won’t turn into a mud fest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The weather forecast is looking very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Greaney wrote: »
    Dunno if I should post this, but the headliner at the Athenry 2020 opening ceremony is Rofi James..... doing a few gigs...

feckin hell!! Rofi James? :)

2. Racecourse, accessible from everywhere and beyond

3. Racecourse, easily has the capacity and some

4. Racecourse, even with the element it has shelter and it won’t turn into a mud fest

I understand what you're saying but I think there may have been other reasons...

Racecourse doesn't have as much public transport access (two journeys on public transport if your coming from the county, all buses & trains lead to city centre). This issue came up at information meetings in the county. There was talk of extra public transport capacity being put on for the night.

Racecourse is not near the sea ( Our fire works displays in the city are usually over the bay, for a lot of reasons like safety, and noise). I believe an element of the opening relates to our sea faring culture and is supposed to be seen from Clare. There was talk of bonefires along the Clare coast

Racecourse is private property. That would make it a budget issue. I cannot imagine they would allow much without their own paid staff from the racecourse to man it and it just might be too much of a palaver with the volunteer (wave makers) staff etc.

You have made me wonder why we don't use the racecourse for more gigs and events.... All I can think of is Christmas Park 'n ride, and Elf town. I've googled it and all the events there seem very corporate. Wasn't there a story about a big Rock Festival there (goodness, over 20 or 30 years ago) and it made a loss? Christy Moore played there or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Discodog wrote: »
    The weather forecast is looking very bad.

Looking very bad indeed. High winds and rain. Nightmare scenario. Was always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, the Clifden launch on Sunday worked out well. The general consensus by the locals is that about a thousand people turned up. There were a lot of strangers around but many of them could have been on junkets. More locals would have come except the weather turned bad about an hour and a half before it was about to begin.
    The crews (paid) did an excellent job but some of them had to be redeployed to chase flying bollards as the wind picked up at just the wrong time.
    I didn't get the name of the cleaning company involved but they were brilliant. They were constantly moving throughout the ceremony and picking up anything that was on the ground. Even an hour after everything had finished they were going around with flashlamps picking up cigarette butts from between the cracks in the pavement/cobblestones etc by hand. I've never seen the town as clean as it was by the time they finished. Apparently they are the cleaning company for the whole event. They didn't even know where they were moving to the next day.
    Overall it was nice to have something different for the locals in our quietest month of the year but it didn't do anything much for the town's economy except for a couple of places beside where the event took place (the weather helped with that).
    Hopefully the county won't be forgotten once the opening ceremonies are over with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

In bold on the city council page regarding the road closures is...

"In the event of bad weather on the 8th February, the Opening Ceremony may be postponed until Sunday, 9th February, 2020. If the conditions have not improved on the Sunday morning, the event may be cancelled."

Current weather forecast...
    Saturday - "Strong winds and hail showers"
    Sunday - "Gales and heavy rain"

Not looking great lads! Feel sorry for all the volunteers and workers preparing the site and the months of preparation.

Running an open air event in February and expecting 50,000 was very optimistic.

They should have kicked off the year with a smaller event in Eyre Square, similar to the launch event but with fireworks at the end... then launch into a flurry of indoor or short outdoor events across the city and county, nightly for 1-2 weeks. Like a mini arts festival in January.

The timing is crazy. Most of Europe is freezing this time of year. It should run June to June. Spiddal managed their's in between hail showers. But it wasn't a night to be outdoors.

Tues, Wed, Thurs are all going to be dry relatively calm days.
    Ideal weather for fireworks and outdoor fun.

Let me see if I have this straight because according to this thread.....

- the organisers are idiots for not doing something on New Year's Eve/Day and
    - the organisers are idiots for doing something in Feb and
    - the organisers are idiots for doing something outside
    - the organisers are idiots for not using the race course instead cos it's more accessible than the city (the mind boggles at this one)

Oh and all of the above according to the prophet Ashleigh

Ye lot are worse than a meeting of the city Council

Limerick2020 would've been better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

zell12 wrote: »

Kilkenny Waterford Carlow would have been better. I know Galway would love to be the home of outdoor street theatre but it just doesn't have the climate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    In bold on the city council page regarding the road closures is...

"In the event of bad weather on the 8th February, the Opening Ceremony may be postponed until Sunday, 9th February, 2020. If the conditions have not improved on the Sunday morning, the event may be cancelled."

Current weather forecast...
    Saturday - "Strong winds and hail showers"
    Sunday - "Gales and heavy rain"

Not looking great lads! Feel sorry for all the volunteers and workers preparing the site and the months of preparation.

According to Met Eireann we could be looking at a Storm on Sunday also check out boards weather section for updates

- the organisers are idiots for not using the race course instead cos it's more accessible than the city (the mind boggles at this one)

It's a discussion forum DaCor, we're busy solving the world's problems here.

zell12 wrote: »

I dunno man, I knew those who 'walked' when it was national capital of culture (which was not bid for and was to prep them to get the European one, the 'politics' backed Limerick). I know that a lot of cities go through this crap when they finally win the bid (the suits never trust the 'creatives'), it gets very political. That's a pity because Galways bid process was very authentic.

And finally, the bid was Limericks & three sisters first time bidding, but it wasn't Galways.... They lost to Cork before. So Galway would be trying to bid for a third time, next time round...

• Advertisement

Actually all of those are very valid points.

Outside, next to the sea, no shelter whatsoever & in February is taking a huge risk. There is no weather synopsis that would provide ideal conditions.

Your mind may boggle but the facts are that the racecourse would be a way better venue in respect of onsite facilities, shelter & hard standing. South park is the most unsheltered spot possible.

I'll add one more. The decision to erect high towers is insane. They alone will close the site due to wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's called having foresight Dacor .
    This whole project has from the very start been mismanaged .
    Hosting an outdoor event in February in a place called " the swamp ".
    I see from their website that have included " the Christmas market " as part of the " 2020 " .
    That joins the arts festival ,
    The music festival at galway airport and other festivals that are already been part of galway .
    Talk about filling up your programme with already existing projects .
    Rates for businesses have gone up this year .
    2 million of it will go to finance this mismanaged project .
    Than again .... It's joins the now long list of galway xxxx ups .
    The eyre square development fiasco .
    The cobble stones on shop street .
    Pallas cinema .
    Volvo ocean race part 2 .
    As with the above only when it's over will we may find out the level of xxxx up .

I wonder what the Health & Safety maximum wind speed is for those towers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

f2ca6656-d84a-4f6f-8b6a-2e44323eb783.jpg

It's looking increasingly likely that Storm Ciara will land Saturday and "could bring winds in excess of 120km/h to the west" according to Weather Alerts Ireland.

Time to dust off the Child of Prague! Fingers crossed it changes direction or dissipates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What about the Grass??????

What about the Grass??????

cop onto yourself, huge difference between the swamp and the centre of the city having its green area ruined well into summer because of a ****ty "Christmas" market

It's called having foresight Dacor .
    This whole project has from the very start been mismanaged .
    Hosting an outdoor event in February in a place called " the swamp ".
    I see from their website that have included " the Christmas market " as part of the " 2020 " .
    That joins the arts festival ,
    The music festival at galway airport and other festivals that are already been part of galway .
    Talk about filling up your programme with already existing projects .
    Rates for businesses have gone up this year .
    2 million of it will go to finance this mismanaged project .
    Than again .... It's joins the now long list of galway xxxx ups .
    The eyre square development fiasco .
    The cobble stones on shop street .
    Pallas cinema .
    Volvo ocean race part 2 .
    As with the above only when it's over will we may find out the level of xxxx up .

this whole year could be building up to be a 365 day car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

pure.conya wrote: »
    cop onto yourself, huge difference between the swamp and the centre of the city having its green area ruined well into summer because of a ****ty "Christmas" market

But I want to be able to sit on the swamp looking out at the sea during the summer. That's going to be ruined now

• Advertisement

But I want to be able to sit on the swamp looking out at the sea during the summer. That's going to be ruined now
    South Park is a historical rubbish dumping site before 1970s.
    The pollution sources included municipal waste, hospital waste and industrial waste. :):)

Advertisement