Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Saw a huge amount of activity in South Park this morning. Two big towers erected. Not sure if they're for a tent or for the fireworks. Looks like it will be an impressive setup. Pity about the weather forecast. Lovely out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

But I want to be able to sit on the swamp looking out at the sea during the summer. That's going to be ruined now

you're not a bit funny, most people can tell the difference between the swamp being wrecked because its a swamp that used to be a dump, compared to the beautiful green grass area we have in the centre of the city that all tourists and day trippers pass through or get to sit down and enjoy, but by all means keep on making a fool of yourself by trying to compare the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Openside11

zell12 wrote: »
    South Park is a historical rubbish dumping site before 1970s.
    The pollution sources included municipal waste, hospital waste and industrial waste. :):)

I played rugby in the swamp for years with the Jes. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Openside11 wrote: »

Did ye win much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Openside11 wrote: »

Did ye win much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

pure.conya wrote: »
    the beautiful green grass area we have in the centre of the city
    Ah now, let's not exaggerate too wildly..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The pollution sources included municipal waste, hospital waste and industrial waste. :):)

Eyre Square is a historical Market place that had grass on it for the grazing of livestock at said market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yeah I heard a few years ago that the Swamp was completely toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Likely that the event will be cancelled. 50 km per hour wind & rain on Saturday. Looks worse for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Discodog wrote: »
    Likely that the event will be cancelled. 50 km per hour wind & rain on Saturday. Looks worse for Sunday.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058051890/1/#post112459877

You may be quite right Discodog. And that is such a pity, because despite all the negativity about this event in a lot of places, I would still like to see the event show off our city in a good light.
    I really hope an early call is made on this and that Salthill car parks and the prom are closed off early, as they anticipated crowds will still try park there if they think the event is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

High tide in Galway is around 5pm so if the wind is stormy people would be parking up at that time so as mentioned an early call to go or cancel would be required, the only thing I would say is having acrobatics on high wire near the sea in Winter is stupid given what we het in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Eyre Square is a historical Market place that had grass on it for the grazing of livestock at said market

yes, but it was never a recent dump and is now a feature of the centre of our city that's enjoyed by young and old, locals and tourists from the first warm sunny day to the last, where as the swamp...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

yes, but it was never a recent dump and is now a feature of the centre of our city that's enjoyed by young and old, locals and tourists from the first warm sunny day to the last, where as the swamp...

Eyre Square's capacity isn't big enough. When 2020 went to do the program launch they were limited in their numbers. I'm trying to remember the exact amount but it was something silly like 5k. Tuam had 2.5 k on Tuesday night so clearly Galway is going to be well over 10 times that. They have capacity in South Park for 50k. Taking into account Public transport needs for the night and the history of events in South Park, I imagine they were left with no other choice. When you organise outdoor events (and I have), you have to plan and pick dates well in advance so it's always a gamble.

It's bad luck if the storm hits on Saturday, because at least three of the six county towns are having exeptionally lovely weather for the opening. I wasn't at Ballinasloe, but Tuam was a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

Greaney wrote: »
    Eyre Square's capacity isn't big enough. When 2020 went to do the program launch they were limited in their numbers. I'm trying to remember the exact amount but it was something silly like 5k. Tuam had 2.5 k on Tuesday night so clearly Galway is going to be well over 10 times that. They have capacity in South Park for 50k. Taking into account Public transport needs for the night and the history of events in South Park, I imagine they were left with no other choice. When you organise outdoor events (and I have), you have to plan and pick dates well in advance so it's always a gamble.

It's bad luck if the storm hits on Saturday, because at least three of the six county towns are having exeptionally lovely weather for the opening. I wasn't at Ballinasloe, but Tuam was a dream...

Can they move it for the following week?

skinny90 wrote: »
    Can they move it for the following week?

I've heard two 'plan b's, Sunday and Tuesday. They have to take it one day at a time. Tonight is Portumna (weather looks like it'll be perfect again), then Athenry, where it may rain, but perhaps not stormy. I hope it won't rain too much, the transport links to Athenry are really good and we (Athenry) get the feeling that if the weather stays good, the crowds will be terrific. It says it might rain after 6pm though.:o

I've heard two 'plan b's, Sunday and Tuesday. They have to take it one day at a time. Tonight is Portumna (weather looks like it'll be perfect again), then Athenry, where it may rain, but perhaps not stormy. I hope it won't rain too much, the transport links to Athenry are really good and we (Athenry) get the feeling that if the weather stays good, the crowds will be terrific. It says it might rain after 6pm though.:o

Sunday is a definite no go. The Yellow warning is for both days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I've heard two 'plan b's, Sunday and Tuesday.

Well Sunday is to be even worse than Saturday and the rough weather is to drag well into next week. Hopefully they can push it out a week or so.

Can't believe that they have called the event in the swamp "Hope it rains" what the f..k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Can't believe that they have called the event in the swamp "Hope it rains" what the f..k

the mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Played football in the swamp. It was damp down there even when the weather was dry. Throw high winds and rain on top of it and 1000's of people and it will quickly turn into a literal swamp.

An awful pity as the weather has been dry and calm all week but it's always a lottery.

• Advertisement

They didn't. It's called, 'The Opening Ceremony'

They didn't. It's called, 'The Opening Ceremony'

Read link it's called what I posted ref City Truibune

https://connachttribune.ie/great-balls-of-fire-signal-start-of-galway-2020-2020/

I would expect them to announce that it's cancelled tomorrow. The forecast is now worse with rain arriving earlier. There's a Yellow warning for the whole weekend with rain & high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Seriously with the election it was already a shame they didn't move it. Not fair on people outside of Galway who might be travelling Friday and miss their vote.

Current forecast looks horrendous now with the storm pushing in earlier as usual. i'm showing 22.8mm rain and gusts of 54mph on Sat and 26.6mm / 72mph for Sun.

I hope they push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ditto the swamp. Clearly you've never been out there. Loads of people playing in the playground, walking/cycling along the track, matches being played on the pitches or people just relaxing enjoying the view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In town just a while ago, and they still seem to be running sound checks. Hmm. I suppose they will call it tomorrow.

Met Eireann forecast for Saturday and Sunday is the worst they could have, strong winds and heavy rain in the most exposed part of Galway and people not allowed to bring buggies or umbrellas good luck with that

Let us read what you wrote first..

The event in the Swamp is not called 'Hope it rains'. The article does not say the Opening Ceremony in South Park is called 'Hope it Rains'. There is a project in 2020 called 'Hope it rains' but it's not happening in South Park. The writer of the Article is linking the name of one project with the weather this weekend, it is an attempt at wit, not the title of the opening ceremony.

I don't know if you've every had to organise an outdoor event, but if you have, you'd know that the weather is always an issue. I'd be a pity if it was cancelled... we saw some of the Pyrotechnics today and they were pretty impressive... The town 'fire Tours' have been blessed with extra ordinary weather... you win some, you loose some... we'll see.

• Advertisement

Let us read what you wrote first..

The event in the Swamp is not called 'Hope it rains'. The article does not say the Opening Ceremony in South Park is called 'Hope it Rains'. There is a project in 2020 called 'Hope it rains' but it's not happening in South Park. The writer of the Article is linking the name of one project with the weather this weekend, it is an attempt at wit, not the title of the opening ceremony.

I don't know if you've every had to organise an outdoor event, but if you have, you'd know that the weather is always an issue. I'd be a pity if it was cancelled... we saw some of the Pyrotechnics today and they were pretty impressive... The town 'fire Tours' have been blessed with extra ordinary weather... you win some, you loose some... we'll see.

No one wants to see it cancelled let's hope for the best

Advertisement