Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Forecasts are looking particularly bad all weekend. You would have to feel for the organizers. Doesn't look like there is any way this can go ahead as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Greaney wrote: »
    Eyre Square's capacity isn't big enough. When 2020 went to do the program launch they were limited in their numbers. I'm trying to remember the exact amount but it was something silly like 5k. Tuam had 2.5 k on Tuesday night so clearly Galway is going to be well over 10 times that. They have capacity in South Park for 50k. Taking into account Public transport needs for the night and the history of events in South Park, I imagine they were left with no other choice. When you organise outdoor events (and I have), you have to plan and pick dates well in advance so it's always a gamble.

It's bad luck if the storm hits on Saturday, because at least three of the six county towns are having exeptionally lovely weather for the opening. I wasn't at Ballinasloe, but Tuam was a dream...

i know all about the capacity and the risks involved when organising outdoors events in Galway City centre, i was replying to your man trying to be funny about the damage to the grass down the swamp as if it compares to when the grass used to be totally ruined in Eyre Sq well into the summer months due to a crap Christmas market

Seriously with the election it was already a shame they didn't move it. Not fair on people outside of Galway who might be travelling Friday and miss their vote.

PMSL

Ditto the swamp. Clearly you've never been out there. Loads of people playing in the playground, walking/cycling along the track, matches being played on the pitches or people just relaxing enjoying the view

I'm a galway native, i know all about the swamp and how much its enjoyed by many, but it most definitely is not the centre of the city that is viewed and enjoyed by almost everybody that passes through the city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Seriously with the election it was already a shame they didn't move it. Not fair on people outside of Galway who might be travelling Friday and miss their vote.

Current forecast looks horrendous now with the storm pushing in earlier as usual. i'm showing 22.8mm rain and gusts of 54mph on Sat and 26.6mm / 72mph for Sun.

I hope they push it.

It goes to show just how much of an ignoramus lieo varadgar and his Dublin goons are announcing an election the day the launch for Galway 2020 was on.not a single fcuk given for the paddys in the west as usual.
    Easy spot the yes men among the crowds though backing a do nothing lieo.9 years and he hasn’t a tap done.
    Galway 2020 is years in the planning. The election is a last minute fcuk up job.
    I hope they get the weather for the Galway launch to go ahead and it’s an enjoyable day for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have sympathy for all the artists, volunteers etc. But I have no sympathy for the organisers.

This was a bad plan. Wrong time, wrong venue & wrong type of performance. If you are planning an event like this in February you have to have a wide contingency plan. They should of had a window of a minimum of five days, ideally seven.

This weather was predicted last weekend. The event could of been moved forward to Thursday with a guarantee of good weather. I just hope that they have good event insurance.

It needs to be cancelled now. Carrying on with the work is just wasting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It goes to show just how much of an ignoramus lieo varadgar and his Dublin goons are announcing an election the day the launch for Galway 2020 was on.not a single fcuk given for the paddys in the west as usual.
    Easy spot the yes men among the crowds though backing a do nothing lieo.9 years and he hasn’t a tap done.
    Galway 2020 is years in the planning. The election is a last minute fcuk up job.
    I hope they get the weather for the Galway launch to go ahead and it’s an enjoyable day for all involved.

Love yer rant:D, Yes, I hope the main storm doesn't hit till a few hours after we've stopped drumming. Truth is we're prepared to drum in the rain, (It'll be raining tonight in Athenry, but we're doing it anyway) we're even prepaired to postpone..... but we've just spotted that the City council are talking about cancelling altogether, and that would be very dissappointing for all of us around the county who volunteered.

We've been having a ball getting to know new friends and the friendly rivalry between towns has been great. Clusters have towns have drummed together (folk from Gort & Clarinbridge with Athenry, Headford & Dunmore with Tuam etc.) it really has been a joyful time with plenty of co-operation & car pooling. There are disabled participants in wheelchairs, adults with intellectual disabilities, folk from direct provission, etc., it's really been a joy and we've so wanted to share it with the city & county. So we'll keep going till we have to stop....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Love yer rant:D, Yes, I hope the main storm doesn't hit till a few hours after we've stopped drumming. Truth is we're prepared to drum in the rain, (It'll be raining tonight in Athenry, but we're doing it anyway) we're even prepaired to postpone..... but we've just spotted that the City council are talking about cancelling altogether, and that would be very dissappointing for all of us around the county who volunteered.

We've been having a ball getting to know new friends and the friendly rivalry between towns has been great. Clusters have towns have drummed together (folk from Gort & Clarinbridge with Athenry, Headford & Dunmore with Tuam etc.) it really has been a joyful time with plenty of co-operation & car pooling. There are disabled participants in wheelchairs, adults with intellectual disabilities, folk from direct provission, etc., it's really been a joy and we've so wanted to share it with the city & county. So we'll keep going till we have to stop....

Nice one. I wish ye well at it and hopefully it goes good for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Fair play for volunteering and from what ive heard, its been fantastic so far. I got a little preview last night down at the swamp and i really hope the storm stays away long enough for it to go ahead and they dont have to cancel the bird ;) even if it goes ahead, it looked cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Galway 2020 just replied to a question on Facebook asking it the event is still going ahead:

"Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture Hi, we are aware of the current weather predictions for Saturday and the event is scheduled to go ahead as planned."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Deluge of rain forecast in Galway Saturday 14:00-21:00
    High tide is 5m at 16:41 as well :o
    Met say:
    Saturday, 8th Feb: Southerly winds will strengthen during Saturday reaching mean speeds of 50-65km/h with gusts reaching 90-110km/h.
    A spell of heavy rain will spread eastwards across the country on Saturday with 20-40mm expected, highest in the west and northwest.
    The combination of Spring Tides and high seas as well as stormy conditions will result in an elevated risk of coastal flooding along western coasts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Paddy_man wrote: »
    Galway 2020 just replied to a question on Facebook asking it the event is still going ahead:

"Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture Hi, we are aware of the current weather predictions for Saturday and the event is scheduled to go ahead as planned."

unreal. 22mm rain am 9.9 mm rain pm. gusts of 70 to 100kph, a chance of thunder... fk it what could go wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Mental by them to still be going ahead with this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Taking some chance going ahead in the conditions forecast, could be personal injuries claims if anything came loose and hit someone or if someone fell into the Corrib.there are hundreds of barriers up that could blow over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mental by them to still be going ahead with this

They can't even delay it 24 hours as it'll be even worse on Sunday.

Wonder could have they brought it forward 24 hours to Friday evening? It'll probably be OK tonight. Presume not for whatever reason.

Wonder could have they brought it forward 24 hours to Friday evening? It'll probably be OK tonight. Presume not for whatever reason.

The wind speed is already way too high for fireworks. It's made worse by the wind direction.

You have to designate a fallout zone downwind of the site. A Northerly wind would allow fall out over the sea. This wind direction brings windfalls over population areas.

Those towers must have a wind rating.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Taking some chance going ahead in the conditions forecast, could be personal injuries claims if anything came loose and hit someone or if someone fell into the Corrib.there are hundreds of barriers up that could blow over.

Especially during an official ME warning.

Discodog wrote: »

It needs to be cancelled now. Carrying on with the work is just wasting money.

its grand, not their money

Pretty much.

An apt Dublin phrase they seem to be thinking here:

"Just a bit of fukcin' Luck"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

[HTML][/HTML]

The Athenry fire ceremony is tonight, Friday, so they couldn't have. The fire orbs were lit first in each town...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

pure.conya wrote: »
    i know all about the capacity and the risks involved when organising outdoors events in Galway City centre, i was replying to your man trying to be funny about the damage to the grass down the swamp as if it compares to when the grass used to be totally ruined in Eyre Sq well into the summer months due to a crap Christmas market

You brought Eyre Square into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This weather was predicted last weekend. The event could of been moved forward to Thursday with a guarantee of good weather. I just hope that they have good event insurance.

/QUOTE]

Ah now come on its not that easy to organise an event and then expect to advertise the date as "sometime in February" a date had to be put on it and clearly moving that date forward at short notice is a non runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

It's gone to an orange weather warning, as expected. They're leaving this very late to cancel...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The wind speed is already way too high for fireworks. It's made worse by the wind direction.

You have to designate a fallout zone downwind of the site. A Northerly wind would allow fall out over the sea. This wind direction brings windfalls over population areas.

Those towers must have a wind rating.

Yeah wind is already getting up even sooner than expected.

Official orange wind warning now for Donegal, Mayo and Galway.

Wind warning for Galway is for between 1pm to 6pm tomorrow. Seems like it will die down a bit in the evening then before picking up again overnight.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    It's gone to an orange weather warning, as expected. They're leaving this very late to cancel...

no they're not, this is typical of event organisers, remember last years music festival out in Carnmore last year

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No pressure, only tens of millions will be watching
    https://twitter.com/Failte_Ireland/status/1225793878827192321?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Letting off fireworks in a gale near a fuel depot is not a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

pure.conya wrote: »
    no they're not, this is typical of event organisers, remember last years music festival out in Carnmore last year

Another example that was even later doesn't make this not late...

According to GBFM they are meeting now to decide what to do.

It would be madness on a yellow warning, seriously negligent on an orange.

• Advertisement

/QUOTE]

Ah now come on its not that easy to organise an event and then expect to advertise the date as "sometime in February" a date had to be put on it and clearly moving that date forward at short notice is a non runner

Better than no event at all.

Advertisement