Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would You Work For Free?

• 10-09-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Dont rush to answer, but hear me out.

I have a theory that most people dont work at their jobs JUST because of the money. And its been said here many times, that good money does not always make for a good job. Most people like their job and the money just allows for you to live.

So, if ALL your bills & expenses were taken care of (mortgage, utilities, food, kids school, car insurance, the works!), would you stay at your current job and work for free? Or would you indulge your hobbies (all costs covered) or sit at home (free internet & sky) or in the pub (free drink & crisps)? Would you get bored?

Would you work for free 54 votes

No
    0%
    nee
    31%
    F1fanytpe2r5bxkn0c1GadgestateoffluxMcGrath5SCOOP 64Max MomentTable Top JoeMonkieSocksKen.OldMrBrennan83wakka12tupennycefh17Get up and goFann LinnEggs For Dinner 17 votes
    náo
    7%
    ytpe2r5bxkn0c1Ken.OldMrBrennan83cefh17 4 votes
    neit
    7%
    nein
    7%
    nahi
    16%
    ytpe2r5bxkn0c1IndestructableKen.GarITOldMrBrennan83cefh17NoveightTry_harderPretzeluck 9 votes
    votch
    7%
    lo
    7%
    hapana
    7%
    ma ho bu
    7%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

nee
    If you want to pay my bills I'll go golfing. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I have a theory that most people dont work at their jobs JUST because of the money. And its been said here many times, that good money does not always make for a good job. Most people like their job and the money just allows for you to live.

So, if ALL your bills & expenses were taken care of, would you stay at your current job and work for free? Or would you indulge your hobbies (all costs covered) or sit at home (free internet & sky) or in the pub (free drink & crisps)? Would you get bored?

I like my job, but there's no way in hell I'd do it for free, I know my worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

If there is no job satisfaction, no competition between you & others, no attempt to help or improve something.... then why do it? If its ONLY money .... does that make us esentially prostitutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

If there is no job satisfaction, no competition between you & others, no attempt to help or improve something.... then why do it? If its ONLY money .... does that make us esentially prostitutes?
    Yes
    Our labour is a commodity and we sell it usually to the highest bidder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

nahi
    Not a chance in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

ma ho bu

So, if ALL your bills & expenses were taken care of (mortgage, utilities, food, kids school, car insurance, the works!), would you stay at your current job and work for free? Or would you indulge your hobbies (all costs covered) or sit at home (free internet & sky) or in the pub (free drink & crisps)? Would you get bored?

I don't know where you get that from. I wouldn't go out the door if it weren't for the money and there's not a real job that would change that fact. 99% of people I know would be the same too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I worked for free, and it was work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

ma ho bu
    Poll added. Ten different ways to say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

One of my three jobs is music. I do that in my free time anyway. Paid gigs I only take if they’re interesting or if I like the people I’m playing with. So, yeah, I’d do that for nothing, but only if somebody else got paid. While I’d work for free, I don’t think the venue should get it for free.

My bread and butter job is teaching, and no, I wouldn’t continue that. I was asked that in a class once, during one of those times when the work is done and conversation happens. I was asked if I won the lottery, would I stay teaching? I told them I wouldn’t even finish the class. Much though I enjoy teaching, there’s other ways I’d rather spend my days. Nice pension though. Swings and roundabouts...

My other work is in private practise in an unrelated field. Would I work for free? Dunno. I’d like to say I’d keep the most interesting cases on.

I do think it’s important to keep occupied, and to feel useful. Is that an answer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

According to the dole threads here yes plenty would claim to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Patww79 wrote: »
    I don't know where you get that from. I wouldn't go out the door if it weren't for the money and there's not a real job that would change that fact. 99% of people I know would be the same too.

I'm told that the experience in similar developing and wartorn countries is that people do tend to keep going to work even if getting paid stops.

When i was younger i might have said yes. Now I've got more than enough side projects to keep me busy, so it would be a big NO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If it was a job I liked* I'd work for free. Not 40 hours per week 48 weeks a year mind, but maybe for shorter hours just to keep my toe in the world, and have a routine and a reason to get up out of bed on occasion.

*Nice work, nice colleagues, a bit of a challenge without being stressful. I've never had such a job but if such a mythical job existed I'd go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Are you talking about universal basic income here? If all my essentials were taken care of without working I'd probably go working about 50-60% as much as I do now to stay ahead of the average.
    It's relative wealth that will make you feel well off, not absolute wealth.

If i won the lotto, i can't imagine that i'd give up work entirely. part time contracting or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

ma ho bu
    Forgot to say, poll is multi choice. Feel free to vote for all options but once you vote thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Sorry but I can't wrestle professionally for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Another way of asking this is, would you stay in your job if you won the lotto?

Absolutely not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I would but not full time. After spending 9 months on maternity leave (2 to go) I have come to the realisation that I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom. I need something for my brain to do besides singing the wheels on the bus a hundred times a day. I think my job would be a lot less stressful if I could quit whenever I wanted as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

my current job ?....no way.
    but if it was a job i got some kind of satisfaction from.... kylie minogues morning foot rubber or something....then ya...probably would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

It shouldn't be a choice between working, sitting at home watching TV, or sitting in the pub eating crisps. There are loads of other things you could be doing, like volunteering, taking courses, traveling, etc., that are mentally and socially stimulating but not "work."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A lot of Myanmars on Boards tonight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'd work, but not a chance it would be in Current job /industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would keep working, possibly in the job I do now. Though I would probably cut the hours down to 30 a week.

Drifting along on autopilot? Some incentive or push is needed - work to live, instead of living to work.

Advertisement