Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite cake

• 10-09-2018 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Have to start by saying I've never had a cake I didn't like but it's hard to beat a nice coffee cake.

Comments

M&S coffee and walnut cake.
    or the chocolate one

i used to love the cadburys swiss gateau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Any that has chocolate in. Preferably a warm chocolate sponge, with a chocolate sauce centre, and chocolate icing on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Fruit cake. Like the really rich Christmas cake but without the fecking horrible icing and marzipan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Lemon meringue. Bitter enough to make you suck your cheeks.

Btw - anyone who has coffee slices with jam in it is doing it wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Carrot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like a lot of home baked cakes. From simple queen cakes to chocolate cakes to coffee cakes.
    I wouldn't be gone on adding stiff such as basil and herbs to cakes.
    However supermarket bought stuff doesn't do much for me. Right from the Value range to the Luxury range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

verycool wrote: »
    Carrot.

+1

Or my own lemon drizzle cake which I learnt to make (its piss easy) I’ve made lots of.

I like to kid myself by saying sure there’s four eggs in it, loads of protein. Lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Madeira.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Archeron wrote: »
    Fruit cake. Like the really rich Christmas cake but without the fecking horrible icing and marzipan.

Please send. Me the marzipan and icing,

I like a lot of home baked cakes. From simple queen cakes to chocolate cakes to coffee cakes.
    However supermarket bought stuff doesn't do much for me. Right from the Value range to the Luxury range.

Yeah my baked cakes are mostly nicer than what i would get in a shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Marks used to make this hazelnut and caramel cake years ago. It was the best cake ever. Never had one to match it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Have to agree the supermarket cakes are always a big let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

+1 for Madeira.

Almond stuff can be nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

thecakeisalie.jpg

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Gur cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Red velvet or chocolate biscuit cake. Ideally the two together, mushed up in a sexy bowl of sexiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Any that has chocolate in. Preferably a warm chocolate sponge, with a chocolate sauce centre, and chocolate icing on top.

Now I want chocolate cake

:D that's my kinda of cake too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Chocolate cake
    Lemon cake
    Carrot cake
    Coffee and walnut cake
    Toffee cake
    Madeira cake

Have to be home though, by me. Gluten and dairy free. :D cos the supermarket ones are so disappointing. (except a Tesco lemon cake I found by accident)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

cbyrd wrote: »
    Gluten and dairy free.

What's even the point?

Just don't have cake, it'll be less disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A homemade coffee cake with lashings of coffee icing and coffee butter cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Victoria sponge cake. Delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Tesco do a great barebones chocolate cake while it is basic it's cheap and with a few decorations added at home they're perfect

I don't see them around much anymore but I always loved a black forest gateau!

cbyrd wrote: »
    Chocolate cake
    Lemon cake
    Carrot cake
    Coffee and walnut cake
    Toffee cake
    Madeira cake

Have to be home though, by me. Gluten and dairy free. :D cos the supermarket ones are so disappointing. (except a Tesco lemon cake I found by accident)

the ones i mentioned are gf.
    not dairy free though.

aldi and lidl do amazing lemon and madeira cakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

What's even the point?

Just don't have cake, it'll be less disappointing.

I use rice flour and ground almonds instead of flour, and a dairy free sunflower spread, you honestly can't tell the difference, I use coconut oil instead of butter in carrot cake and the butter icing for all the cakes make with the sunflower spread. It's a lighter icing but absolutely gorgeous. I love a chocolate genoise sponge with lemon or vanilla icing for afters on a Sunday..
    We have celiacs and a dairy allergy in a few of the kids so just can't take the chance for birthdays etc..

A cafe near me does a toffee, apple and pecan pie served with cream and custard. Absolutely lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Are almond fingers considered a cake? I feel like they're not, but for some reason I associate the phrase "tray bakes" with them, does that come under the cake umbrella?

If so, then add almond fingers to the list. They're the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Rocky road...yes please...a cake of rocky road...mmmmm
    Failing that-white chocolate and raspberry....drool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Battenburg
    Jamaica Ginger
    Strawberry Torte
    Frangipan Tart

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    Are almond fingers considered a cake? I feel like they're not, but for some reason I associate the phrase "tray bakes" with them, does that come under the cake umbrella?

If so, then add almond fingers to the list. They're the business.

They probably do fall into the cake category but I wouldn't personally consider them cakes but they are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Victoria sponge with Fresh Cream and Strawberry Jam mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Superquinn Sponge. Or Supervalu sponge as its known now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

White choc and raspberry
    Coffee
    Victoria sponge with fresh cream and jam
    Lemon
    Chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

My favourite cake is a really gooey chocolate fudge. I love it warm with loads of thick melting chocolate sauce. It's gorgeous served with fresh cream. Basically anything with chocolate and I'm there. I like key lime pie and pecan pie and apple tart too. Oh and a nice creamy lemon cheesecake is lovely too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Black Forest Gateaux.

The proper one with loads of Kirsch.Any recommendations for where I might find some around the Dublin area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement