Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam MaCuleys

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

People might as well go all the way and start suggesting an M&S will open
    :rolleyes::pac:

My guess, yet another one of those euro type shops,

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

As hard as it is for the staff of Sam McCauleys and jobs aside I do feel that it isn't a major loss to the city. Plenty of other pharmacy's around. I hope that something good will come of it. I fear that it may be another pound shop or chain that already exisits in Waterford. A good fast food chain like Nandos would be great as it would bring people into the town at night.

That part of the town could do with places like eddie rockets, nandos, TGI fridays etc to bring people in after 6. The cinema is already back open so thats a start and the apple market area is well established as the drinking area so all is needed is a something in the traditional retail area to encourage people in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I remember when the Broad Street Centre opened amid typical fanfare but it never really took off, there always seemed to be too may empty units given its size esp upstairs. No idea what it looks like as a whole these days but if I owned it I'd gut the whole place and start looking for one rock solid proposition.

Just googling I see the place doesn't even have a dedicated website, facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If any business who needs to do business at night was looking at potential sights in that area of town they might be considering:

1. Where do my potential customers live?
    a. A lot of them live in the subarbs or outside Waterford altogether as Waterford City doesn't have much residential in the CBD.

2. Where do my potential customers work?
    a. They probably again work on the fringes of Waterford City or in the subarbs as Waterford's CBD is mostly retail.

3. Is there a nightime economy?
    a. Not really no. Due to Q1 & Q2, and the absense of residents or office workers, this area of the city tends to shut down around 5.30/6 every evening

4. How might my potential customers into the CBD?
    a. They'll probably need a car due to the lack of public transport. This will impact upon their ability to consume alcohol.

So, unless there is some sort of co-ordinated plan to address items 1-4, I think anyone in the food and beverage industry would be very brave to go near that type of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Hopefully it isn't another Coffee Shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I am sensing another Coffee Shop / Vaping shop / Kebab house / 2nd hand shop / Game exchange / Dealz equivalent or gadget shop in broad streets future.

That thoroughfare connecting JR square up to Micheal street is the pits/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

dzilla wrote: »
    I am sensing another Coffee Shop / Vaping shop / Kebab house / 2nd hand shop / Game exchange / Dealz equivalent or gadget shop in broad streets future.

That thoroughfare connecting JR square up to Micheal street is the pits/.

More minimum wage outlet stores!

It would be a great location for a hotel complete with bar and restaurant!
    It might put a bit more life into the city centre!

More minimum wage outlet stores!

It would be a great location for a hotel complete with bar and restaurant!
    It might put a bit more life into the city centre!

Yeah Wetherspoons slated to go across the road but got knocked back on the planning because it wasn't in fitting with the aread. Which is utter horse much because the area is a dive so anything would be an improvement.

Are all of the existing units that where in broad street shopping center just blocked up inside. I remember a bit elevator and bewleys cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

dzilla wrote: »
    Yeah Wetherspoons slated to go across the road but got knocked back on the planning because it wasn't in fitting with the aread. Which is utter horse much because the area is a dive so anything would be an improvement.

Are all of the existing units that where in broad street shopping center just blocked up inside. I remember a bit elevator and bewleys cafe.

Wetherspoons have planning but have decided to shelve their Cork and Waterford developments until completion of their Dublin pub and hotel.

Wetherspoons have planning but have decided to shelve their Cork and Waterford developments until completion of their Dublin pub and hotel.

Incorrect.

Wetherspoons have planning now. But where knocked back after initial plans where sent in ,in the time they took redrawing the and redesigning the building brexit happened in the mean time which put their future Irish plans on the back boiler. Waterford C+C maintain Wetherspoons plans originally where not in fitting with the local area. Funny that one, when you look at that monstrosity of a mortage building where claires accessories is.

Weterspoons Cork development has been open since 2015 https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/republic-of-ireland/county-cork/the-linen-weaver-cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

And I'll say it again! Unless the WCC redevelop old city urban areas with a more
    modern styled developments this will not be the only closure. The city centre needs new and young blood to re-energise it.

You are making the usual incorrect assertion that WCCC has **** loads of money to be buying up old buildings or cpo’ing them.......it’s not the councils job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

A stretch of the old Viking Wall of Waterford city was discovered on the property boundary between Flanagan's shop in Broad Street and the TSB in Arundel Square. Both of these are now the single"Wetherspoon's unit". After the archaeology and consultation with national heritage services they were asked for further information and proposals to deal with what was found. It took them a long time, nearly a year ?, before they responded. Any delay is their fault and their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

No idea what it looks like as a whole these days but if I owned it I'd gut the whole place and start looking for one rock solid proposition.
    I think its accountancy company(s) in there now, at least judging by the signage by where the revolving doors used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

As an "insider" I know what will be going in the site of Sam Mcauleys. It will be a small chocolate factory. There is this charismatic guy who runs it. He is a mysterious character. He has distributed tokens inside the packaging of his chocolate produce and will distribute them among the children of Waterford. This charismatic guy only employs the vertically challenged so don't bother sending in a CV if you're over 5 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

As an "insider" I know what will be going in the site of Sam Mcauleys. It will be a small chocolate factory. There is this charismatic guy who runs it. He is a mysterious character. He has distributed tokens inside the packaging of his chocolate produce and will distribute them among the children of Waterford. This charismatic guy only employs the vertically challenged so don't bother sending in a CV if you're over 5 foot.

Looking at some of the women around town Saturday night, they have the right colour skin for the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

914 wrote: »
    Looking at some of the women around town Saturday night, they have the right colour skin for the job!

Surely the north quays project will help the whole city center and environs......haven’t heard very much of an update lately but I assume things are progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The HSE are taking it over and turning it into a shooting gallery for addicts.

Advertisement