Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice Served??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Yes he deserved a few slaps, but he did not deserve to be there unconscious on the ground with a gang of scum and yes scum is what they are beating his face and head with a metal bar, fists and feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Burzum wrote: »
    Yes he deserved a few slaps, but he did not deserve to be there unconscious on the ground with a gang of scum and yes scum is what they are beating his face and head with a metal bar, fists and feet.

Disgraceful way to refer to decent, civic-minded community activists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just in case you don't know, the word you were looking for was Grisly.
    thanks mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

paw patrol wrote: »
    i fully endorse this style of community policing.

thieves are scum and given the beatings handed out to the elderly , I hope this trend continues.

I totally agree scumbags like these have been getting away with these sort of crimes for far too long. To be honest I don't blame the Gardi I blame our justice system.
    Radical change is needed and until the goverment bring in legislation like tougher sentencing laws to deterre these scumbags from attacking the weak and vulnerable in our society such as the elderly we will start to see more people getting together to protect what is rightfully theirs. Hopefully this will be a lesson to anyone who thinks they have a god given right to enter a person's property without their permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-who-was-beaten-after-entering-unoccupied-house-charged-with-burglary-1.3626035%3fmode=amp

"A 27 year old man who received a ferocious beating after he entered an unoccupied house in Cork has been remanded in custody after he was charged with burglary.

Karl O’Brien appeared with two black and swollen eyes and other injuries including cuts and bruises to his face when he was charged at Cork District Court on Monday with a burglary on Sunday.

Mr O’Brien, a native of Dublin but with an address at St Helen’s in Blarney, was charged with a burglary at a house at Churchfield Avenue in Cork city on September 9th."

A previous charge,

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/homeless-man-jailed-for-two-years-after-mugging-ucd-student-29125963.html

"A homeless man who mugged a UCD student in Dublin city centre has been sentenced to four years with two suspended.

Karl O'Brien (21), who is currently serving another sentence in Portlaoise Prison, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the robbery of [innocent victims name removed] on Dame Street on September 18, 2011.

Garda Amy Kelly told Derek Cooney BL, prosecuting, that the UCD student was walking along Dame Street on his way to a concert when he was dragged down a laneway by four men."

Even better news, now for the second person to be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Damn right justice was served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Grayson wrote: »
    The point was that they didn't have to be beaten that way. That was a mob and it went far beyond what was needed to restrain someone. And you think that the local people are best able to deal with it? really? You think the mob that beat someone senseless have the ability to make a rational decision in that circumstance?
    You're doing the "So what you're saying is" thing so beloved on the internet!

They definitely assaulted him severely - I disagree with permanent injuries. I agree with Potential-Monke that they should have held him down until the guards arrived (wouldn't care if they gave him a few digs but not bone breaking). There is also the possibility that some of those who assaulted him didn't give a **** about what he was doing, and were just happy with the opportunity to assault someone.

But you can see the reason for something without defending it. I see why vigilante justice is resorted to. When the police force are ineffective due to being under-resourced and having limited powers, when armed burglars don't give a **** about the police, when people - especially elderly people - are living in terror of home invasion with no way of protecting themselves (how is contacting the guards going to help them when the assailant is in the property and worse still, assaulting them? Not like they could even contact the guards anyway), when sentencing for such criminal acts is so often astoundingly lenient - even in the cases of people who have previous convictions numbering in the 3-digits, when people have simply had enough... Churchfield is actually a really pretty place with a beautiful view of Cork city and plenty of green space, but a minority of lowlives ruin it for the rest of those living there... and when people are just so damn sick of their community being brought down, and when all of the above factors are added... I can see why it happens.

It's easy for people who don't have to live in areas that have problems caused by crime and anti social behaviour to be more concerned about the vigilante justice than the recipient's crime. Don't go trying to burgle people and you won't risk such reprisal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-who-was-beaten-after-entering-unoccupied-house-charged-with-burglary-1.3626035%3fmode=amp

"A 27 year old man who received a ferocious beating after he entered an unoccupied house in Cork has been remanded in custody after he was charged with burglary.

Karl O’Brien appeared with two black and swollen eyes and other injuries including cuts and bruises to his face when he was charged at Cork District Court on Monday with a burglary on Sunday.

Mr O’Brien, a native of Dublin but with an address at St Helen’s in Blarney, was charged with a burglary at a house at Churchfield Avenue in Cork city on September 9th."

A previous charge,

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/homeless-man-jailed-for-two-years-after-mugging-ucd-student-29125963.html

"A homeless man who mugged a UCD student in Dublin city centre has been sentenced to four years with two suspended.

Karl O'Brien (21), who is currently serving another sentence in Portlaoise Prison, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the robbery of [innocent victims name removed] on Dame Street on September 18, 2011.

Garda Amy Kelly told Derek Cooney BL, prosecuting, that the UCD student was walking along Dame Street on his way to a concert when he was dragged down a laneway by four men."

Pikey

I hate puns, you and I are polar opposites

Just in case you don't know, the word you were looking for was Grisly.
    Grizzly

Grayson wrote: »
    The guards are able to arrest him (if they get there on time), the neighbours have no options other than physical tbh when he's violent and armed himself.

People living there and actually having to experience it are the best judges imo. It's not ideal but he won't understand anything else, and the guards are too under-resourced and limited.

The point was that they didn't have to be beaten that way. That was a mob and it went far beyond what was needed to restrain someone. And you think that the local people are best able to deal with it? really? You think the mob that beat someone senseless have the ability to make a rational decision in that circumstance?
    I hope somebody never breaks into your house or your old family members.

You might think twice then in being so restricted

That is a tired old excuse. "I hope someone in your family is never raped/murdered/whatever"

Even if that was the case, I'm assuming you know that everyone in that group was related to the person who's house was being burgled? Of course they weren't. So you'll extend it to someone they knew. then you'll extend it to someone they saw. then you'll run out of excuses and say that anyone caught committing a crime should be beaten. Why not?

The problem with vigilante justice is that it's unsanctioned and outside the law. There's no court. There's no evidence. There's just a load of bloodthirsty idiots who want their pound of flesh. There's damn good reasons vigilante justice is illegal.
    Sorry but you're wrong, having lived in the n of Ireland for many years,it works mighty fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Karma is a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A previous charge,

Frank buttimer loves a good scumbag,almost as much as he loves money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

People on here calling the locals scum and saying leave it to a Guards are wrong on so many levels.

The Guards have abandoned working-class areas and I know this from personal experience.
    I believe the Guards should back off and mind their own business in such cases communities have a right to protect their homes.

The Guards should stick to what they do best saying there is nothing they can do while cancelling penalty and making up drink-drive test statistics.

These two got caught red-handed and they received a fair and just punishment.
    Anybody here who does not agree with home invaders getting what they rightfully and most properly deserve they have a simple answer.

Tell scum like this not to break into peoples homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Grizzly

Pandantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To put the age old adage to use: "Karma's a Bitch ain't it?!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"Since the police can't seem to get off their dufferoonies... to do something about this... burglarino... I think it's time we started our own neighbourhood watch... aroony!"

Advertisement