Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying dry on the bike

Options
  • 11-09-2018 7:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Is there any such thing as waterproof cycling tights? When I commute to work on the hybrid in the rain I have a pair of baggy overtrousers that work but they would be no good on my road bike as they will start catching/rubbing on the chain. The hybrid has a chain protector thing that the road bike doesn't.

I've enough wet weather gear to keep me dry, except for my legs and feet. I'm looking some sort of waterproof tights or something. Also waterproof shoes or something would be good although I've not got clips or anything on the bike, just normal pedals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Gore waterproof overtrousers and overshoes for me. Kept me dry even in heavy rain.
    I don't think there is such thing as waterproof tights. I would be the first to buy if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

First few winters on the bike for me were spent trialling lots of overshoes/waterproof trousers, etc. In the end, especially if no clips, I found a crap old pair of runners and swimming shorts were the answer. I got a decent Altura jacket thats lasted years and the bag has a waterproof cover.

I never found anything close to waterproof, maybe it was a budget issue, but personal experience was the more waterproof the trousers, the more sweaty I became. If you've a shower in work even better, but if not, just drying water off my legs with a towel was more comfortable than waiting to cool down, drying sweat off and dealing with wet-ish runners where the overshoes hadn't done their job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I also use the minimalist approach. Light shorts and a light cycling top. Have a drying room in work but it can't handle anything heavy duty unless it's in there for a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You can buy clips or straps to tie around the end of your waterproofs. The clips are sort of like the hairclip a girl would wear. You just push it over your leg and it will keep the trousers away from the chain. You need the waterproofs to be that bit longer. You can always fold the waist down when off the bike.

The straps often come with yellow reflective detail.

Sweating is probably the biggest issue with waterproofs. You could probably consider below knee length mountain bike waterproof shorts. The thighs would be dry but not sure if wind would blow water back in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you have mudguards. If not get some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

The number of wet days we get on the east coast is fairly minimal that it doesn't matter too much.

What killed me last winter was cold feet - getting a shower when I got into work meant that I got chilblains for the first time since I was a kid..

Anyone any recommendations for overshoes? - like the op I have regular pedals and not contemplating clip-ins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

galibier mistral bibtights. were the business last winter in the rain. A bit too heavy for current temps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

veganrun wrote: »
    Is there any such thing as waterproof cycling tights? When I commute to work on the hybrid in the rain I have a pair of baggy overtrousers that work but they would be no good on my road bike as they will start catching/rubbing on the chain. The hybrid has a chain protector thing that the road bike doesn't.
    The reflective ankle bands may work for the baggy trousers, aldi and lidl normally have them in the autumn. That's going to be the first of a few aldi and lidl recommendations from me...

If not clipping in, I'd look at hiking shoes or maybe some mtb flat shoes. I have cheaper (in the scheme of things) shimano mtb flats that are pretty warm and pretty waterproof (flap over the laces)

I've a few overshoes on order from ali to try, but they haven't arrived yet. I haven't found the brand ones to last any longer than the cheap ones - walking in them kills all of them, but that's unavoidable for me.

Aldi quite regularly have neoprene socks in their fishing gear - I've used them in the rain, but galibier fire feet were the business for me last winter. Cold days I had them, and then a pair of aldi rip off of seal skins waterproof socks (normally in their hiking gear) plus over shoes! I aim to stay warm rather than dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I asked a similar question a while back and someone mentioned cutting down a pair of willies, as it happens I have a pair of old sailing boots which just go above a few inches above the ankle, I might dig them out. Ive been using sandals over the summer but they will be put away soon, nothing worse than a wet pair of runners

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is there any such thing as waterproof cycling tights?
    Rain Legs do the job nicely. Rolls up into a belt so out of the way until the rain starts. Also works as slight insulation for the thighs/knees.
    Also waterproof shoes or something would be good although I've not got clips or anything on the bike, just normal pedals.
    SPD sandals work nicely. They get wet when it rains and they dry out as quickly when it stops. They work with ordinary pedals as they come with a plain insert in the cleat recess. I use them winter and summer...
    prod69968_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I bought a pair of waterproof cycling socks in Aldi last year, best purchase I ever made, have been looking for a 2nd pair ever since! They don't keep your runners dry but they certainly keep your feet dry so the wet runners don't matter. I also bought a pair of overshoe covers in Sports Direct and they fit over my smaller runners for the very very wet days.

I find the Altura tights the best in the rain, they're not 100% waterproof but enough to stop you being cold and uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

waterproof socks, genius , will look on line for them , might be just the ticket

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

homer911 wrote: »
    The number of wet days we get on the east coast is fairly minimal that it doesn't matter too much.

What killed me last winter was cold feet - getting a shower when I got into work meant that I got chilblains for the first time since I was a kid..

Anyone any recommendations for overshoes? - like the op I have regular pedals and not contemplating clip-ins

Mostly true but there was a stretch after the snow in March through April where it rained heavy and constant every day. Then it stopped and we had 4 months of sunshine. I just got the bus during the rain. I don't mind the rain, but I hate putting on wet clothes that haven't dried to cycle back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Rain Legs do the job nicely. Rolls up into a belt so out of the way until the rain starts. Also works as slight insulation for the thighs/knees.

SPD sandals work nicely. They get wet when it rains and they dry out as quickly when it stops. They work with ordinary pedals as they come with a plain insert in the cleat recess. I use them winter and summer...
    prod69968_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505

hmm ... wouldn't fancy having the foot/toes exposed like that especially when the road gets slippy and you end up falling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

silverharp wrote: »
    I asked a similar question a while back and someone mentioned cutting down a pair of willies, as it happens I have a pair of old sailing boots which just go above a few inches above the ankle, I might dig them out. Ive been using sandals over the summer but they will be put away soon, nothing worse than a wet pair of runners

:eek::eek::eek: :pac:

mrcheez wrote: »
    hmm ... wouldn't fancy having the foot/toes exposed like that especially when the road gets slippy and you end up falling

I've done that in sandals. Toes were not the problem...

Wintertime I add a pair of Sealskinz waterproof thermal socks. If they get wet (water will run down your leg) they're easy to turn inside out to dry before the return trip.

silverharp wrote: »
    waterproof socks, genius , will look on line for them , might be just the ticket
    It's still mainly for warmth - the rain will get in. What you have above them may delay that, and duration of spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Human skin is waterproof! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I've done that in sandals. Toes were not the problem...

Wintertime I add a pair of Sealskinz waterproof thermal socks. If they get wet (water will run down your leg) they're easy to turn inside out to dry before the return trip.

have you any pics of this setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's still mainly for warmth - the rain will get in. What you have above them may delay that, and duration of spin.

So far, and I've had a fair few bad soakings since buying them, my feet have remained 100% dry in those socks, they are brilliant. Of course everywhere else is soaked through but dry feet is pure happiness :D.

• Advertisement

have you any pics of this setup?

frayed knot.

Maybe as winter sets in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Someone in my club suggested these and said they were good.

Anyone tried them? Sorry about the link, I'm on the phone.

https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c3-thermo-bib-tights-100326.html?dwvar_100326_color=9908&cgid=gw_men_clothing_tights#start=6&cgid=gw_men_clothing_tights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

https://www.gorewear.com/uk/en-uk/gore-c3-thermo-bib-tights-100326.html?dwvar_100326_color=9908&cgid=gw_men_clothing_tights#start=6&cgid=gw_men_clothing_tights

they don't have a pad, not sure if you need one or not

Thud wrote: »

they don't have a pad, not sure if you need one or not

Doh, didn't realise that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    .... I don't mind the rain, but I hate putting on wet clothes that haven't dried to cycle back home.
    If I know it's going to be very wet, I just take dry gear for the commute home.

Stuff shoes with newspaper which will absorb most of the wetness during the day.

As has been said, it doesn't rain near as much as people think. I'd say 90% of my commutes are not wet.

I got soaked again yesterday evening on a training run. I have a waterproof jacket and gloves so my top half was grand, it was from the waist down that suffered. I just had tights, normal socks and runners. I think I will have to look about some waterproof shoes or something and maybe just wear my pullover waterproof trousers over tights or something with some things around the ankles to stop them flapping about, but they are quite baggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have an e-biike, one of the huge benefits is that I can use cheap n nasty waterproof gear, which usually is truly 100% waterproof, rather than the expensive breathable stuff which is not. I have stuff intended for motorbikes/mopeds.

Just lower my speed a bit, as I would anyway in rain, and there is no sweating even in the "plastic bag" gear.

I bought a pair of waterproof pullover trousers with shoe covers built in yesterday. They were about £15. Hopefully they will do.

I mentioned in the aldi thread, I used the over trousers from there on Friday morning to go to a meeting (so suit trousers) and they did the job. That time they also did over shoes for "normal" shoes. They also did the job, and kept the bottom of the trousers tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you already have proper long mudguards, a mudflap on the front mudguard makes a surprisingly large difference.

I more or less followed the instructions here:
    http://phred.org/~alex/bikes/fendermudflap.html

If you're crafty, you can probably make something that doesn't look awful.

Advertisement