Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying dry on the bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i dont find any issues with not having a mud guard on the front, on the back i have a carrier so i just leave an old pair on rolled up waterproofs so i dont get in in the back and hair. i think its dumb though that they are considered an add on for commuter bikes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So far, and I've had a fair few bad soakings since buying them, my feet have remained 100% dry in those socks, they are brilliant. Of course everywhere else is soaked through but dry feet is pure happiness :D.

I bought waterproof socks and they were great at keeping the water out.

Then when then water ran down my legs and got into the sock via that route they were great at keeping the water in.

Ditched em after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

silverharp wrote: »
    i think its dumb though that they are considered an add on for commuter bikes
    Mudguards aren't an add-on for commuter bikes. The problem is that most people don't buy commuter bikes - bikes with mudguards, rack, dynamo, kick-stand. They buy light hybrid bikes and then spray crap all over their fellow commuters and wear sweaty backpacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think a lot of people buy knock-off pseudo-sport/mountain bikes for about €300, so you don't really get well set up for commuting (or sport, obviously).

It doesn't help that proper mudguards (not ass-savers/filth prophylactics) are a bit hard to add on yourself. Harder than lights or a basket, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was only noticing yesterday, though, how many more "Dutch" bikes there are around Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mudguards aren't an add-on for commuter bikes. The problem is that most people don't buy commuter bikes - bikes with mudguards, rack, dynamo, kick-stand. They buy light hybrid bikes and then spray crap all over their fellow commuters and wear sweaty backpacks.
    In fairness, I do think security of where you are leaving it comes into play too.

My winter bike does have full mudgards, rack, and I'm going to add a dynamo hub. However, for day to day commutes/ into town for meetings, I'm really not sure the work bike parking or drury street is that secure. In work in particular I've considered upping my locks to the top krptonite ones, but then I looked at what I was locking it too... So a dynamo hub replaces the headache of drained batteries, but is replaced by a headache about whether the bike is still going to be there!

The beater does have rack (really hate backpacks), and will be getting mudguards too in coming weeks (and rechargable lights).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This thread title is very misleading, I was thinking of peoples opinions on cycling home from the pub or a bag of cans on the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I've commuted by bike pretty much every day for the last few winters. As someone previously said, it doesn't actually rain as much as you think it would, in particular on the east coast. The most important thing for me with the clothes is that it has to be easily seen, preferably flourescent, for the dark mornings and evenings. Then warm, followed by waterproof.
    The aldi jackets are good for waterproofing, but have poor breathability. Personally, i like the Dare2b jackets for about 50quid. Ski pants are good for the very cold days as they are designed to be waterproof and breath. Ski helmet for the very cold days too. I use bib tights the other days. I hate the awkwardness of shoe covers/socks. Instead, i would highly recommend the Northwave Artic series cycle shoes. They are pricey at 180e but one of my favourite purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I posted this in another thread, but meant to put it here.
    Have these on order from Tredz, awaiting delivery
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Luminite-Waterproof-Cycling-Trousers-AW17_45085.htm

Advertisement