Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too early to move a tree?

Options
  • 11-09-2018 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I have a tree I bought that needs to be planted.
    It needs to go into a spot where I already have a small tree.

Do I jeopardize both by digging the one in place out this early or should I try keeping the new one in a pot till November when both should theoretically be dormant ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have a tree I bought that needs to be planted.
    It needs to go into a spot where I already have a small tree.

Do I jeopardize both by digging the one in place out this early or should I try keeping the new one in a pot till November when both should theoretically be dormant ?

I had the exact same dilemma but not your patience. I did the transfer 3 weeks ago, both trees seem fine. There's been no sudden shedding of leaves and they both look healthy and happy in their new spots. I was moving a young cherry tree planted the previous year and putting a potted Japanese maple in its stead.

I'm hoping growth won't be affected next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As a rue plants in pots can be planted at any time of the year - as long as conditions are ok.

Bare root plants are restricted to planting during autumn - spring.

That said if it is a large tree in a pot - it is best practice to side with planting outside the growing season.

To prepare a potted tree for planting make sure the root ball is well watered.

Prepare the planting hole with some well rotted fym mixed well with some soil or other tree and shrub fertiliser. Stake the tree to help avoid roots becoming dislodged etc.

Advertisement