Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional or not

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    so if a provo is not meant to speed up play, then why ever hit a provo?

you would just walk up look, cant find, walk back, hit your third.

hitting a provo, eliminates the need to walk back, thus speeding up play.

I wasn't implying its not to speed up play, its the below section that is wrong.

" if my ball was not ok, I would concede that it went in hazard and I would be lying 3"

If your ball is not ok then you proceed with the same options as if you had seen the ball go into the hazard, none of them involve continuing with your provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

happens all the time

That doesn't make it right, people take incorrect drops all the time.

What if someone else had picked up your ball, or a bird picked it up, or it hit a rock in the stream and bounced off into the rough?

"virtually certain" is there for a reason and is there to prevent you from having to being waders and retrieve your ball from the hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

of course you can.

have you ever hit a ball down the centre of a fairway.
    walked up the middle and then realise there is a little stream running across the middle, right where you saw your ball land. but your ball is nowhere in sight. it is absolutely accepted by everyone that the ball has to have run out in to the hazard.

happens all the time

Different situations, you said you were certain your ball was outside the hazard. It's rare i would ever say that to be honest. As I said above, you are better off saying that it's in the hazard if you have any doubt

"A shut mouth catches no flies"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You're supposed to make the most honest decision. You're supposed to be certain. Reasonably certain. Not like 'aliens might have taken it with a time machine, its possible' but reasonably certain.
    If there is a bank of rough before the green and half of it is in the hazard and the other half isn't then you cant be certain its in the hazard .
    If its like that par 3 in Sawgrass then you can be reasonably certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You're supposed to make the most honest decision. You're supposed to be certain. Reasonably certain. Not like 'aliens might have taken it with a time machine, its possible' but reasonably certain.
    If there is a bank of rough before the green and half of it is in the hazard and the other half isn't then you cant be certain its in the hazard .
    If its like that par 3 in Sawgrass then you can be reasonably certain.
    The word in the rules is 'virtually'. I think that's a higher level of certainty than 'reasonably'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement