Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah here we go.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

So. Do the residents have a point, or are they just a bunch of self-important NIMBYs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fair enough, it's a residential street not a tourist spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Should be sorted for the residents. Its not on in this, or an other, residential area.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

We get a handful of campervans in my area. The fact that there is very little if any evidence to suggest they are actually sleeping there is commendable. There are zero issues consequently and the location couldn't be better for quiet but also convenient to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Shock, Horror. Man seen urinating near stadiums / port / largest concert venue in the county., conclusion it must have been someone driving a very expensive vehicle. Straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've camped streetside many times: so I can't really get self-righteous about this one.
    But mine is a smallish van, looking barely different than a commercial van. Well, not much. [Citroen Relay, conversion]
    And meticulous Stealth rules should always apply: Arrive at sunset, leave at breakfast, not a sound or a trace of our passing.
    And never camp where there is more than one other van in sight.
    Wonder what app they're using?
    I know a few secret spots than can be used occasionally by a discreet van. Just saying :-)

PS NOT a monster Winnebago type thing: just a little van like a Transit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Quote from the Irish Times article -

“Whilst most of the campers are mature and do act responsibly there have been a number of public order issues with younger campers, mainly at night. These include drinking, raucous behaviour, littering, having a BBQ at 3am, playing loud music and on one occasion publicly urinating in front of number 5,” the letter says. The residents say they want a “total ban” on overnight camping in the area.

Nobody should have to put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

they have a point to be fair. One or two occasionally is fine and would probably go relatively unnoticed.

there clearly is business in this - school grounds are often used in France in summer.

Not going over old ground on planning etc but this is a potential large cohort both from within the country and from foreign tourists but we seem to shun the business and fail to properly provide. Unofficial parking is bound to emerge without proper facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The ball is firmly in Dublin City Councils court.
    The residents of Strasburg Terrace wouldn't have the issue if the city had a proper Motorhome Parking Area like the one below

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I've done plenty of stealth city camping in my day but in the same fashion as another poster. My fear would be a knee jerk reaction from counsellors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If Dublin Council "ban overnight parking" where will people living locally move their cars to, every evening? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It doesn't take much to set up a decent parking area. Cobh has shown the way.

Advertisement