Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Cash?

Options
  • 11-09-2018 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

This has probably been done to death but cant see a thread that answers my question.

I am renting in a house share the last year or so. From the get go the land lord has requested that approx one third of the rent is paid by cash every month, the rest electronically to his account. He sends an email to everyone in the house the last week of every month and states the day he will be in to collect (we all leave it in our food presses).

He labels this as "maintenance" money. In my time in the house he has done zero maintenance. The house would literally need to be falling down for him to respond to your email or text.

So my questions are;

1) Am I within my rights to just say "no I will wire you 100% of the rent from now on"?

2) How can I check if he is avoiding tax with this method? he seems dodgy AF.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What does your lease say about a) payment methods b) maintenance ?

Is the tenancy registered with the RTB?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

LOL

He has a neck like a jockeys bollokcs.

There is no reason you can't tell him that you will wire the whole amount but is it that much of big deal to give him some cash?

What is the amount paid in both cash and wire? I would be telling him that for the hassle of taking money out to give him you are paying 50 euro less a month. If he has a problem he can take it to Revenue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

eoghan104 wrote: »
    LOL

He has a neck like a jockeys bollokcs.

There is no reason you can't tell him that you will wire the whole amount but is it that much of big deal to give him some cash?

What is the amount paid in both cash and wire? I would be telling him that for the hassle of taking money out to give him you are paying 50 euro less a month. If he has a problem he can take it to Revenue!

If he has a problem with the op not paying the full rent, he can evict the op for being in arrears. If the total paid by the op is equal to the monthly rent agreed in the lease, then that is the amount the op has to pay, not €50 less. The LL can label that "money for coke" if he wants, as long as the op is being charged what was agreed in the lease.

The tax affairs of the LL are of no concern of the tenant. The service being paid for is being provided.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

davo10 wrote: »
    The tax affairs of the LL are of no concern of the tenant. The service being paid for is being provided.

Not necessarily. People have a civic responsibility to report suspected tax evasion, they don't have an obligation to facilitate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, adding the total paid, is it below market rate or at market rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jasper_

Not a concern of mine? I would like to know that the cash I hand over to this man is being declared to the revenue and not straight in to his pocket.

Is there means to find this out or would I straight out have to report him to revenue or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

does he give you a receipt for the cash portion every month?

TheShow wrote: »
    does he give you a receipt for the cash portion every month?

No

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jasper_ wrote: »
    Not a concern of mine? I would like to know that the cash I hand over to this man is being declared to the revenue and not straight in to his pocket.

Is there means to find this out or would I straight out have to report him to revenue or something?

That's none of your business. How do you confirm that every penny handed over to the local shop, pub, window cleaner is being declared, you don't.

kceire wrote: »
    OP, adding the total paid, is it below market rate or at market rate?

Are you talking about am I getting good value compared to similar rooms in the area? Yes, I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

This thread has gone way off line, OP can you answer the original questions posed as follows:

1. What does your lease say about a) payment methods b) maintenance ?

2 .Is the tenancy registered with the RTB?

If he has a problem with the op not paying the full rent, he can evict the op for being in arrears. If the total paid by the op is equal to the monthly rent agreed in the lease, then that is the amount the op has to pay, not €50 less. The LL can label that "money for coke" if he wants, as long as the op is being charged what was agreed in the lease.

So the LL goes to kick him out because he won't pay the full amount in cash, then the OP says "OK I'll pay the full amount but I am just going to let Revenue know the arrangement."

What do you think would happen then?

If you are getting a good deal relatively to similar places then everyone's a winner, say nothing.

That's none of your business. How do you confirm that every penny handed over to the local shop, pub, window cleaner is being declared, you don't.

Surely its an indication that he is tax dodging and I am within my rights to report it to revenue for investigation.

If he actually used this cash "maintenance" for anything I would not be questioning him.

What are the amounts so we can see the breakdown?

Stanford wrote: »
    This thread has gone way off line, OP can you answer the original questions posed as follows:

1. What does your lease say about a) payment methods b) maintenance ?

2 .Is the tenancy registered with the RTB?

1. I'll have to double check when I get home. It does state payment methods, not sure about maintenance.

It does state that there is a dishwasher and dryer in the property (there isn't) so I would hazard a guess he would have to re-read it too.

2. Yes.

What are the amounts so we can see the breakdown?

Amounts i'm paying? 200 cash and 400 wired

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

Maybe you should find another room and pay more by electronic transfer only :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And you wonder why people are so suspicious about 'small' time landlords going around promoting Air BnB.

Its all a big scam any little bit of scam, be it deposits , actual rent zero maintenance. and you wonder why landlords get a bad rep.

Your out there promoting this nonsense weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

It's absolutely his business. The LL is almost certainly evading tax on this amount, there's few other credible reasons to take cash in this manner. People like this evading tax means we all pay more than our fair share of tax.

OP- here is the form to report tax evasion to Revenue

How do you confirm that every penny handed over to the local shop, pub, window cleaner is being declared, you don't.

Whataboutery

If or when you go for a mortgage, it's good to show your rent payments.
    Yours will only show 400 Euro a month, when in fact you how been going 600.

• Advertisement

daphne wrote: »
    Maybe you should find another room and pay more by electronic transfer only :D

Or report this guy on all fronts to get him to cop on maybe?!

Do not report him if you want to stay living there on cheap rent.

He is almost certainly evading tax.

Your original question was is there any reason why he can make you pay 33% in cash, the answer is no.

Jasper_ wrote: »
    Or report this guy on all fronts to get him to cop on maybe?!
    To what end? Do you dislike him? Dislike living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

bubblypop wrote: »
    If or when you go for a mortgage, it's good to show your rent payments.
    Yours will only show 400 Euro a month, when in fact you how been going 600.

This would be main reason I would be against it.
    Also I'm not sure how happy I'd be about the LL popping in every month to collect rent left in my cupboard, what happens if it goes missing, whats to stop him saying it wasn't there, a bank transfer has a proper record.
    This along with the tax dodging would make me want to pay it all via bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

Did you ask him if you could just pay the full amount electronically?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Possibly because he thinks this is acceptable.

- its not.

Do not report him if you want to stay living there on cheap rent.

He is almost certainly evading tax.

Your original question was is there any reason why he can make you pay 33% in cash, the answer is no.

Surely you can do it anonymously? He can only up the rent 4% yearly.

I like living there. I do not like how he operates one bit.

daphne wrote: »
    Did you ask him if you could just pay the full amount electronically?

He does not engage with tenants unless they are not paying the rent. Emails, texts and phone calls go in to a black hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

1. OP you are within your right to pay only by bank transfer unless your contract states otherwise.
    2. The landlord is probably within his right to evict you as you are just renting a room.
    3. You are within your right to report him to revenue.

In my opinion just ask for receipts. If the landlord is doing this to avoid tax he wont give you a receipt.

Advertisement