Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Cash?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

Jasper_ wrote: »
    daphne wrote: »
    Did you ask him if you could just pay the full amount electronically?

He does not engage with tenants unless they are not paying the rent. Emails, texts and phone calls go in to a black hole.
    Suggest that you email him (so that you have a written record) to tell him that you are going to pay the rent in full electronically from now on for safety reasons and you require a receipt for amount paid. That is entirely reasonable and if he objects then you can be suspicious.

1. OP you are within your right to pay only by bank transfer unless your contract states otherwise.
    2. The landlord is probably within his right to evict you as you are just renting a room.
    3. You are within your right to report him to revenue.

In my opinion just ask for receipts. If the landlord is doing this to avoid tax he wont give you a receipt.
    Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Considering how high rents are Id say nothing.

Yea, My sense of right and wrong can be bought for a few grand annually in my pocket and noone elses.

And that's what this boils down to: feeding your thirst for justice from someone who is probably playing the system vs OP simply paying thousands more annually.

Good grief, you want him to pay his taxes, you like living there and happy paying below the odds and I presume he's responsive with getting stuff fixed etc? Can't have everything in this life.  Figure out what your major gripe is - will you need to prove your rent level to a mortgage provider in future - if this is a problem, ask for receipt or do you have a problem leaving cash in a cupboard - then fix that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Good grief, you want him to pay his taxes, you like living there and happy paying below the odds and I presume he's responsive with getting stuff fixed etc? Can't have everything in this life.  Figure out what your major gripe is - will you need to prove your rent level to a mortgage provider in future - if this is a problem, ask for receipt or do you have a problem leaving cash in a cupboard - then fix that.

Why would you presume the landlord is responsive? The op even says they are not.
    He labels this as "maintenance" money. In my time in the house he has done zero maintenance. The house would literally need to be falling down for him to respond to your email or text.

• Advertisement

He says that the house would need to be falling down for him to answer - that suggests that he is responsive in dire circumstances! :) OP did say he was happy living there. In any case, I think OP should decide what he wants out of situation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He says that the house would need to be falling down for him to answer - that suggests that he is responsive in dire circumstances! :) OP did say he was happy living there. In any case, I think OP should decide what he wants out of situation.

Only responding to an email or call when the house is falling down isn't what I or I imagine most others would call responsive. It's landlords like this who give the good ones a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

a landlord that charges less than market for a roof over your head and isnt evicting you is about as fantastic a landlord you can get nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

listermint wrote: »
    Possibly because he thinks this is acceptable.

- its not.

Actually it is. Provided the op is being charged the monthly rent agreed in the lease, there is no legal impediment to rent being paid by electronic transfer and/or cash. If that is what the op agreed to do, then that is the form in which rent is paid. Nothing illegal about that.

You have a hang up about Airbnb as evidenced in another thread, ironically that is one of the benefits of Airbnb, there is no cash payment, everything is electronic through the Airbnb site.

Op, as long as you are being charged what was agreed in your lease, and that is a good rate for that area, quite apart from the tax affairs of the LL being none of your business, you would be a fool to rock the boat. You are receiving the benefit of the service you are paying for, what the LL does with that money is not your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can report the landlord of suspicion of tax evasion. However, you have no entitlement to learn if he actually is or not. All you can do is report. Revenue will investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Just so people are aware, much as even the Revenue Commissioners themselves advertise that you report tax dodgers to them - they dont care when you phone them and give details.

I had a situation with a tradesman who offered me a cash price versus a VAT price via email so I actually had proof for the revenue and they didnt want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

davo10 wrote: »
    Actually it is. Provided the op is being charged the monthly rent agreed in the lease, there is no legal impediment to rent being paid by electronic transfer and/or cash. If that is what the op agreed to do, then that is the form in which rent is paid. Nothing illegal about that.

You have a hang up about Airbnb as evidenced in another thread, ironically that is one of the benefits of Airbnb, there is no cash payment, everything is electronic through the Airbnb site.

Op, as long as you are being charged what was agreed in your lease, and that is a good rate for that area, quite apart from the tax affairs of the LL being none of your business, you would be a fool to rock the boat. You are receiving the benefit of the service you are paying for, what the LL does with that money is not your concern.
    But you could find yourself in a precarious situation in the future if 1. you can't prove your outgoings to a financial institution 2. you want to make a claim against your landlord 3. your landlord accuses you of non payment of the full agreed terms

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah sure youve been making excuses all over the boards for tax evasion of the landlords that pull this fast one.

There is no legitimate landlord in the country that takes bits in cash and bits in electronic transfer.

You know it as well as i do. Lets call it for what it is.

And yes the tenant here can report him and is entitled to report him as he is paying the rent to him. Correctly above he is not entitled to see the outcome but can all means report him.

Ive no sympathy at this stage for your attitude in relation to property. You seem to believe you should be clear to operate in some open free market where regulations shouldnt exist nor government interference in what goes on. When the reality is you operate outside Planning permission, you dont pay business rates. You claim to operating a competing business with hotels and B&Bs who have to operate under all the rules that you dont.

Sounds legit.....

We have a housing problem here, And taking actual properties off the market so small time landlords can short let them is no solution. It has to stop. AND no one is saying its the entire problem its one of the problems in a tangled web of problems that need to be addressed. Its a multi solution that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Give him a list of things you want fixed and ask him to do them. But for get about reporting him, he's either hiding money from an ex wife or revenue. Either way you've always known this cash was being hidden from somebody. If you report him he will have to go legit and find a way to get the same income so he'll do essential repairs and reten at the market rate or he'll decide being a LL is to much trouble and sell up. Either way you lose out and your house mates do to, please don't drag them down with you.

If he doesn't do the repairs move or open a case with the RTB over the repairs.

listermint wrote: »
    Ah sure youve been making excuses all over the boards for tax evasion of the landlords that pull this fast one.

There is no legitimate landlord in the country that takes bits in cash and bits in electronic transfer.

You know it as well as i do. Lets call it for what it is.

And yes the tenant here can report him and is entitled to report him as he is paying the rent to him. Correctly above he is not entitled to see the outcome but can all means report him.

Ive no sympathy at this stage for your attitude in relation to property. You seem to believe you should be clear to operate in some open free market where regulations shouldnt exist nor government interference in what goes on. When the reality is you operate outside Planning permission, you dont pay business rates. You claim to operating a competing business with hotels and B&Bs who have to operate under all the rules that you dont.

Sounds legit.....

We have a housing problem here, And taking actual properties off the market so small time landlords can short let them is no solution. It has to stop. AND no one is saying its the entire problem its one of the problems in a tangled web of problems that need to be addressed. Its a multi solution that is required.

Ok, your post is all rubbish, but here it goes:

You have no proof it is legitimate nor illegal, why are you making unfounded allegations without any proof whatsoever to back it up? You have suspicions, but that's all you have.

Of course he can report him, but as you said, the tax affairs of the LL are between the LL and Revenue. The op is receiving the service he is paying for irrespective of the method used to pay. The LL can always find a relative who needs the house or do a qualifying refurb and bump the rent, the op will have the moral high ground, and a higher rent somewhere else.

I have never asked for your sympathy, nor do I need it. I'm not sure why you think I do. Yes I believe I should operate in an open and free market that the Government should not interfere in. In fact their interference to date has had the exact opposite effect to what they envisaged, rents have increased, rental property numbers decreased etc. Their interference has made the problem much worse.

I have planning permission for short term lets, I told you this on another thread. And I have no moral issue with competing against hotels, they jack prices up when events are on, they over charge for meals/drinks and occupancy levels in Ireland are so high, more hotel rooms are needed. Why would I not want to compete with them? I'm offering accommodation to the public/tourists at a much more competitive rate.

It is legit.

Rental property owners are not responsible for the shortage of rental accommodation nor for providing rental accommodation to those who need it. This is a business, not philanthropy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

quite apart from the tax affairs of the LL being none of your business, you would be a fool to rock the boat. You are receiving the benefit of the service you are paying for, what the LL does with that money is not your concern.

I pay a huge proportion of my income in tax to keep this country running.

The way I see it, it absolutely is a concern of mine if someone else isn't paying what they're legally required to.
    This is a business, not philanthropy..

Then start acting like a business and stop defending the clear issue's with the OP's situation. It should never have even come into question. My landlord wont accept cash to put her situation beyond all doubt.

I pay a huge proportion of my income in tax to keep this country running.

The rest of us pay it because we have no choice, death and taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jasper_ wrote: »
    Or report this guy on all fronts to get him to cop on maybe?!

Well if you report him he'll most likely have to sell up or just stop renting. Either way you will be on the street looking for somewhere to live.

Advertisement