Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running new Switch Live to Fan Controller

Options
  • 11-09-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some expert advice here please.

I want to run my bathroom and utility ceiling extractor fans from their own dedicated fan switches instead of having them whining at me every time the light is switched on - (They've humidistats so damp not a concern & want them switched also in case they need to be turned on for other reasons.)

At the moment there is a single switch outside the bathroom. Plan is to swap it for a double switch face plate where one is a momentary switch. (ie press the switch, complete the circuit - fan runs via its own timer unit for 5 mins.... these are already ordered)

Whats the easiset way to wire this? As far as I can tell I can run an extra switched live cable down the conduit from the attic to the existing back box and take the existing live from the hot side of the light switch by using a small loop of wire - Is this the best option here?

In the utility its a bit more complicated, there is currently two light fittings that are independently switched - Plan once more is to swap it for a double switch face plate where one is a momentary switch - This will mean that I'll have to control both lights using just one switch and then bring a new switched live to the fan controller in attic.

Any tips or advice gratefully accepted - Thanks for the help.

Advertisement