Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on rates and standing charges

Options
  • 11-09-2018 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

We have a Electricity/gas contract and a Pay As You Go meter.

Checking the contract I see we have "Dual Fuel" ticked.
    and Price Plan: "Value Reward" ticked

It's dated 17/09/14

I'm having difficulties trying to get the basic information on our price plan.
    The PAYG meter supposedly gives information on rates etc. by pressing Key 7

I get
    Rate 1 01161
    Rate 2 04155

But cannot make sense of this, they don't seem plausible figures.

R1 Price 18-010c
    R2 Price 18-010c
    which seems to mean 18.01 cents per unit (KWh)?

But the standing charge figure from pressing key 7
    STCH/DAY 72-750c

makes no sense to me.

What's my basic information:
    1. Price per unit
    2. Standing charge (per day or year)
    3. Price for the PAYG meter (per day or year)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Bloch,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The ValueReward plan only applies to bills rather than PAYG. Those figures seem like meter-readings, however if you confirm the following, we should be able to advise you for certain.

If you state whether you have bills or PAYG for electricity, the type of ESB Networks meter you have (24-hour or day/night), whether you are urban based or rural based, and finally, if you pay bills, whether you have direct debit and Electric Ireland Online Billing, we can advise.

And for gas, we just require that you confirm whether you pay bills (and if so, whether you pay by direct debit and have Online Billing) or have a PAYG gas meter.

Thanks again,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Hi Bloch,

The ValueReward plan only applies to bills rather than PAYG. Those figures seem like meter-readings, however if you confirm the following, we should be able to advise you for certain.

If you confirm whether you have bills or PAYG for electricity, the type of ESB Networks meter you have (24-hour or day/night), whether you are urban based or rural based, and finally, if you pay bills, whether you have direct debit and Electric Ireland Online Billing, we can advise.

And for gas, we just require that you confirm whether you pay bills (and if so, whether you pay by direct debit and have Online Billing) or have a PAYG gas meter.

Thanks again,
    Una
    Maybe this contract is from before the change to the PAYG meter.
    We top-up the meter online using a credit card and Keypad No and entering the code in the meter.
    https://electricireland.payzone.ie/Payment/MakeUnregPay

We have bills from Electric Ireland however for the gas. We pay online or at the post office - we don't have direct debit.

There is an ESB meter as well as the PAYG meter. I presume it is 24-hour, we have never had day/night rates.
    We are based in Dublin.

Where should I enquire to get a copy of our current contract? I don't seem to have anything specifically related to the PAYG meter - but I seem to recall agreeing to it over the phone and then the engineer came out.

Hi Bloch,

Thanks for getting back to us.

With the above information, we can confirm that you do not have ValueReward Dual Fuel any longer. That plan is for electricity and gas both paid by direct debit.

The ESB Networks meter determines what unit rate applies to a PAYG electricity meter at the same property. Electric Ireland's 24-hour electricity rate since 1st August is just under 19 cent per unit used (including VAT) and the 24-hour meter urban standing charge since 1st August is approximately 44 cent per day (including VAT). The Government PSO Levy is the same for all providers and this is just under 29 cent per day. There is a daily service charge for a PAYG meter also (from all companies that offer this type of meter). The Electric Ireland PAYG service charge is currently the lowest-cost such charge on the market. If your PAYG meter is a Smarter PAYG meter, this charge is 29 cent per day. If your PAYG meter is another type of PAYG meter, this charge is 19 cent per day.

The Electric Ireland gas rate since 1st August is 5.86 cent per unit used (including VAT), the standing charge since 1st August is approximately 27 cent per day (including VAT) and the carbon tax is the same for all gas providers - this is 0.042 of a cent per unit used.

An Electric Ireland contract is 12 months - when did you change from electricity billing to PAYG?

Thanks again,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

We changed to the PAYG meter on June 30,  2016.

I rang the Electric Ireland help line and I got the following information:

before VAT         with VAT 13.5%
    per unit                         15.87 cent          18.01 cent
    Standing charge              38.82 cent         44.06 cent
    PSO levy                         25.28 cent         28.69 cent
    Meter service                                 19 cent ??

I don't know whether the 19 cent per day meter service charge is before VAT or after - indeed I don't know for certain if it is 19 cents per day.

So the information provided by the meter (button 7): a unit rate of 18.01 (VAT incl) which seems different to the "just under 19" you mention.

Is there any way I can take a meter reading in units (KWh)? Currently the meter tells me only how much money I spend, not how many unitsper day / month etc.
    Can I obtain the information on how many units I have consumed per day / per month? 
    Is there a wayto get this info on the meter?

Hi Bloch,

We think you might have an older type of PAYG meter - if you private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number (or the telephone number on the account), stating that you are the account-holder and confirming your name, address and date of birth, we can check exactly what you are paying as soon as possible.

If you try pressing 9 on your PAYG meter, this should provide you with the details of your usage. See this link for further information. Otherwise, just note a meter-reading from the main ESB Networks meter, and then note another one the next day.

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement