Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare options...

Options
  • 11-09-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I'm trying to be a bit organised & pin down childcare for next summer when I return to work. We are looking at a creche, my partner works shift work that runs in a 3 week cycle so his days off change weekly. I believe we will need to put our son in full time & we can keep him out on the days that suit, is this an option or am i mad?? Any advice appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have no experience of creches but from what I hear, they wouldn't really have that level of flexibility-they tend to stick to set days in a week.A childminder may be your better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No one can really give you concrete answers. You'll need to contact every crèche. I don't know any around here that have much flexibility though. You pay for full time care regardless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I previously had my son in a creche 4 days a week. So it's possible.

Current place he's in now, is for after school and they've a price plan in place for charging by time. But I pay by the week. Just to make sure he has somewhere to go, in case something comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

We have a childminder. We send my toddler 2-3 days a week. We decide each week how many days. We have changed around the days as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It depends on the creche. Busier creches will be less flexible. We have ours in a creche, they do 4 days every second week. The owner has averaged out the cost so we pay the same amount every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Again depends on the creche, most I talked to charged for 5 days use. i.e. no reduction if you chose to only put him/her in for 4 days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lots of creches do 2 day one week, 3 the next, 4 the next and back to 2.

But if you are in receipt of government funding it is a nightmare for the creches so a lot wont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My grandaughter went to a creche one day a week and they charged for one day only . It was paid per month

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

John Mason wrote: »
    lots of creches do 2 day one week, 3 the next, 4 the next and back to 2.

But if you are in receipt of government funding it is a nightmare for the creches so a lot wont do it

That would be ideal as we could work around my partner's shift. We will be paying for this ourselves so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for this

Advertisement