Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA - Delivery/Collection

Options
  • 11-09-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Just had an online chat with a very helpful IKEA rep.

I then phoned them and spoke to another IKEA rep to confirm what I had been told, coz I couldn't believe my ears.

I want to buy a new mattress from IKEA.

Purchase and delivery of the mattress can ONLY be done online. Fair enough - suits me not having to traipse all the way to Ballymun.

But, wait for it........

Arrangement for removal of my old mattress can ONLY be done by visiting an IKEA store. I CANNOT do this online at the same time as the purchase.

You couldn't make it up.

Service? You must be joking!

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I don't believe it.

But, it’s true.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Tell Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Some of their mattresses are rolled up when you buy them and would fit in a car. Could save you a delivery fee?

I know some of the really big ones can't so may not apply here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What's the consumer issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

They don’t send out a delivery truck with your order, They deliver via An Post Parcel Service. I can understand why you need to go to the store to arrange collection of your old mattress and the postman ain’t gonna take it in his van. (Who wants to dispose of a pizzy old mattress?)
    They’re under no obligation to take your old mattesss back, it’s not like the WEEE recycling arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dinarius wrote: »
    But, it’s true.

D.

Surely not. Fo reelz?

TheShow wrote: »
    They don’t send out a delivery truck with your order, They deliver via An Post Parcel Service. I can understand why you need to go to the store to arrange collection of your old mattress and the postman ain’t gonna take it in his van. (Who wants to dispose of a pizzy old mattress?)
    They’re under no obligation to take your old mattesss back, it’s not like the WEEE recycling arrangement.

That’s not strictly the point.

They are offering the service, but making it just about not worth someone’s while availing of it.

You go online, buy the mattress, pay an additional €44 for its delivery (to south Dublin), and you now have to drive all the way to Ballymun to engage in a separate transaction to have the old one collected.

I’m happy to pay another €€ to have the old one taken away, WEEE or no WEEE.

But, don’t offer me a service where two parts of the transaction can (and MUST!) be completed online, while I must spend almost half-a-day completing the third part by driving to IKEA.

That’s just pure BS.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Which mattress are you looking at? It could be one of the rolled ones. If so just stuff the old mattress in your car and save yourself €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Wheety wrote: »
    Which mattress are you looking at? It could be one of the rolled ones. If so just stuff the old mattress in your car and save yourself €45.

What about the smell of pizzzz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread title edited to be .... well normal, not click bait.

dudara

Ordered mattress last Thursday for delivery this coming Friday.

A friend suggested asking if collection of the old mattress could be arranged at Carrickmines (much closer) rather than Ballymun.

So, had both phone and webchat (again, belt-and-braces, after previous experience) Told them that new mattress was ordered and wished to arrange collection of old one which I couldn’t arrange online. Was told by both that collection would have to be arranged at a “main store” and not Carrickmines.

Detoured to Ballymun Ikea this afternoon on return from south.

Asked where to arrange collection of old mattress. Was told Customer Service. Then told, bed department. Then told Home Delivery.

After about 20 minutes and two false arrivals, we got to Home Delivery. Very friendly assistant said he wasn’t able to access (as in edit) our order, though he could see it on the screen. He went in search of a manager.

Manager explained that, since the mattress was an online-order-only item, it was coming from the UK. Only mattresses that are purchased in Ballymun can have collection of the old mattress arranged. (Yes, I know. Go figure.)

We explained that four contacts with customer service (2 x phone, 2 x webchat) had not stated this. Manager (very polite and courteous) said there was nothing she could do about this.

We cancelled the order. The manager said no need to do it online; she would look after it. Am awaiting email confirmation.

In my opinion, this displays weapons-grade contempt for the customer on Ikea’s part. Patently, they do not wish to offer this service at all, so why not simply say so?

Peanuts and monkeys? Looks like it.

D.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not sure what the issue is, delivery service and collection service are different / separate.

The guys delivering your mattress are not the ones who will collect old mattresses (which is common with Irish furniture stores). It's also quite clear you have have to organise old furniture removal in-store, and this can't be done online https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/customer-service/services-at-ikea/removal-recycling/

Any time i've had to do it, it's been flawless, they just ask to see your receipt or order confirmation showing you've made a purchase of a new item.

We suggested cancelling the order there and then and starting anew on the spot, buying a new mattress *and* arranging collection of the old one.

Manager said this wasn’t possible since the new mattress is not a Ballymun Ikea stock item; it’s a UK import.

Why this should make a difference, since you seem to know that those delivering new/collecting old are not the same people, is a mystery apart from the apparent total lack of joined-up thinking on Ikea’s part.

If one of the four online correspondents had known this, I would have saved myself about half-a-day.

So, to answer you question as regards what the problem is; well, in truth, I don’t know either.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

well...their delviery service is appalling too.

We bought >2k worth of goods off them to be delivered (couch & a few other things). They say they can deliver to any room in your house you wish (As long as its safe to do so). Well the couch was going into the attic room. Delivery guy when told they had to go up 2 sets of stairs refused point blank & said he'd be leaving it in the hall. His reason was the stairs is too small. Funnily enough the house is built in the last 2 years to all current regs & attic stairs is as wide as the main stairs (house was built to be 3 storeys from the get go).

Delivery lad fecks off while I call their customer service line about it. Customer service give me the same nonsense about attic stairs etc. When I explained it all to them and their T&Cs clearly stating "to any room in the house" they called the driver back to move the couch. Which he did....and with no bother to him.

But as a customer I shouldnt have had to ring customer service because their delivery guy didnt want to honour their T&Cs.

BUYER BEWARE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

^^^^
    Did you sign for the couch when left in your hall?

What annoys me about customer service is they are based in UK and cannot answer queries related to stock, returns etc without a further call to warehouses.

Delivery men are contractors and just interested in getting items in the door and signed for. Anytime I had deliveries they seemed hard pushed for time.
    They seem to be contracted for deliveries or collections but surprisingly not both.
    On the face of it, seems very inefficient for them and annoying to customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Cerco wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Did you sign for the couch when left in your hall?

Wife was there at the time & said she was extremely intimidated by them. she'd have signed anything.

For the record:

Having been through the mill with Ikea and their on/off information about collecting the old mattress (they don’t in Ireland - but, their UK helpline doesn’t appear to know this)...

When we were told about ecomattress.ie and their old mattress collection service, we decided to give Ikea another go. They stock the odd-size mattress we were looking for and the price is unbeatable.

1. The mattress was delivered to the wrong address. The woman who received it (along with all the stuff she had ordered) kindly phoned me and offered to drop it over to me. I declined since if it was damaged in any way (not by her, but by the delivery people) or of it was the wrong mattress, Ikea might not stand over it.

2. I contacted Ikea and they said they would deal with the problem immediately and have it delivered to me.

3. The mattress arrived 16 days later.

4. That said, the mattress is superb. It is as firm as a yoga mat, which is what we like. It arrives rolled and takes about 72 hours to fully unfold and fill out. Though you can sleep on it during this time.

5. Ecomattress were excellent. We were able to pay online and leave the mattress outside the door for collection.

6. The cost to Ikea combined with the cost of collecting the old mattress made the total cost well worth the wait, Ikea’s communication, customer service and delivery notwithstanding.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thethinker

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not sure what the issue is, delivery service and collection service are different / separate.

The guys delivering your mattress are not the ones who will collect old mattresses (which is common with Irish furniture stores). It's also quite clear you have have to organise old furniture removal in-store, and this can't be done online

Any time i've had to do it, it's been flawless, they just ask to see your receipt or order confirmation showing you've made a purchase of a new item.

Not sure how anyone could not see the issue. The customer was not informed his online order would result in him being unable to request collection of old mattress. Not to mention being messed around in-store. Additionally, there is the illogic of not collecting an old mattress when delivering new. Surely it would make sense to use their own vans for this. Even if that means slower delivery, normal people would choose to wait additiinal days over having an old mattress propped up against a wall in their house, awaiting separate collection once delivery of new confirmed. And if most furniture stores do it an illogical way, that does not exempt them from criticism. Are you sure you are operating within the specificatiins of your moderator role when siding with the company in the manner you did?

Advertisement