Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of removal notices

Options
  • 11-09-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Looked for a similar thread but didn't see anything on the specific topic. Just wondering about the legality of "bicycles attached to these railings will be removed without notice" notices - both in public and in private spaces (offices, apartment complexes, etc) and the remover's responsibility if a bike is actually removed?

I would have assumed it's a notice you couldn't follow through on but given their prevalence, they must have some sort of legal basis?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you secure a bike to someone else's property without permission I don't think a removal notice is required. The owner can simply remove it from their property

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I had a bike removed from bike parking within an apartment complex after such a notice was posted. I didn't know it was there as my bike was loaned to the person living there and they were away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect you could have better luck posting in the legal issues forum; this is an issue not really specific to bikes (from a legal standpoint).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Hurrache wrote: »
    I had a bike removed from bike parking within an apartment complex after such a notice was posted. I didn't know it was there as my bike was loaned to the person living there and they were away.

Why was a no bike sign posted up at a bike parking space? What happened to your bike in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There were bikes presumably either abandoned or unused like mine just sitting there so the management company wanted rid. It took me a long time to figure out where it was and once I tracked it down they said it was 'disposed'. At the time I had lost interest in cycling and the bike was old enough so I never pushed it further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement