Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting A Landlord

• 11-09-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

So I believe my previous landlord who I was staying with is dodgy. I don't believe he has his house registered at all with RTB. He rents his house to 5 people in a house share. I can't see it on here with the Eircode.

My main concern is, what am I getting myself into by reporting him to RTB? If I report his property will RTB take care of him / fine him?

Can I forget about it once its done and have nothing to do with him or the property again?

The fact that I paid him rent, for just under a year, do I get in trouble too? Although how was I to know, until now when I actually looked into it?

I am sure he is renting it illegally. The fact he only takes cash, and there was no paper work involved.

Comments

Build a bridge......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

You’re not living there now so what concern is It of yours. Sounds more like you have a grudge about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Your landlord who you were living with.. well then he wasn’t your landlord and you weren’t is tenant..you were a licensee and he wasn’t required to register the tenancy so move on.

Even if he was and registers now it would be a late filing so he would pay €180 instead of €90 to register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

JustShay wrote: »
    So I believe my previous landlord who I was staying with is dodgy. I don't believe he has his house registered at all with RTB. He rents his house to 5 people in a house share. I can't see it on here with the Eircode.

My main concern is, what am I getting myself into by reporting him to RTB? If I report his property will RTB take care of him / fine him?

Can I forget about it once its done and have nothing to do with him or the property again?

The fact that I paid him rent, for just under a year, do I get in trouble too? Although how was I to know, until now when I actually looked into it?

I am sure he is renting it illegally. The fact he only takes cash, and there was no paper work involved.

report what exactly?
    that his property does not have an eircode?
    that he accepted cash?
    that there is no paperwork?

the rtb may write to him. he (a) retrospectively pays the 180 fee or (b) does nothing or (c) decides to wait and see if the rtb wants to take action. he can deny your a tenant. have you paperwork proving you were a tenant? would you be prepared to sit around the round table and face down the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

Your landlord who you were living with.. well then he wasn’t your landlord and you weren’t is tenant..you were a licensee and he wasn’t required to register the tenancy so move on.

This.

You were a licensee, not a tenenat therefore he didn't have to register anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Were you living with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

For about 2 months yes, until he moved out and got somebody else to replace him.
    Build a bridge......
    no
    TheShow wrote: »
    You’re not living there now so what concern is It of yours. Sounds more like you have a grudge about something.

I asked him for a reference and he went off on one saying I didn't leave the room clean when I left. I'm a clean person, and left it like anybody else would.

He still hasn't given me a reference, and I was a good tenant. At this stage I'm sick of him and want to report him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

For about 2 months yes, until he moved out and got somebody else to replace him.
    Build a bridge......
    no
    TheShow wrote: »

I asked him for a reference and he went off on one saying I didn't leave the room clean when I left. I'm a clean person, and left it like anybody else would.

He still hasn't given me a reference, and I was a good tenant. At this stage I'm sick of him and want to report him.

A reference off someone you lived with first two months. This seems to be your main concern.report him for what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

A reference off someone you lived with first two months. This seems to be your main concern.report him for what ?

Did you read the opening post?

And they're looking for a reference from his as a landlord, not a roommate, The OP stayed for just under a year, again, which would be clear if you had actually read through the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

no

Well throwing your toys out of the pram is definitely the way to go :rolleyes:

On the scale of cleanliness, where is "left it like anybody else would" located?

You sound very spiteful and the landlord obviously wants nothing more to do with you.

So you are really just reporting him for nothing just because you didn't get your way, lol. Very mature in deed :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not only that but cash is fine and legal tender. He is allowed to take in 14k tax free if renting out rooms if he is living there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just move on and let go of whatever grudge you are holding onto. Life is just too short.

Its his house, when I moved in he was living in it with his girlfriend, and there were 3 other tenants. He moved out about 2-3 months later, and I stayed in the house for a further 6-8 months.

All I asked for, was a reference. I put it nicely in a text. I even said I'd type it and put his contact details down so he wouldn't have to do anything.

Then he replied saying, "you left and didn't clean the room, just because I gave you the deposit back the previous night.". Making me out to be a right inconsiderate slob.

I'm a tidy person and hovered the room at least every 2 weeks. I told him this. Then he replies aggressively saying, again "it wasn't clean." And just being a general a hole...

Can you see why I'm annoyed. I asked for a reference and he bit my head off, and blowing something out of proportion which occurred a year ago.

I then said, "we'll see what RTB say so".

And then he said, "I was actually going to give you a reference if you apologised."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You left a year ago?

davo10 wrote: »
    You left a year ago?

July last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

July last year!

I was on your side most of this thread until this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Lovely tenant 🙄

A reference is not a legal requirement and if someone told me they were going to report them after a year I’d tell them where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

You come across as a really nice person, I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't get a glowing reference twelve months later, especially after throwing around a few threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

It sounds like you didn't actually clean the room properly to his standard. Why would he lie and deny you a reference otherwise? Was there some other issue you had with him or with his girlfriend? He gave you back the deposit so doesn't sound that bad. Hovering alone isn't cleaning by the way so perhaps he wasn't happy with something else. To deny you a reference must be a proper reason? Did you take a picture of the room before you left? Did you leave stuff behind in the room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Hoovered every 2 weeks? Clean freak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

uncivil posts deleted.

handlemaster / JustJoe7240 attack the post not the poster.

What a bananas thread........

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Hi Op, 

Previous posts are correct , while living there he doesn't have to pay tax up to 14k,so unless your rent was per tenant under 60euro per week , he should be paying tax on the full amount.  whatever about the RTB I would be more worried about the taxman catching up with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

The landlord wasn't living there for 10 months out of the 12 the op was living there. The property should have been registered. Report him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Now I see why small landlords are leaving the sector in droves. The OP is an embittered and twisted individual who now wants to report a landlord for various imaginary infractions and for his refusal to issue a reference and bow to this individuals twisted will.

If the room was untidy and left in an unsanitary state the landlord would be lying by giving this individual a good reference. This is why many letting Agents will only give sparse details such as start and end dates of leases and will not entertain any more details in references, many large corporations now do this for work references, no details as to the quality of the worker in work references etc.

It is possible that the landlord has moved in with his girlfriend or his or her parents to save money on a large mortgage with high interest and was forced to let out to other external people in order to save money. His replacements might even be close relatives so if you did not have any lease signed by you and your fellow housemates then you do not have a leg to stand on. Room lettings where an owner is in residence are not covered by the RTB. You would have to prove that there is no house owner in the house or his close relatives paying no rent in order to get the RTB to act.

Since you were paying cash and have no records or receipts, good luck proving that the landlord was not in residence during your stay in the house.

The way that REIT's work is to have 90% or more of a large body of tenants paying rents on time and keeping their houses in order. This allows large organisations like these to hire professional legal and enforcement workers to go after the 10% or so that are late in their payments. As for the small number who do not pay rents and overhold, these are dealt with by professional experts through the courts and if they have any money or assets any rents due will be recovered.Only poor and destitute people can think to get away without paying rents to large REIT's.

Small single house landlords, which dominated the Irish market until recently, could not afford to do this.This is why they are leaving the rental sector in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stinkbomb

doolox wrote: »
    Now I see why small landlords are leaving the sector in droves. The OP is an embittered and twisted individual who now wants to report a landlord for various imaginary infractions and for his refusal to issue a reference and bow to this individuals twisted will.

They are not imagined infractions. Landlord is not registered or paying tax and is not operating within the law. OP is not "twisted" for pointing out these facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

stinkbomb wrote: »
    They are not imagined infractions. Landlord is not registered or paying tax and is not operating within the law. OP is not "twisted" for pointing out these facts.

I agree it is suspicious, but not being registered with RTB is not automatically illegal. Maybe the landlord doesn't live there, but a family member of his does live there with the other tenants. Maybe it is the landlords main Irish residence. It is possible (for example) to be tax resident in Ireland and spend very little time here. And also the assumption that 'cash' means 'not paying tax' is also not necessarily the case.

Even if he is not registered, there are few benefits for registration for the landlord, but zero impact on the tenant. Maybe he just cannot be bothered.

Notwithstanding all of this... if you feel that you (or society) would be better off... then just report him (it is super easy) and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is a Landlord obliged to give a tenant a reference?

Is a Landlord obliged to give a tenant a reference?

No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement