Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed Job - Think I Made A Mistake!

Options
  • 11-09-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I worked in a role in a company for the last few years in which the day to day work (ICT-ish area) suited me down the the ground but the atmosphere was toxic and the place was going down the tubes so for my own sanity, I pretty much had to move.

I've started a new job in a much more corporate environment and a more managerial role and I think I've made a big mistake. I think I'm just the day to day work guy who enjoys doing the hands on work at a certain level. What's more due to skills gaps I'm immediately being pushed into filling a gap which is another step above my level and I don't feel equipped for it. (There is no one in the org now who would know more than me and could guide me.)

I think I could easily get another job or just freelance. I'm pretty experienced in my industry. I know it's crazy but there is a voice in my head that should just hold up my hands, say I've made a mistake and do something else.

Thanks for listening!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kathryn1985

misjudge wrote: »
    Hi

I worked in a role in a company for the last few years in which the day to day work (ICT-ish area) suited me down the the ground but the atmosphere was toxic and the place was going down the tubes so for my own sanity, I pretty much had to move.

I've started a new job in a much more corporate environment and a more managerial role and I think I've made a big mistake. I think I'm just the day to day work guy who enjoys doing the hands on work at a certain level. What's more due to skills gaps I'm immediately being pushed into filling a gap which is another step above my level and I don't feel equipped for it. (There is no one in the org now who would know more than me and could guide me.)

I think I could easily get another job or just freelance. I'm pretty experienced in my industry. I know it's crazy but there is a voice in my head that should just hold up my hands, say I've made a mistake and do something else.

Thanks for listening!

Hi,

Since it early days yet you have to give yourself time to learn the ropes and adjust. Depending on the role, could be anywhere from 6 months to a year. If the work culture and organization is good and you feel you could stick around to give it a chance, then do.
    If it is not working out after a set period of time where you have given yourself a fair opportunity at the job, then no harm looking to see what else is on the market. But don’t hand in your notice without having a job lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

How long are you in the new role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree with Kathryn. It's early days yet so give it a chance. You're probably feeling overwhelmed, and the fight or flight voice in your head is making you want to run away.

I started a job once, which was way over my head, and the deal I made with myself was this: You're not allowed quit. The only way you're leaving is if they fire you.

Two years later I'm the CTO...

But I do completely understand what you mean when you say you're more of an engineer than a manager. I am too. But give the job a shot. Try to survive 6 months. If you still feel the same way, you can revert back to an engineering role.

Remind yourself you're not in danger, and the absolute worst case scenario is they think you're ****, fire you, and you go get a new job. It's ok.

Advertisement