Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to the Algarve and costs del sol

Options
  • 11-09-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Planning next year's golf trip.
    Have done the Algarve and costs del sol to death at this stage.

Any others alternatives out there.

Nothing overall expensive but must have a lovely enough apres golf.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some good golf around Lisbon. Weather a bit different from the Algarve, tends to be a bit cloudiier, but there's plenty of good weather as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tenerife

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

slave1 wrote: »
    Tenerife
    Has Tenerife got more than one golf course? Last time I was there, I think they had one and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

prawnsambo wrote:
    Some good golf around Lisbon. Weather a bit different from the Algarve, tends to be a bit cloudiier, but there's plenty of good weather as well.

I'd agree. Good golf and a great city to explore in the evening. Caiscais/Estoril is a good base - lots of good courses within easy reach and a short hop into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d the same feeling last week when booking next year’s trip.

But when you factor in flight times, transfer times, and the fact that most of our group are never knowingly sober for the duration, the Algarve puts it on a plate for us. Everywhere else is more work and more inconvenience.

But in a bold move we are leaving Vilamoura this time and staying in Albufeira!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Has Tenerife got more than one golf course? Last time I was there, I think they had one and a half.

? Not sure it’s ever had 1.5 courses, there’s plenty to sel3ct from and it’s held multiple European Tour events too

Here’s a list of 7 courses there...
    https://www.mypremiumeurope.com/golf/spain/top-courses-tenerife.htm

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

boban z wrote: »
    Planning next year's golf trip.
    Have done the Algarve and costs del sol to death at this stage.

Any others alternatives out there.

Nothing overall expensive but must have a lovely enough apres golf.

Cheers

How far are you willing to fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

Just back from Murcia. Second time going there. Got an early flight into Alicante and evening flight out of Murcia. This allowed us to play golf on arrival and departure day. Played Las Colinas, Lo Romero and La Finca. Las Colinas was the pick of them. Rates were good as start of September is still low season.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

Fly to Barcelona, drive 1 hr north to PGA Catalunya. 2 top notch courses and an exceptional hotel and pool. Girona is a short drive away for shopping and dining options.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Mission hills in China. Always wanted to do a 2 week trip and play all 12 courses. Bit of a Marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Johannesburg, KLM flights as cheap as 460, flights overnight so you dont lose that much time. 16-18 hours door to door

The golf is cheap, the courses immaculate and the apres golf is a blast.

thewobbler wrote: »
    But in a bold move we are leaving Vilamoura this time and staying in Albufeira!

Lovely spot if you stay away from the strip, the strip is grand for what it is of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Magic Pips wrote: »
    Johannesburg, KLM flights as cheap as 460, flights overnight so you dont lose that much time. 16-18 hours door to door

The golf is cheap, the courses immaculate and the apres golf is a blast.

I was going to suggest SA as well, Western Cape. The rand is very weak at the moment. Food is very cheap for very good food and the golf courses are fantastic.

Advertisement