Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden shutter lo era from pallet wood

Options
  • 11-09-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I will shortly be undertaking the taste of making my own wooden shutters using the rockler jigs.
    Upon thinking of what wood id use for the lovers I was thinking what the viability is of using pallet wood.
    Would I be able to router the louver shape and then sand it down. They will be painted at the end so I'm really only concerned with the cut not being smooth with the router.
    What do you guys reckon? Doable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

seannash wrote: »
    Hi,
    I will shortly be undertaking the taste of making my own wooden shutters using the rockler jigs.
    Upon thinking of what wood id use for the lovers I was thinking what the viability is of using pallet wood.
    Would I be able to router the louver shape and then sand it down. They will be painted at the end so I'm really only concerned with the cut not being smooth with the router.
    What do you guys reckon? Doable?

Any pallet wood I've used is poor quality and full of knots. I think you might be over economising :D I would buy some poplar wood which is freely available and good for painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

recipio wrote: »
    Any pallet wood I've used is poor quality and full of knots. I think you might be over economising :D I would buy some poplar wood which is freely available and good for painting.

Poplar was my second choice alright.Dont think I'd know where to get it free though but still inexpesive. I've a few scraps of pallet wood lying around so I might just see if I can router them to the desired shape without issue and paint them and see what they look like.

Advertisement