Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RR World Champs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

velo.2010 wrote: »
    A deserved victory for Valverde, adding to all he has achieved up until now.

I suppose the question is... How much is Valverde as an athlete diminished by the Puerto association and the subsequent ban? Is he still a great rider even if he allegedly stopped doping after 2006/08. If he did dope and stop, were there long term benefits to allow him to train at a higher level compared to if he was a clean rider.

Of course, some will believe he and others in the sport have and continue to do things to improve their performance outside what is legal or considered morally right.

He’s racing better now than he did doping. Don’t think it’s a good day for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

RobFowl wrote: »
    Valverde is a doper but he's one who took his ban and kept stumm, the type the sport likes.
    He's a decent guy and and far from the worst.
    He is the champion the sport deserves.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

velo.2010 wrote: »
    A deserved victory for Valverde, adding to all he has achieved up until now.

I suppose the question is... How much is Valverde as an athlete diminished by the Puerto association and the subsequent ban? Is he still a great rider even if he allegedly stopped doping after 2006/08. If he did dope and stop, were there long term benefits to allow him to train at a higher level compared to if he was a clean rider.

Of course, some will believe he and others in the sport have and continue to do things to improve their performance outside what is legal or considered morally right.

I took a heap of dope between 1993 and 2003. Won a race this year.... Just sayin....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well done Alejandro! 7 medals so far, and the very first gold at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Well done to Bardet and Woods. Shame Dumoulin couldn't make it three riders to believe in from three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Cycling died a little today, worst result possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Sagan put the gold around Valverde’s neck. Classy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted for Valverde. That climb was something else. Kudos to Dumoulin, would have liked to see him get a medal after the effort he made to get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Bambaata wrote: »
    Cycling died a little today, worst result possible

Yawn, a bit dramatic...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yawn, a bit dramatic...

It's not Yawn though, unless you're happy to bury your head in the sand as to the issue at hand.

Some of the very people who are most vocal on here about their disdain for Sky and in particular Froome, are for some weird reason delighted for Valverde who was implicated in one of the dirtiest scandals ever in the sport.

It doesn't make sense? Panache and aggression shouldn't be enough to excuse a shady past.

He's great to watch and all, but he's very much a reminder of the sports past, and just like I don't think Justin Gatlin has a right to be recognised as sprint champion, I think Valverde should also be cast under serious doubt given his past indiscretion and suspension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

No great fan of Valverde but no doubting the strongest man won today. If he is contending in the last few Kms he invariably seems to win, to my mind his racecraft is peerless in the current peloton. I watched the last 30k and thought it was a great contest. Talk about a selective finish, 20 contenders at the bottom of the last climb got whittled down to 4. Sagan presenting the medal was pure class, and boy was Valverde emotional. He said it was the greatest win of his career. When you consider he has a GT and multiple monuments to his name that must be saying something. I normally hate the fecker but seeing how much it meant after missing out multiple times, for once I was strangely happy for him. This is one f*cked up sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

I'd have liked Valgran or Woods to do this business. Class race though. Loads of coverage for the Irish lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sagan is a class act. His been my favourite rider for years despite some of his childish antics a few years back.

But with regards valverde, did I hear correct that his like 61kg at 5ft 11"

He's about 5'7/8

Weepsie wrote: »
    He's about 5'7/8

Ok that make a little more sense, but that's very low bodyweight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

He's about 57/8

I corrected that

Valverde listed as 5'10'' and 61 or 62 kg in most place I checked. I'm the same age and 5'9 and wouldn't have been that light even when I ran marathons.

Valverde listed as 5'10'' and 61 or 62 kg in most place I checked. I'm the same age and 5'9 and wouldn't have been that light even when I ran marathons.

lightest i ever was when i was gearing up to race(many years ago mind) was 73kg at 5'11" and i looked unwell if i'm honest

I see 1.77 metres in most places which for some reason Wiki has as 5'10 when it's at least 2inches shorter.
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    lightest i ever was when i was gearing up to race(many years ago mind) was 73kg at 5'11" and i looked unwell if i'm honest

Same for me last year. I was just under 73 for the first time since I was a teenager I'd say and it wasn't the best look. Now I ensure I have my cake stop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's some monkey to get off your back. Delighted for Valverde. You could see how much it meant to him when he crossed the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Eurosport fcuked it up for me ..........

Set to record, and I got Car racing + snooker...... Proper cnuts !!!!
    Speaking of which , Valverde won !!??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

greenspurs wrote: »
    Eurosport fcuked it up for me ..........

Set to record, and I got Car racing + snooker...... Proper cnuts !!!!
    Speaking of which , Valverde won !!??

Aye Eurosport didn't have the rights to the Elite mens and womens races, was on the Beeb, with brutal commetary, instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye Eurosport didn't have the rights to the Elite mens and womens races, was on the Beeb, with brutal commetary, instead.

You sure? I watched it on Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Inquitus wrote: »

Didn't know that. I had the Eurosport player on. Rob Hayles and Ant McCrossan. Not too bad, but jesus they wouldn't stop banging on about the jerseys, and making commentators lives easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Weepsie wrote:
    It's not Yawn though, unless you're happy to bury your head in the sand as to the issue at hand.

Those burying their head and in the sand are the ones who think any elite athlete is clean these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

eagle eye wrote: »
    Those burying their head and in the sand are the ones who think any elite athlete is clean these days.
    I think some are, but I really hate the crap that those that get popped get compared to those that get a pass as "they've never tested positive". Facebook full of Brits giving out about "Dirty" or "Doper" Valverde, but would've been going on about the clean sweep if Simon Yates* had won.

*I'm fully aware of the circumstances with Simon Yates, and how it's not a like for like comparison, but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I see 1.77 metres in most places which for some reason Wiki has as 5'10 when it's at least 2inches shorter.

Same for me last year. I was just under 73 for the first time since I was a teenager I'd say and it wasn't the best look. Now I ensure I have my cake stop.

I'm 5'8'' and probably 63/64kgs and tho it helps going uphill, to be honest I think I'd like a bit of weight on, even 2-3kgs. My brother says I look very fit but I think I've looked better when a little heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this now a thread about how we're all fatter than Valverde? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Commentator: "And Dan Martin, one of pre-race favourites, is dropped! That just shows you how tough this course is."

Me: "Eh, no. That just shows you how tough having new born twins is."

Advertisement